Almost bought the big one this morning - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:51 am Thread Starter

Almost bought the big one this morning

I had a really close call this morning. I was commuting in the HOV lane on highway 85 in San Jose, moving with traffic about 70-75 mph. 4 lanes over the on ramp to highway 17 was backed up and stopped at the top of the 85 entrance. Some idiot plowed into the back of the last car at (my guess) around 50 mph, sending the victim car into the air and hundreds of pieces. the car that caused the accident then spun out from behind the victim car and proceeded to spin across 4 lanes of traffic, HEADING INTO MY LANE. I was watching this happen thinking, "Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit"! Then a different phrase started running - "Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go". I'm not sure if I accelerated but I think I did, and I aimed the bike for the last little edge of pavement on the paved shoulder before it turns into sand, gravel, and Armco barrier. As I went past the spinning car it was fully in my lane, was still spinning, and I missed it by about 2-3 feet as it came onto the shoulder. I stopped about 300 yards later and got off the bike, and it took about 5 minutes to stop shaking and get my breathing under control. This one was way too close.

It's only been about 90 minutes since it happened and I still feel a little freaked out, but if I could give any advice from this incident, here's what it would be -
  • Take the MSF courses, or some kind of street safety training, study it, learn it, practice it, and live it when your riding or driving.
  • Stay aware of what's happening on the road around you. I saw the accident happen, but didn't expect the car to come cartwheeling out of it like that. Expect the unexpected.
  • If you have a close call and are shaken, STOP, let yourself calm down, then get back on the road. My initial reaction was to keep going, but there was NO WAY I would have been able to operate the bike safely for those 5 or so minutes after this occurred.
And most of all, Just be careful out there.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:03 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Thumbs up

Wow buddy!!! Sure glad you came out of that one OK!!!
Expect the unexpected sure applied here. Good going Dave!!!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:05 pm

Glad you are alright. After all, thats the most important. It was good thinking to stop and calm down.

When I ride I am a safer than when I drive (sad; I know). I allow a lot of room between me and others, stay more focused and always have an escape route in my head for something just as you described. So far I have only had a ladder fall off in front of me, but a 6 foot ladder bouncing down I-80 at 60mph was enough for me.

post #4 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:12 pm

Good on ya, Dave. Angels sometimes cut it close, don't they?? You gotta bell??
post #5 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:17 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
Then a different phrase started running - "Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go".
Someone on the other side was with you....glad you were listenning!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #6 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:29 pm

Glad you're okay, David. Thanks for sharing the experience and for your heady advice. Reminders like this are much needed, especially when ridin's good and you're thinking you've got everything under control. We just never know, do we???

Hope it never happens to you again and that others of us who may encounter similar a situation will respond with the same alertness and skill that you did. Great riding!!!

Bob Darkey
post #7 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:45 pm

Just take a deep breath

Just take a deep breath and try to put it out of your mind ASAP. Most importantly get on the bike and ride, ride, ride. I say this with some level of experience (as I'm sure do most of us here) with close calls. July 2, 2004 should have been my last day on earth. My wife and I, she on her bike, me on my 96 HD Ultra were tooling along a back road in N. Illinois at about 6pm, doing about 50mph. As we approached this curve to the left I saw a line of cars headed in the opposite direction then suddenly the rearmost car decided to pass the 2-3 other cars infront of him over a double yellow line at the curve. He was moving at least 80, was in my lane and there was no way either of us was going to stop in time. He was clearly going to plow head on into me and my wife. Couldn't go left because of the other cars and there was a ditch and a cornfield on the right. At the last possible moment this nimrod finally saw us and literally flew off the road into the cornfield as he cranked his steering wheel all the way left. I braked through the gravel he shot up as he first went sideways infront of me then got enough traction to shoot into the cornfield. The reason for relating this story is to tell you that I experienced probably what you are going through. A completely out of control heart rate, post-adrenaline dump shakes and I was jumpy for about a week. I briefly... very briefly... considered getting rid of the bike but didn't because I came to some realizations. 1) It wasn't my time (just like today wasn't yours) 2) I would have been just as dead if the guy had hit me if I had been in a car (as it sounds like you might have been) 3) Close encounters like this are part of the risks of riding a motorcycle though you think of them as happening to someone else. So if you enjoy your ride, why should you let someone else's poor driving affect you. I guess what I'm trying to say (and I know right now its easier said than done) is that you need to shake it off quickly before the jitters get ahold of you. BTW, I'm not a particularly religious guy, but sometimes it helps to think that there is a master plan and your part in it clearly was not completed. Anyway, get on your bike and hop on over to Wisconsin, well go for a ride and I'll show you where I almost bought it.

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

post #8 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 12:53 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

David:

Glad you did not get into an accident. I can just imagine the two-way conversation with the dealer.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #9 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 2:42 pm

Red face

David, Thank Heavens you were alert enough to squeeze out of the way in time! Just a reminder to all of us to stay alert because it can happen to any of us at any time.

