Cooling Vest - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:01 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

Cooling Vest

Joe Rocket has discontinued the Sahara Vest because of an undisclosed court settlement, which isn't all that bad because the colors they picked were hideous. I liked the idea, and saw vests on EBay by "Tech Niche" which come in four different colors, and were about $34, so I figured why not?

Got the first one, soaked it per instructions, and the entire outer surface was "slimy," couldn't pat it dry, and if you ran your hands over it, you'd have to wash them afterwards. I contacted the seller, he called the manufacturer who told him that they had gotten a batch from overseas that "had been stitched inside out." In other words, they were made backwards. He sent me a free replacement that did the same thing, I declined his generous offer to wait "weeks until their backlog is caught up and we can get a new shipment in."

Fieldsheer has a model that isn't really advertised called the IceBerg vest that comes in black (again, why the hell would anyone want BLACK?) or silver--which came out more like a grey/khaki. I got mine today, soaked it per instructions, rode home after work with the temp gauge on my bike reading between 99 and 102, and at the end of my 45 min. run the vest was actually COOL to the touch (you can also wear it under a mesh jacket, I had on a long sleeve dress shirt in heavy twill, so the mesh jacket stayed at home--call me names if you wanna').

I got mine through helmet harbor for $39.99, if they aren't listed on the website, give them a call (ask for Jeff) and they ship very fast...I got mine in three days. (I have seen them on EBay twice, for $44.99 and 8 bucks shipping...)

my two cents...feel free to give change.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:07 pm

Cooling Vest

I live in the Phoenix, Scottsdale Arizona area and evaporative cooling vest just don't work. Well maybe for about thirty minutes or so and you end up soaking wet. Phase Change Cooling Vest are the way to go especially if you live in a humid climate. www.coolsport.net Check out the motorsport vest.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:43 pm

Phase Change Vest

Also check out.

http://www.glaciertek.com/

Mark Pickett
Phoenix, AZ

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 2:22 pm

I found this to be a good source of info on cooling vest with links to merchants.
http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/CoolAndHeat.html

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #5 of 8 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 4:00 pm Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporter

oh you guys SUCK, now I have to go spend another $200 on a better vest, just when I thought I had the neatest toy on the block...

(laughing)

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Evaporative cooling vests are not going to work well in humid climates. I have the Tech Niche vest. I distinctly recall the directions requiring you to prewash it in a small amount of Woolite prior to actually energizing it and using it. After the first time it completely dried out any residual silicone slime was completely gone. It has worked fine since then. It shouldn't matter what color the vest is as is should always be worn under an armored mesh jacket. You should always wear your gear especially after the outside temps exceed your body temperature. Basic hyperthermia training. My vest works well and as advertised but I ride mostly in arid climates of 40% humidity or less. I have tried the $200 vest with the huge cooling packs. Man, did it keep you cool but it did not last long and was a total pain in the fatoot to recharge. You need a refrigerator! You didn't mention Silver Eagle.($100) They make great, functional products that are also quality outer garments that look nice with your jacket off. The Tech Niche works for me but it's functional over aestetics. And $30 versus $100. I might also mention it folds up very thin when its dry.

Bob Morrow #4204
2014 K1600GTLE "Firefly" GTL 4 Two
2002 K1200LTE "Green Hornet" LT 4 Two (history)
"Kyrie Eleison down the road that I must travel"
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 9:31 pm
Gold Supporter

Under Armor long sleeve T-Shirt $34.99, white long sleeve cotton Columbia fishing shirt $30.00 and a Camelback attached to my SAC bag $29.00. I can ride anywhere in high or low humidity and stay comfortable for hours.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #8 of 8 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 10:45 am

yep

my wife and I had the marsee cooling vest and boy 30 minutes was max in the midwest. I like the armour material that you can buy from places like g i joes. With the cooling vests we had we were probably better just getting a wet bandana around our neck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in