Now what do i do - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 3 Post By meese

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2015, 6:26 pm Thread Starter

Talking Now what do i do

Hey All;

So; considering using my LT, my baby,as the spare bike.
Sell the 2009 GSA. Interests?
So I spent over 2 hours at the new WPB dealer and came out with more questions.
Spent much of the time going between the new RT and the GTL. Well, More confused than ever. Both great, both gorgeous, both get high praise.
Now what?
There is a place in WPB that will rent me either for a day. I guess that's the only way to be sure. $$5K difference, so have to be sure.
Start the battle. RT or GTL? You guys know me, 35,000+ a year, everyday plus a Cross country ride here and there, 2 up, 20% of the time. Ride like I stole it.

Zeke

45 years riding and still more places to see.
2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2015, 6:46 pm
Enjoy The Ride

Re: Now what do i do

If I was to steal a bike I would be riding it real easy so as not to draw any attention.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2015, 7:58 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Flip a coin!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #4 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2015, 9:57 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

Take both bikes our for long test rides. See which ones fits you best and leaves you smiling. Write Very Large check to the dealer.

The GTL is closer to your LT in terms of amenities, wind protection, and seating position. It's also 100 lbs lighter with way more power from that smooth Slant/6 motor.

The new '14 RT has most of the same amenities as the GTL, with a slightly more upright riding position, a shorter wheelbase, and another 100 lbs or so lighter.

Both of them make fine cross-country bikes, so it really depends on your preference for seating position, weight, and power.

Personally, I never could get used to that Boxer Buzz, although I hear the new WC motors are better. Still, I just love rolling on the GTL throttle and feeling that smooth Slant/6 motor instantly pulling hard . . .
Zeke, Corrado68 and JohnSnyder like this.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2015, 10:09 pm
Cat Herder

Garage

The RT offers better wind protection. The GT/GTL mirrors are not built into the body. Much less protection on the hands.

The RT also comes with a hot blond to do X-Rated stuff to you while you are writing that big check... The GTL comes with two for an even bigger check...

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #6 of 14 Old Feb 17th, 2015, 11:34 pm
IBR# 366

Garage

The full AeroFlow package gives the GTL similar air protection to an LT with a good screen.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 14 Old Feb 18th, 2015, 5:36 am

Having ridden the LT for about 8 years and 50,000 miles, the decision to move in the direction of the GTL seemed pretty easy, but it did take about 1,000 miles on the GTL to be comfortable with the decision. I initially had my doubts, but every on day the GTL just reinforces the positive decision.

Seems like all bikes need to be customized, but the GTL was just about everything I wanted the LT to be..

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 14 Old Feb 19th, 2015, 5:29 am

Have had all three, LT, GTL, and RT, although not the water cooled RT. Of 2the three, the RT is the most fun to ride. The LT is the most comfortable, and the GTL sort of fits in between. Certainly it has the most power, and with the Aeroflow package, the wind protection is very good. I actually think the wind protection on the RT is still better than the GTL, and nearly as good as the LT. My wife could never got comfortable on the RT. Additionally I don't think it is nearly as comfortable to ride on one rides on the interstate. It seems to me like it gets blown around quiet a bit more than either the LT or the GTL. That probably has something to do with the fact it weighs 250 lbs less than the LT, and 150 less than the GTL. Frankly, I like the LT best, but I am getting older, and that extra 100 lbs on the LT seemed heavier every day. Hard choice. You really can't go wrong with either. Better take the wife or significant other with you on a ride first though. Like I said, my wife never was comfortable on the RT.
post #9 of 14 Old Feb 19th, 2015, 6:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrlakin View Post
Have had all three, LT, GTL, and RT, although not the water cooled RT. Of 2the three, the RT is the most fun to ride. The LT is the most comfortable, and the GTL sort of fits in between. Certainly it has the most power, and with the Aeroflow package, the wind protection is very good. I actually think the wind protection on the RT is still better than the GTL, and nearly as good as the LT. My wife could never got comfortable on the RT. Additionally I don't think it is nearly as comfortable to ride on one rides on the interstate. It seems to me like it gets blown around quiet a bit more than either the LT or the GTL. That probably has something to do with the fact it weighs 250 lbs less than the LT, and 150 less than the GTL. Frankly, I like the LT best, but I am getting older, and that extra 100 lbs on the LT seemed heavier every day. Hard choice. You really can't go wrong with either. Better take the wife or significant other with you on a ride first though. Like I said, my wife never was comfortable on the RT.

Now that's what a call a great response. Exactly what i was Looking for. i will be taking my wife on our day ride. She aint happy no one is. i dont think my LT can be beat, but with the extreme high miles maybe time for semi retirement.

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #10 of 14 Old Feb 20th, 2015, 7:17 am Thread Starter

I will have to rent both, do a 6-7 hour ride with the wife and choose.
no other way.
Thanks for all the great input.

2002 K1200LT
2016 R1200RT
IBA # 41935
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 24th, 2015, 8:56 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
+1 on that

I loved the RT on a two-day solo-ride on the Alps, driving like I stole it. But my wife always preferred the LT ad the GTL by far, so I guess that the RT remains a two-day affair

'12 R 1200 RT
'06 K 1200 LT (sold)
'05 Cagiva Navigator 1000 (sold)
'90 Kawasaki ZX10 (sold)
'82 Moto Guzzi V35 II (sold)
'82 Benelli Export 3V
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 25th, 2015, 5:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
no other way.
Thanks for all the great input.
Zeke keep in mind the RTW you rent must have a top box on for similar comparison. Otherwise your wife will not be happy. I can tell you she will have the best element protection on the RTW. Be sure to play with the riding mode. Your rental if the RTW does NOT have Dynamic mode you will not feel maximum acceleration.
Good luck, I chose the RTW. Best for me solo and us 2 up. Oh don't forget shift assist pro and Hill assist are cool and great options to have !

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #13 of 14 Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 9:04 am

For just plain comfort the LT is going to be hard to beat. I loved the rolling comfort of the bike and so did any passenger that I had. Slow speed was a real bitch though. My GTL was incredibly smooth but I just could not get that "feeling" with it. Ann liked the back seat and said it was comfortable. Had it on the track at Barber Motorsports. It was great two up.
Went back to an RT. Ann likes it as well and says the wind protection is better. I like the wet head smoothness and power delivery. The weight is more manageable for me as well. I have a ZTechnic windshield ordered and expect even better wind protection.

Bottom line like Meese says is for you to ride each two up and see what the two of you like best. You really cant go wrong either way.
post #14 of 14 Old Mar 7th, 2015, 3:41 pm

After owning 3 LTs I bought a 2011 RT as I wanted to shed the weight and also my commute involves a lot of lane sharing on dense freeway traffic in the Los Angeles area.
As with any other bike be prepared to spend extra money to make the bike work for you and your better half.
I added a passenger peg lowering kit, got a great deal on a Russell Daylong saddle, installed a Cee-Bailey shield and bar risers.
Let's not forget the top case that doesn't come with the bike...
Overall I am pretty happy with the RT and Kathy is finally comfortable, even on multi-day rides.
I cannot compare with the K1600 since I never owned one, but I think I would have been equally happy if I had been able to find a used one in my price range last April, pending the same caveat: spend some additional money to make the bike work for the both of us.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in