She's gone! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 7:12 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy She's gone!

I was wanting to upgrade my ride but the last thing I considered was that somebody would want my roadster before I found a replacement. Today her new owner rode her away and I wasn't ready for this feeling of melancholy.

Sandy
Temporary tourist in the lower 48 states
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Aug 12th, 2006, 7:37 pm
was

Ouch. I feel your pain. Never easy to say goodbye to a cherished bike, and that must go double when you can't go for a ride to ease your pain. But, if it is any consolation, you now can focus completely on the search for your new ride. Good luck.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #3 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 12:55 am

I had the opposite effect happen in April when my boat was being pulled away by its new owner. I was jumping for joy and mixing a martini. Goodbye and good riddance ya money pit!

post #4 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 7:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofitel505
I had the opposite effect happen in April when my boat was being pulled away by its new owner. I was jumping for joy and mixing a martini. Goodbye and good riddance ya money pit!
The 2 happiest days in a boat owners life: The day he buys it and the day he sells it. And yes I speak from experience.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #5 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 7:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman
I was wanting to upgrade my ride but the last thing I considered was that somebody would want my roadster before I found a replacement. Today her new owner rode her away and I wasn't ready for this feeling of melancholy.
Sorry for your loss. I stopped buy an old friends house yesterday to show him my new LT and he had just sold his R1150. He is 75 and said he had just returned from a ride to Wisconsin and it "Kicked his ass". He knew it was time to hang up the helmet. I could tell it was killing him. Well, at least i got 30 more years of riding left. God willing.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #6 of 8 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 7:54 am

Twinge!

I know the feeling - it's almost jealousy. Whilst I've been seeing my traded-in 03 GT on the dealer's floor for a while (me riding my new LT) it was "still my bike". Last Sunday breakfast ride, there was some total stranger riding my first love! I wanted to tell him to take it easy, but I remembered that it wasn't mine anymore. Yep it's hard, but you'll get over it with the new model!

Regards
Allen
post #7 of 8 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman
That day was surreal but things only got worse. The 21st of August was one of the only sunny days we had in August and the new owner, Zigfred, decided to take the roadster for a longer ride. He had ridden around town several times to get a good feel for it, having ridden airheads for years this was not his first time on a larger bike. About twenty miles south of town near “Bird Point” he was struck by a tire that had come off a fifth wheel trailer being towed by a pick-up (see news story). Without regaining consciousness it took two weeks for him to pass from this life the results of his injuries.

I didn’t go to the hospital when I heard about the accident the Saturday after. I feared that his family would somehow blame me for selling him the bike. And when word of his passing came I wasn’t going to go to his funeral until my wife reminded me that I needed closure nearly as much as his family.

Today at the service we were met by his son and what a pleasant surprise. He was a RT rider and was pleased to meet us when we told him that we had been the previous owners of the roadster. He told us about how much his dad had enjoyed motorcycling and the “new” bike, about how he was going to replace the broken forks and “GS” the bike out like his dad would have liked (wire wheels, knobby tires, high fenders, etc). The service was preceded by a slideshow and it seemed there was a motorcycle in about half the shots, mopeds when kids were small, some dirt bikes, “toaster” airheads when the kids were in their teens, and later grandkids around the bikes. This was a family that has had motorcycles in a large portion of their lives along with a handmade backwoods cabin, trap lines, snowmobiles and all sorts of other outdoor activities.

It feels good to put apprehension behind you, knowing that not only you are not held responsible for their loss but that the family will go forth joyfully having had their time with that adventurous soul.

And it also plays well to my soul. The thought of passing as a result of a massive M/C accident are somehow calmed by seeing how this family handled their loss. Maybe another motorcycle is in my future, but later. Thanks to Dick (again) for listening to me as I went through this, a complete stranger joined only by a love for adventurous living on two wheels. And thanks to you for reading this (hopefully) final catharsis.

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story...-8067262c.html

Sandy
Temporary tourist in the lower 48 states

Last edited by Mr_Sandman; Sep 16th, 2006 at 7:57 pm.
post #8 of 8 Old Sep 16th, 2006, 7:57 pm

Sandy - thanks for sharing. Truly glad you had the opportunity to gain closure in this. You did the right thing, and especially in providing Zigfred's family with another facet of their closure needs in their time of grief. Really wondrous how that word 'Karma' covers such events so well.

Best to you, and your family, Sandy. Don't be a stranger - do check in here now and then, and let us know when you add a two-wheeler alongside the new convertible!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in