ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A 1st BIKE? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR A 1st BIKE?

My wife and I have a female friend who is going to start riding and I was wondering if anyone would suggest what type of BMW would be a good starter bike. She is a small-framed person so she would need a lighter bike that's easier to balance and handle.

Jack Homesley
Cornelius, NC USA
'06 Goldwing - "The Black Pearl"
Too many others to list...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 9:05 pm

If it has to be a BMW, the F650GS comes to mind. Just remember this: Never discard a bike because it's too tall. Weight means more than height. You can always find ways to lower a bike. (I just lowered a Kaw ZZR600 for a friend yesterday.) What's a lot harder is making a bike lighter.

I will always contend that the best starter bike for a woman is a Kawasaki Ninja 250. Low seat height, light, very user friendly, cheap ($3K new, $1800 used & in great condition), with lots of spare parts out there, and a great online network of support. And 1 to 2 years later the lady can always move up to a bigger, more powerful bike.

My
post #3 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 9:16 pm

BMW really doesn't have good starter bikes. For a first bike please get a used disposable bike. My sister in-law didn't listen to me and bought a new bike to learn on. Been dropped too many times. You can get the new bike afterwards. As to BMW, Joe is on track with the F series. My wife liked the F-650-CS (city run about).

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.

post #4 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 9:56 pm

If it has to be a BMW then an F650 with a lowering kit to accommodate her small frame. But there are a bunch of non-BMW bikes out there that could make a much better starter bike - Rebel 250, Ninja 250, SV 650, Nighthawk 647, or some of the small displacement chinese and Kerean bikes that are entering the US market this year.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #5 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:42 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'd suggest a Honda Rebel or similar.. a nice used one... but at least a bike around a 350CC.. that way should she decide she's not a "rider", not much money is lost.

Depending on where you live, a nice "enduro" dirt/street bike would be good...easy to flick around and pick up if dropped...

Then, spend time riding/shifting/braking in the dirt... less likely for "teachable moments" to do permanent harm to her self esteem.

After a week of serious "offroading" she should be comfortable with some street riding.. If she's still up to it, she can ride to the BMW shop to trade for the F650!!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 6:51 am

IMO the Ninja 250 cannot be beat for a first timer, especially if she's a shorter rider. Upright ergos, 300 lbs, a seat height of around 29 inches, and absolutely bulletproof. The F650 with a low seat is a good choice if she won't be getting out on the highway much. The Ninja cuts through the air much better than the BMW.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

post #7 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 7:19 am

Everything you ever wanted to know about the BMW F650:http://www.f650.com/

Don Mosley MSgt, USAF, Retired
Colorado Springs, CO
05 K1200LT, 06 F650GS

post #8 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 8:51 am

Short bike list for the wee people http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.sbl.html

Rock
post #9 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 9:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Short bike list for the wee people http://www.nebcom.com/noemi/moto/sbl.sbl.html
That don't account for inseam measurements though . . . odd.
post #10 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:27 am

If you're going with BMW the F650 is a good choice. IF you can find a good used K75 that is also a great bike for the smaller rider especially if it has the lowered seat kit.
post #11 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:22 pm
Lifetime Supporter

She can also increase her effective inseam if needed with thicker boot soles.

Motor On ,/'

post #12 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 3:54 pm

Start small

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
My wife and I have a female friend who is going to start riding and I was wondering if anyone would suggest what type of BMW would be a good starter bike. She is a small-framed person so she would need a lighter bike that's easier to balance and handle.
My wife had a blast learning on her BRAND NEW 650GS. The problem was ground handling - she kept on falling over whilst stationary! (This kept me at the dealers buying - mirrors - mirrors - mirrors). Riding was no problem. She soon loved it and did 1000miles in 3 days! Found any excuse to go for a ride. I would like to say that the 650GS is the way to go, but with hindsight, a 250 Suzuki or Yamaha(like they use in the motorcycle academy) is the way to go at first.

I would rather be riding my bike and thinking about God than sitting in Church thinking about my bike!

Regards
Allen
post #13 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 11:16 am
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccpastorjack
Howdy Jack,

I would suggest she try out two bikes for size:

R1150R(I prefer the
"Rockster", like a German Ducati Monster )

and the R1200C .

My guess is that if she is height challenged, say under 5'4", the R1200C is the best bet.

You should be able to find good bikes at low prices and I strongly suggest, insist, that it have ABS.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Aug 17th, 2006 at 1:22 pm. Reason: add link for reference
post #14 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1
She can also increase her effective inseam if needed with thicker boot soles.
A nice young lady in one of the Riding Classes I took had boots with thick soles so that she could reach the ground on her new H-D. The bikes we were riding were not H-D's and she was not able to change the gears because of the thick soles and was having trouble with the rear brake. She ended up going home at lunch to change boots to be able to complete the class. She also said she was sorry she purchased the H-D.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #15 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Jack,

My wife started on this bike:

She is just at 5' tall and had no problems handling it. She decided that she perfers to ride the LT with me so she doesnt ride as much as she thought she would. Plus she wants to go back to school, so this very bike is for sale if your friend is interested!

You can check out the details Here.

-Ekim
2005 K1200LT (R.I.P.)
Manchester, MD

post #16 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekim
Jack,

My wife started on this bike:

[Insert V-Star pic here]

She is just at 5' tall and had no problems handling it.
A friend of mine that is very "vertically challenged" bought that exact bike this year as his starter bike. He really likes it.

I still like the Ninja 250 as a female starter bike. But if she wants a cruiser, the 650 V-Star is an excellent choice. Enough power, but not too much.
post #17 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Our daughters (not so vertically challenged) started their street riding on a V-Star 650 - it's a great starter bike, cheap, and is pretty easy to sell when it's time to upgrade. The next bike for them was a Ninja 500, then they were tired of sharing and now have a Suzuki SV650 and a Yamaha YZF600R, both of which are faaaar superior to the BMW 650, I think.
post #18 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 5:48 pm

The Buell Blast is not a bad first bike. For a one cylinder bike it has some pep too.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #19 of 21 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 6:24 pm

Don't know if they're still making them, but the Virago 575 from Yamaha is light small, but nimble enough for the freeway.

Rich S~

'06 Ocean Blue Metallic LT (mine)
'15 Grey 328d (ours)
post #20 of 21 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 7:12 am

125 cc dirt bike. Learn to ride before you learn to ride on the road. It hurts alot less if you fall on grass and don't get hit by a car.

After that then a small street bike.
post #21 of 21 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 7:43 am

My wife learned on a Kawasaki 454 in high school and my mom, at 64, got her license two years ago on an old Kaw KZ450. She doesn't ride it much so they loan it out to other ladies learning to ride in their Goldwinger club.

Lurch
'40 knucklehead chop
'00 LTC - Pacific Blue
--------------------------------
"As the light changed from red to green to yellow and back to red again, I sat there thinking about life. Was it nothing more than a bunch of honking and yelling? Sometimes it seemed that way. - Jack Handy

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in