Have a cool one or two once you get where you can slow down and chill!

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #10 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 2:55 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaFish
David, Thank Heavens you were alert enough to squeeze out of the way in time! Just a reminder to all of us to stay alert because it can happen to any of us at any time.

Have a cool one or two once you get where you can slow down and chill!

John
I could use a cool one, but the beer fridge at work is empty!

And thanks to everyone for your supportive comments. While the topic isn't as fun as some of the ones we get to talk about (someone bring up oil or tires, quick!), it's still good to talk about this kind of stuff from time to time.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #11 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 3:14 pm

Glad your ok!!!!!
To stop those shakes you needed to run back to the car and make sure the driver was ok,,, Then smash him in the face and tell him to have a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...........Regards Pete
post #12 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 3:14 pm

Talking

Well tell em to restock it Dave!!
Quote:
I could use a cool one, but the beer fridge at work is empty!

And thanks to everyone for your supportive comments. While the topic isn't as fun as some of the ones we get to talk about (someone bring up oil or tires, quick!), it's still good to talk about this kind of stuff from time to time.

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #13 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 3:22 pm

WOW!!! That's scary. Glad it worked out for ya.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 3:28 pm

My hat's off to ya for keeping such a cool head in such a hairy situation! Great piece of riding.

Probably another tip from this would be to carry a spare pair of shorts in the bags. I know I woulda needed one!

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #15 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:56 pm

Smile

ya, what everybody said.
Glad you're OK.
Now read my SIG, that's what its about.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #16 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
My hat's off to ya for keeping such a cool head in such a hairy situation! Great piece of riding.
I keep reading the part about "look where you want to go" and I know what to do but would I have done that? I would like to think so but I am not sure.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #17 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:02 pm

Excellent post David, and glad you were not hurt, we had darn near the same thing happen to us, but the vehicle didn;t come in our lane it spun around at the last second and went off the other way, I wa s already heading for the side of the road which would have been bad in itself as about a 30 ft drop off there. this was last week, and to tell ya the truth i was still looking for one to do it yesterday again!

like David says take courses MSF or whatever and practice practice practice

Quote:
I had a really close call this morning. I was commuting in the HOV lane on highway 85 in San Jose, moving with traffic about 70-75 mph. 4 lanes over the on ramp to highway 17 was backed up and stopped at the top of the 85 entrance. Some idiot plowed into the back of the last car at (my guess) around 50 mph, sending the victim car into the air and hundreds of pieces. the car that caused the accident then spun out from behind the victim car and proceeded to spin across 4 lanes of traffic, HEADING INTO MY LANE. I was watching this happen thinking, "Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit"! Then a different phrase started running - "Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go". I'm not sure if I accelerated but I think I did, and I aimed the bike for the last little edge of pavement on the paved shoulder before it turns into sand, gravel, and Armco barrier. As I went past the spinning car it was fully in my lane, was still spinning, and I missed it by about 2-3 feet as it came onto the shoulder. I stopped about 300 yards later and got off the bike, and it took about 5 minutes to stop shaking and get my breathing under control. This one was way too close.

It's only been about 90 minutes since it happened and I still feel a little freaked out, but if I could give any advice from this incident, here's what it would be -
  • Take the MSF courses, or some kind of street safety training, study it, learn it, practice it, and live it when your riding or driving.
  • Stay aware of what's happening on the road around you. I saw the accident happen, but didn't expect the car to come cartwheeling out of it like that. Expect the unexpected.
  • If you have a close call and are shaken, STOP, let yourself calm down, then get back on the road. My initial reaction was to keep going, but there was NO WAY I would have been able to operate the bike safely for those 5 or so minutes after this occurred.
And most of all, Just be careful out there.

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #18 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:18 pm

Nice job getting out of that one. On a possibly related note, was Paul Tracy leaving San Jose from the GP this morning?

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #19 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:37 pm

Practice Practice Practice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones
I keep reading the part about "look where you want to go" and I know what to do but would I have done that? I would like to think so but I am not sure.
Exactly! That's why I repeat it to myself around every turn and lane change on the freeway and in the parking lot. I think it is one of the most important concepts to riding. It is certainly repeated in every course, book and video I've been exposed to. I crossed a wet metal drainage grate on my ride last Sat morning. How often have I read how to do this? It was in the middle of a turn and I went over it at an angle. Luckily it was only a couple of feet wide. My front tire slipped out violently, then grabbed, then the rear went, then grabbed back. I think I strained both muscles in my hips with my legs shooting out instinctively. I knew it was the wrong thing to do, but I'm still not reacting the way I should. Pulled over at the next turnout for a little R&R before continuing. Scary stuff when its not second nature yet and I can't count on my reactions to be correct.
Remember
Practice does not make perfect.
Practice makes permanent.
Perfect practice makes perfect.

