Why would anyone buy a bike that . . . - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 5:52 am Thread Starter

Question Why would anyone buy a bike that . . .

This is Part III of my "Why Would Anyone Buy..." series. Judging from all the views and response of my threads, "Why would anyone buy a GT over an FJR1300?!" and "Why would anyone buy an LT over a GOLDWING?!", we here at bmwlt.com love to talk about why we buy or don't buy certain bikes.

Yesterday I had a really long day, so last night I took a lovely little cruise to clear the mind. As a rode through a neighboring community, they had a little classic car show...accompanied by the usual gathering of "bikers". As I rode passed all of the bikes parked in a pretty row, I couldn't help but ask myself a new question. Why would anyone buy a bike that looks just like all the others?! I mean, I'm sure these guys actually think that their bike is unique, but Come On! At some point, don't they get tired of being just like every other rider/wannabe?!

Now I realize I'm posting this right before a few hundred LTs are going to gather. But I think that's just a tad different. Besides . . . rumor has it that there will be just enough "other" bikes there to make things a bit more interesting.

So given the choice between the GT, the FJR1300, the LT, or the Gold Wing...I'd take ANY ONE OF THEM over just another loud, slow, expensive piece of Butt Jewelry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 5:58 am

When I'm watchin' my TV
And that man comes on to tell me
How white my shirts can be
But he can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke
The same cigarrettes as me......

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 7:03 am Thread Starter

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
All together now: "We Are Unique! "
Reminds me of the old Steve Martin bit. Steve yells out:
"And Now, we must all declare our individuality and say the nonconformists oath! Repeat after me . . . I Promise To Be Different! I Promise To Be Unique! I Promise Not To Repeat Things That Other People Say!!!"

(Funny...but I don't "feel" small.)

post #4 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 7:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
...Why would anyone buy a bike that looks just like all the others?! I mean, I'm sure these guys actually think that their bike is unique, but Come On! At some point, don't they get tired of being just like every other rider/wannabe?!...
Safety in numbers. When they buy their Harley they instantly gain a whole herd of thundering "brothers". JMO, I've never owned one.

The visual I have here is the National Geographic channel's aerial shot of a herd of African wildebeests. There might be, say, 50k animals in the herd. They all look the same; sure, up close you can discern some individual differences but they are all 99.7% identical.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #5 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 7:35 am

The end of June I went to a Concours Owners Group rally. While small by BMW standards, we had 260 Connies show up. Each was slightly different, maybe a different paint scheme, different farkles, but all looked basically the same, to the extent that a few times I walked up to the wrong red bike. But, I could tell a Connie from a BMW from a Gold Wing. These cruiser types are all starting to blend together so much it's hard to tell a Harley from a Yamaha from a Kawasaki, etc. So, yeah, Joe, I've wondered the same thing. And I think that's one of the things that drew me to the LT. Everybody had a Wing; not everyone had an LT and the styling on the LT is so much nicer than the Wing.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #6 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 7:39 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Safety in numbers. When they buy their Harley....[snip]
Now now Howard! I never mentioned what brand of "cruiser". That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
post #7 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 7:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Now now Howard! I never mentioned what brand of "cruiser". That's my story and I'm stickin' to it...
Gotcha.

The brand wasn't specified, identified, or even implied. But I think we all know where you were going with that!

In my example, there might have been a couple of gazelles and antelopes mixed in with that herd of wildebeests but you sure couldn't tell from a distance. All the same animal. (and ewwww, the smell.... )

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #8 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 8:01 am

Ya know - it would've been a wrong decision, butt I almost 'slightly' lusted after an Excelsior/Henderson when I first wuz looking for a scoot. Came *this* close, and I think part of it wuz that I didn't see myself coming and going, as with some other brands. (Course you don't see any E-H around now either !). Anyway, I'm over that - just plain dumb-and-dumber-happy that ole Toad lives in my garage; we're still outnumbered by the crowd, and as Joe would say - I'm fine with that!!
post #9 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 8:29 am

Sure there are some that buy with the pack mentality. But Iíll bet most buy because they like the ride, sound and the way they feel when done ridding the bike.

Doug
'05 K1200LT,
My dog is very selective where he will pee, yet he will poop anywhere. In that regard; we couldnít be more different.
post #10 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 8:31 am

As a current LT and HD owner, I gotta tell ya, the image / lifestyle / group-thing was what drew me and then eventually turned me away from HD. It seemed as if everyone thought their HD was the coolest/had the most HP/most farkles/etc. and it became a pissing contest. I met a gal that loved the Jack Daniels/HD image, so I bought one. I made it have a lot of HP, I added a bunch of chrome/pipes/baubles....I took a bath on it when sold. The HD is a marketing machine and it leads you to believe that you can be a rugged individual (which I have no issue with) and go find/traverse the road less travelled on your new scoot. IMHO, less than 5% of HD owners travel more than 100 miles per scoot session due to the fact that they bought it to be 'seen' on and not as a means of actual transportation. The LT represents an actual bike you can travel on. I dont bar hop on the LT like I did on the HD, I dont need to be 'seen' on the LT. I just want to ride it. I want to ride 500 miles a day on it (yeah, its not a lot by some standards, but its enough for me). Id never consider that on my HD. My harley is for travelling with the old lady who still has an attachment to the HD. To me, its taking up valuable garage space and is officially for sale.
So, why would anyone want a 'cruiser', I suspect its a need to be seen and to tell the world youve 'made it' or you occupy a certain station in life that others have yet to attain. To me, its a shitty piece of antiquated machinery. I understand it, I choose not to participate...

