VStroms Steal Thunder @ BMW State Rally :^) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:27 pm Thread Starter

Smile VStroms Steal Thunder @ BMW State Rally :^)

Got your attention? LOL!! - Yes it is true and WE have a pair of trophys for field skills to prove it!

We headed across the state 500+ miles in 95 degree weather to the Washington State BMW rally in Menlo and found a smattering of V-Stroms in both 1000 & 650 version comfortably encamped within the BMW rally park in Menlo Washington in cool 70 degree weather..Rally was FANTASTIC and the best I have ever attended for various reasons. They had all the bases covered with great food and endless coffee. The Oyster bar and beer and night time fire ring etc...

*So many new and old bikes to look at, It was mezmerizing with all the Airheads, Oilheads and new Hexheads amidst the vintage bikes...
Looking at the LT's and how they were set up and met many new LT buddies. Larry had a hand made, one of a kind matching LT aluminum cargo trailer hand crafted for him that would bring tears to any trailer ~aficionado
The fellowship was superb with seeing many old friends and making lotsa new friends. We ended the 1000+ mile camping trip in too much rain, too much traffic and too much wind coming home but happy to see the eastside sunshine!

As I stood filling the LT, watching it moving around on the sidestand at the gas pumps giving me great concern of what lay ahead!!
** Yes, Dave Shealy, I rode faster into the wind to see if that worked better as we wound down Snoqualmi pass into Ellensburg and the constant vicious wind battering at us... It did!! Lean and Go faster!!

Right off the bat was Mr. Ned " DRONE" and Ken, aka RapidRider on his 650 and of course my S/O on Der VroomHilda1 DL1000, while I rode my 05 BMW K1200 LT.

NO problemo, we mixed right in. Drone was a headliner in the OffRoad class of fun more than holding his own and rescueing many of the lost GS's in the blur of his fast and customized MelloYello 1000.

Meanwhile I was participating in the Field Games with my V-Strom and stealing their thunder with capturing 2nd place overall since Bec won 1 event handily against 5 men we were considered a "Split" talent Team so only awarded 2 place overall, but took 2 of the 5 events in 1st place, Me in Slalom and slow ride & the Becster in running to your bike,getting dressed , get on and start and ride your bike to the finish line while the audience threw water ballons at the participants all thru the competition!

Lots of Great fun, Met new LT friends - Pictures to follow soon!

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour
2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973
Religion began when the first scoundrel met the first fool. Voltaire.

Last edited by usmctpdog; Jul 31st, 2006 at 12:36 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:46 pm

Thanks for the great write up - Now I am sorry I wasn't at the bike games to throw the water baloons. It was a fun rally! We have been to a lot of rallies of all kinds and the reception by the town folks at this rally is unique! Last year they were begging to do more and this year they did!
Are you heading back over with your Strom for the GS rally in a couple of weeks - held at the same place?

Steve
Olympia, WA
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 3:23 pm Thread Starter

Steve,

As much as I would like to I have other committments thru September....

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #4 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 5:39 am

I'm really impressed with the V Strom and I'd like to test ride one......just read that the 07 650 will be available with ABS as an option. At the price they go for it will really start hurting BMW Gs's
post #5 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Smile

I Love my 03 DL1000 and my S/O keeps it exercised regularly since I am still on my Honeymoon with my 05 LT!!!

Here are some pics of me in " Winning form" at the Field Events @ the Menlo Rally and LT Owner Larry Norris and his "Hand Made" 1 off custom trailer @ the Rally and sitting around the Campfire with Brian Ley
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TT#1.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	5512   Click image for larger version

Name:	NiceTrailer.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	5513   Click image for larger version

Name:	MJ@Work,jpg.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	5514   Click image for larger version

Name:	SloRace.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	5515   Click image for larger version

Name:	MJ&Brian@Campfire.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	5516  

*Ridin steady since 1973

post #6 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 11:29 am

Vstom

Been considering an addition to the stable and the Vstrom are getting pretty good reviews. I hate half stepping so I lean towards bigger 1000 but the 650 gets such good ratings also. I would like to know from people that own them.
Does the 650 have enough power. I like power!!! Is the 1000 that much less flickable than the 650. Any other opinions on the Vstroms?

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #7 of 9 Old Aug 3rd, 2006, 1:42 pm Thread Starter

Smile

Marc,

I consider the 1000 the much superior version as far a horsepower and sophistication of build. It weighs 38 lbs more @ 461 lbs but you get 40 More HP!!
There is little handling difference as I have ridden both. *You just get more and better stuff with the 1000. I have the Matching GIVI hard Panniers on mine that are not available on the 650 and would look funny anyway with only one small pipe on the right side.
My OEM headlghts burn paint and I can pick out my Vstrom headlights when my S/O is riding behind in a mix of other bikes.

The 1000's dual exhaust and better suspension and hydraulic clutch among other things are well worth the upgrade. You also get the hand guards and lower protection that the 650 does not have. Power is great on both but more HP is MORE HP !!
When you factor in 6 speeds, hydraulic clutch. adjustable forks, upgraded
footpegs, OEM rack, 5.8 gals on Regular unleaded, underseat storage, floating disk brakes and 95 HP in an anvil strong proven engine it is not hard to explain why it is so popular with folks. I 've had mine 3 years &
not one single warranty gripe. It loves to run hard and redline is up @ 9500 rpm. Is the GS1200 worth $10,000+ more?
**Thats a personal judgement call, but NOT worth it in my opinion
for less maintenance and better reliability I favor the Big Strom. I wish it had ABS and Heated grips but that is coming in 07.
Between my LT & VStrom I have the 2 best bikes I have owned in 33 years and 500,000+ miles of riding since 1973!!

*Ridin steady since 1973

Last edited by usmctpdog; Aug 3rd, 2006 at 5:21 pm.
post #8 of 9 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 7:00 am

Wow

Thanks for the excellent detailed answer. I was not aware of half of the specs you mentioned. Sounds like a sweeeet ride!! I have not sat on a 1000 yet and I am sure it is tall so I may have to lower it somehow, hope not(29 inseam). I have ridden tall bikes many times before and am able to manage. Hmmmm ,I think me wants a V-strom 1000. Again thanks

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #9 of 9 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 10:26 am Thread Starter

Marc,

My inseam is 31 and now my S/O rides my Strom and her inseam is 26, she tippy toes but handles it fine!
Admittedly it was tall when I purchased it but I have found ways to lower it
safely that does not affect handling (e.g., last weekend - we won the Field events @ the Wa State BMW Rally- and rode 1000+ miles there and back)

If you get one I will guide you how to lower it from an OEM seat height of 35 inches to now 31.5!!

Just Google V-Strom and see all the glowing reviews from magazines and owners. When the GS1200 came to be it took the limelight and that is an amazing bike too. Just depends on how much you want to spend and your preferences.

*Ridin steady since 1973

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in