Thank you for relating the story David and glad you're OK.

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD
post #20 of 31 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:12 pm

Thumbs up

Good work David!!!

Glad that you are fine.
post #21 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 2:55 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Glad you made it out alright, and thanks for sharing the story. We all gotta remember that the unlikely can happen at any time and try to be as prepared as we can.

But it definitely wasn't your time. The '07 LTs aren't even out yet.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #22 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 10:03 am

Quote:
I had a really close call this morning. I was commuting in the HOV lane on highway 85 in San Jose, moving with traffic about 70-75 mph. 4 lanes over the on ramp to highway 17 was backed up and stopped at the top of the 85 entrance. Some idiot plowed into the back of the last car at (my guess) around 50 mph, sending the victim car into the air and hundreds of pieces. the car that caused the accident then spun out from behind the victim car and proceeded to spin across 4 lanes of traffic, HEADING INTO MY LANE.
Glad all is OK.

I was in San Jose over the weekend for the Champ Car race. Was driving "The Bus" back to a friend/fans home and got stuck in that traffic jam. As I tooled by there I wondered if I had been on the bike what I would have done to avoid that.

If it were me, I'd be doing the laundry and cleaning the seats... you sir handled it very well!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #23 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:30 am Thread Starter

When I drove by the accident scene this morning on the way to work I checked it out a bit, just curious if things were really as close as they seemed to be "in the moment" yesterday ( knowing how these things plus adenaline can skew your perception a bit). Along with the various broken glass and car bits scattered on both sides of the freeway, the skid marks from the car that spun into my lane ended about a foot from the white line on the shoulder where I went past it. So things appear to have happened just about as closely as I perceived them yesterday, which is still pretty sobering and scary to think about. The good news is nobody tried to flatten me today!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #24 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 1:27 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
The good news is nobody tried to flatten me today!
Now I am glad to hear THAT!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #25 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 1:38 pm

wow. I first looked at the title and thought you almost bought a Goldwing.....glad to hear that you escaped unharmed from a very likely accident.

you've got some great reactions and lessons for all of us to absorb.

Thank you.
post #26 of 31 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 3:33 pm

Damn, that's scary. Glad to hear that you're OK. Now, you have a legitimate reason for a new supply of underwear.

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #27 of 31 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 10:40 am

I know the feeling

I know the feeling.Two days ago my wife and I were riding our 1200LT. We aproached (55mph) a pick-up with boat attached stopped in the oncoming lane with signal on to cross in front of me. I was the only vehicle coming toward him. I know he saw me approaching because he was holding up two cars behind him.
Just as I reached the intersection he turned directly across my lane, boat and all. MSF training, hours of practice and ABS brakes all kicked in. With full brake on both front and rear I aimed for the rear of the boat thinking it was better to be thrown over the boat instead of into the truck. Fortunetly the truck kept moving and we missed the corner of the boat and stopped beside the cars in the other lane. After a few minutes we quit shaking and were able to continue on. Of course the truck never stopped. I will never buy anything without ABS.
post #28 of 31 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 11:17 am
BMW Guru

Glad you're still around to post about this David. I'm still recovering from my accident on Oct 7th. Getting hit ain't no fun

2007 G650 X Challenge
2006 GT200
2005 R1200GS

post #29 of 31 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 12:50 pm

Glad your ok

Glad your ok and the MSF training took over !!!!

Also good advice on the taking a few timeout minutes after.
Had something like that happen the last two summers and the adrenaline shake kicked in about 10 to 15 minutes after. (1 on bike and one on a 737-800)
http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?se...cal&id=3212331

Wild thing that adrenaline

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."

Last edited by rkirker; Dec 6th, 2006 at 1:00 pm.
post #30 of 31 Old Dec 6th, 2006, 5:47 pm

Good move

Quote:
"Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go, Look where you want to go". I'm not sure if I accelerated but I think I did, and I aimed the bike for the last little edge of pavement on the paved shoulder before it turns into sand, gravel, and Armco barrier. As I went past the spinning car it was fully in my lane, was still spinning, and I missed it by about 2-3 feet as it came onto the shoulder. I stopped about 300 yards later and got off the bike, and it took about 5 minutes to stop shaking and get my breathing under control. This one was way too close.
Glad you made the gap.
Nice ride, TEXT BOOK,
Chances are if you had hit the brakes???
Rock
post #31 of 31 Old Dec 10th, 2006, 6:59 am
THE Democracy Doctor

Location: We LOVE illegals and Socialists, Sunny, Southern Kommyfornia,
Hell, I had to change my underwear just reading your story!!

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." (Some really OLD friggin' White dude who couldn't have possibly known what he was talking about!) WARNING: Official HATE speech!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in