F
post #11 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 8:38 am

Back in our unenlightened cruiser days, I was always a bit mystified by how so many of those folks would buy "custom" chrome from the dealer to "customize" their bikes, so that they all looked more alike than ever. That's one thing I like about BMWs, we own them to ride them. What a concept!
post #12 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 8:39 am Thread Starter

Wow! It only took the guy 165 posts to say something brilliant! REALLY brilliant! Man I want to be just like you IF I grow up!
post #13 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 8:43 am

Quote:
Wow! It only took the guy 165 posts to say something brilliant! REALLY brilliant! Man I want to be just like you IF I grow up!
Cmon now, Joe...I thought my banana hammock quote back around 133 was a shining star.....Im 40 goin on 14.

F
post #14 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallsCasten
Sure there are some that buy with the pack mentality. But Iíll bet most buy because they like the ride, sound and the way they feel when done ridding the bike.
It reminds me of the bumper sticker you see on big 4x4's around here;
" I Like My Bad A$$ Attitude"

Sandy
Temporary tourist in the lower 48 states
post #15 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 10:41 am

Hows the adage go....

BMW riders - all the bikes look the same, but the riders are different
Cruiser riders - all the bikes are different, but the riders are the same
or, something like that...

Seeing as to how I ride what I got, I've not really felt threatened, pressured or am even concerned about what someone else rides. Well, unless they're headed right at me....

Oh, OK - I do get some gut churn'n when I'm 'lumped' in by an ignorant observation (all bike riders are dangerous - or some equaly silly misperception). But that then becomes an opportunity to challenge by example. Not argue or brow beat.

Now, what example do I offer? Uh, well - maybe it could use some help too. You wanna see goofy? check me someday with my red Joe Rocket on a maroon bike (clash!), wearing tan slacks, USAF flight boots and a black helmet. The funky antenna on one side don't help either. But, I don't have to look at me, so there.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #16 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:01 am

Quote:
I have to wholeheartedly agree with Joe on this one (scary I know)
Florian said it the best I've ever heard it said, I myself was part of the HD attitude for many years and eventually it was that same attitude that turned me off, their individuality is defined only by the different colors of their do-rags.
And by the way Joe, I sincerely doubt that you'll "ever" grow up but if you wait a few more years, chances are you'll probably grow out, at the waistline anyway, don't ask me how I know.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #17 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:08 am Thread Starter

My brother Tony (yes, I have 4 brothers, and they're all nicer than me!) sold his HD to buy an LT about 8 months after I bought my LT. Half the reason was the technology that goes into a BMW. The other half was the stigma that goes with riding a Harley. He said he wants no part of it no more.

FWIW, now he's looking at my GT with starry eyes.
post #18 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:31 am

Quote:

FWIW, now he's looking at my GT with starry eyes.
Tell him he needs to lay off the weed.....starry eyes will get you in trouble with the law.

F
post #19 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:35 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
It seemed as if everyone thought their HD was the coolest/had the most HP/most farkles/etc. and it became a pissing contest.
Good thing we don't have that kind of thing going on around here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #20 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:59 am
Lifetime Supporter

Touche'

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Once again Ken parts the seas of obfuscation for us and reminds us what's really going on. Good reply!

"We have met the enemy, and he is us!"

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #21 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 12:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Hhmmn... That statement reminds me of another I recently read...

Now, where was that?

Oh! Here it is!

(Show me two Iron Buttateers gathered...and I'll show you a First-Class peeing contest! )
post #22 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:01 pm

I boughjt my LT so i could be just like Joe. And now he has changed. Whatever shall I do?

Jim
post #23 of 25 Old Aug 10th, 2006, 11:20 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Hey, I was talking to David.

Besides, it's not at all the same, Joe. It wasn't a pissing contest at all, just an observation that different people have different definitions for the same word. I never said one was better than the other, just different.

And Buttateers? That's a new one. (You know you want to join the dark side. 1K miles is only 14 hours. It's calling to you . . .)

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #24 of 25 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 5:15 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwadowd
I boughjt my LT so i could be just like Joe. And now he has changed. Whatever shall I do?

Jim
For the answer to this delema, send a cashier's check or money order to . . . . . .

(PM me for the address.)
post #25 of 25 Old Aug 11th, 2006, 7:10 am

Didn't get it thirty years ago still don't get today!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in