KSSS: Should I or shouldn't I? Any "better" schools? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 7:34 am Thread Starter

Question KSSS: Should I or shouldn't I? Any "better" schools?

I am VERY close to pulling the trigger on signing up for Kevin's School which is scheduled for the Monday and Tuesday during the week of CCR. But $1600 is no small amount to pay for this middle-class Joe. I'm hoping a few in here have done the school and can comment.

My obvious first question is: Is it worth it?

Other questions:
  • Would you do it again?
  • Are there other classes that are better for the same or less money?
  • What didn't you like about the class?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 8:28 am

Your money

After reading many of your posts about techniques on cornnering, counter steering vs lean, angles, apex, brake on throtle open power turns.
I would say the class will mostly reinforce what you already know. Techniques can be taught in a day, but it can take years to hone them to a razor edge. Take that $1600, put it aside for pratice fuel. Time you burn through it you'll be more in tune with that GT than a day at the track will ever give you. (Thats just for Joe, any of you New Rider's would be well versed to learn some skills. Like the guy on how not to pass at the dragon)
Rock
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 8:32 am

Have you ever been ?

Joe
have you ever been to a track class ?
do you want to ride you bike or theirs ?
do you want a race school or one that teaches you skills for the track and the street ?

I went to class rides, road the LT, and had a great learing experance.
cost $300.00 and road about 150 miles on the track.
ambulance and corner people with flags were included

Ridesalot

2005 LT "The grey one with the bugs on it."

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 9:10 am

It's worth it.

It's worth it for us, if your not around, yapping. Do they have a 3 or 4 day school we could take up a collection to get you in. And you thought I wasn't going to be there. Wine Festival the weekend before, so we are sneaking in the backdoor.

Take the course, it's only money you wished you would have spent when you are older.

Me and 9 of my previous co-workers took a Freddie Spencer school in Las Vegas a few years ago. Had a blast and learned a lot. (The proper time to go to bed before a day in the sun for one) At that time 6 of us were actively racing the old farts class (35+) on the SV650. All training is good and most is fun.

If you decide not to go, give me the money and I will.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Yes, I have done some track time. But not with an instructor like Kevin. I guess I need to go back onto the beach and meditate for awhile. I sure am leaning toward going . . . but Rock, you make some excellent points. I could just take the 1600 bones and play in the mountains for an extra week. Then again...thrashing on a Suzuki 600 for two solid days sounds like a riot. And I would love to push MY limits on a bike that doesn't belong to me.
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:00 am
Lifetime Supporter

Boy, I don't know. I pretty much agree with Rock, in your situation. I'm not sure how "all out" the KS sessions will allow. If passing is limited you may be disappointed. I personally believe what you would experience in 2 days on a track on, what are they SV's, will not really help on a LT/GT on the street. A couple years on the track overcoming various situations, that would be a different story. Also, don't expect much personal input from Schwantz. The other guys are all great and I think they'll mostly talk, ride, video critique, concerning bike placement during cornering, braking techniques, body, head, and eye position.

Joe, I think you posted something a while back from Virginia Motorspeedway Riders school. Everything in there is about all one needs to know.

Again, I really believe 2 days on a much smaller bike on a track may be fun but isn't really conducive to improving your riding on a much larger different machine on the street.

My 2 cents and I have tried to remove as much bias as possible.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite

Last edited by bowlesj; Jul 28th, 2006 at 10:08 am.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in