New Off Road Harley?

Is this the new 2007 off road Harley?

http://my.break.com/Media/View.aspx?...nelName=movies

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 6:42 pm

off road harley

that thread should be in the humor section. thats hilarious. just another bone-headed harley rider showing off in front of his bros. STUPID HURTS.

Last edited by danbrown; Jul 31st, 2006 at 7:27 pm.
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrown
that thread should be in the humor section. thats hilarious. just another bone-headed harley rider showing off in front of his bros. STUPID HURTS.
there are some really bad riders out there, and I was not able to see this picture as the site is down for maintence, so not sure if it is someone goofing off or what.

but i have to say with all the slamming going on everywhere on usenet lately,

Has anyone on this site ever goofed off on abike? or in a car?

ya know rode wheelies, burn outs, drag raced on the street, anytime?

damn I know i have, I don't think there is much I haven't done except trying to do one of the backward flips off a ramp Never thought of it as a kid to tell the truth or we would darn sure have tried it.

highest speed pulled over for?

I'll tell later.......

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

post #4 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 4:58 am

Look folks, I know that we are all perfect and never make mistakes which this guy obvioulsly did but what is funny about someone getting hurt or worse? Only the grace of God seperates me from having been in the same position as this fella was. Who among us has not had some close call? hopefully not because of making this kind of mistake, but maybe because of someone else's error I cant tell you how many times I have come round one of these turns to find someone in my lane, car, truck, another motorcycle or a deer or god knows what, I remind you it is not funny to see someone getting hurt whatever the reason.
post #5 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler921
Is this the new 2007 off road Harley?

http://my.break.com/Media/View.aspx?...nelName=movies

ok I got to see the Vid, it is the same one that was posted not long ago, been beat to death already as well

see ya!

tom

Tom

post #6 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 8:19 am

I've seen this video before on anotherr forum. Believe it or not, the two things that struck me more than the poor riding skills of the first biker (not to mention the shock of seeing him go over the side) were, 1) how dangerously close the second rider came to just following him right off the edge (target fixation would be my guess) and 2) how laughable the 'loud pipes saves lives' argument is. Did anyone else notice how VERY late in the game that bike actually became audible? If there was much more than a half-second to react to it, I'd be surprised.

Thanks, but I'll take my chances with ABS and a forward facing horn loud enough to be comfy on the front of a Mack truck.

I do feel badly for all involved. The RVers did nothing wrong - yet were scared to death by the experience, and the biker paid dearly for an obviously stupid decision that occured in the blink of an eye.
post #7 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 8:34 am Thread Starter

Sorry, didn't know it had been posted before or beat to death. I merely thought it was a reminder of why I bought the LT. At least you can stop without sliding 100 feet, and also handle well enough to make the corner.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #8 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 8:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler921
Sorry, didn't know it had been posted before or beat to death. I merely thought it was a reminder of why I bought the LT. At least you can stop without sliding 100 feet, and also handle well enough to make the corner.
shoot no need to apolgize for sure! those Harley's could have made that turn though, it was the riders that couldn't.

I will say i love my ABS on my LT, it works and works good.

I found out on a off ramp in dallas at about 70 mph one time!

Tom

Tom

post #9 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 8:49 am

I'm sure there are many who have yet to see it - no need to apologize.

It's a great learning video for anyone to see how fast things can 'go south' and how very critical developing good riding habits is to maintaining good health. Even if you just putt-putt around on a cruiser. Those big 800 lbs cruisers like to go straight, but certainly can be coaxed into a safe hard-braking or cornering situation if you've practiced it.

IMHO, it looks to me like he was a 'foot braker'. If he grabbed any front brake at all to scrub off speed, it sure didn't look like it. He could've/should've been hard on the brakes (BOTH brakes) long before he passed by the front of the RV. From the sound of it, I'd say he was just getting out of the throttle even after he cleared the front of the RV. Not to mention that the righthand bender was essentially a blind curve to him because of the RV - so it was a stupid place to pass.

Last edited by NEOMark; Aug 1st, 2006 at 8:59 am.
post #10 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 9:23 am

Okay, I watched it. First time for me. The riders were dumb butss for passing on soild yellow. we all know that and yes I've done something stupid before myself. The road looks like or very similar to Deals gap. I value my bike and life too much to do something like that and not know what is on the other side or if I could make it. Just me, but I would have either pulled to the side or waitied til I knew I could make the pass safely.

The videographers were worried theyd' get beat up. But on some other forum, they probably got blasted for going too slowly and running him off the road and then not stopping to help. That is of course, just an assumption, no basis in fact.

It's just unbelievable the jams people get themselves into that could be avoided.

rando
post #11 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 9:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
The videographers were worried theyd' get beat up. But on some other forum, they probably got blasted for going too slowly and running him off the road and then not stopping to help. That is of course, just an assumption, no basis in fact.
You're scary. In the thread where I first saw this video, some riders were accusing the RV of purposely straddling the double yellow to 'block' the HDs from passing. And yes, some blasted them for leaving the scene - a valid criticism IMHO.
post #12 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:13 pm

I didnt' study it that closely. It's interestening they were calling the rider all sorts of ugly names, yet were afraind of getting beat up. Which would lend credence to them blocking. I don't know. If I had been the videographer, I would have stopped to offer assistance. But that's me and I wasn't there.

I dunno. I still think the riders made a bone head move, with bad outcome.

rando
post #13 of 13 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 5:11 pm
Rider Journeyman

We reviewed this over in the Chit Chat section awhile back.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in