A little help... so... what would you use? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:30 pm Thread Starter

A little help... so... what would you use?

to fix a serious case of diaper rash? Kind of a gross topic, I know. I just finished a BBG from Chicago to Key West and am beginning my journey to Alaska. It was pretty hot down here and I did the 1600 miles from Chicago to Key West in about 22 hours - and then slept for half a day and then turned around and began to motor back to Chicago.

The rear of my thighs pretty much look like hamburger. Ouch. It was pretty uncomfortable today and I was only able to do 500 miles. I knew my legs were a bit sore, but was shocked when I finally found a room and get out of my stuff. It's bad. And it hurts. Getting out of the suit (nice HT Air getup, riding with lycra bicycle shorts) and taking a shower made it feel much better, but it still looks (and feels) bad. I've done longer rides before - but suspect it was the heat and me sweating a lot - i've got clean, dry clothes (and bikes shorts) to wear tomorrow, but I want to run out to the drug store in the AM and get some stuff for it. Gold Bond? Baby powder? Something else?

Trust me when I say that I'm sparing you from the photo. I've had chaffed legs/thighs before, but this is the worst. It really does look like the back of my thighs slid down the road.

Anyway, enough on me and my ass. Any suggestions appreciated.

danbrew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:41 pm

Some folks swear by this stuff, Dan. Might find it locally at a bicycle shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbrew
Anyway, enough on me and my ass. Any suggestions appreciated.danbrew
post #3 of 27 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:47 pm

Most rashes are from poor rinsing of detergents. With hard water, the detergents stay in the clothing and get reactivated by sweat. People call this prickly heat or heat rash. Get a water softener and those problems will go away.Soft water is more aggressive and pulls the soap or detergents out of the clothing during rinse. This advise comes from 12 years in the commercial and residential water treatment industry. Hope it helps.

Tony 05

post #4 of 27 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:29 pm
Super Moderator

Cool Don't be a baby . . .

A&D - the magic alxir to all my rashes

Fast and effective - almost instant relief for me!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A&D.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	5317  

Dan Finazzo
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #5 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:01 am

I was on the road 5 weeks last year, got a case myself, At each stop clean with a anti bac. baby wipe and re goo with either the A+D or Gold Bond.

Might want to try a micro fiber short instead, Better wicking of moisture.

Under armour, North Face, Etc.
post #6 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 5:28 am

Kontour seat, that baby flows air.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #7 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 5:52 am

I have used just plain Cornstarch.
post #8 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 6:27 am

Desitin

Use what the babies do on rashes. Sticks well and works well. (spelling of Desitin might be wrong, been a few years).

Good luck on the trip and hope it heals fast.

2000 Canyon Red "Crimson Cruiser"
40,000 miles grinning, and counting....
BMWMOA # 131660
post #9 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 7:14 am

Like they said - Gold Bond before the ride and a Kontour seat.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

post #10 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 7:22 am

Powder and that wicking type underwear they sell at REI
post #11 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 7:30 am

Corn Starch, Bike shorts and Beaded seat.
Forget the seams in the shorts watch your own, yeah that one!
Genus that I am, I galled mine once by taking off shorts so they could dry/air, and walking around event with jeans and no drawers in 95+ heat. For the next week you could find me by following the trail of corn starch.
Rock
post #12 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 7:38 am
Lifetime Supporter

http://www.buttpaste.com/

Made by a Cajun, a smart one.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #13 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:27 am

To the extent that any of the harm is caused by friction, I like bodyglide as a preventative measure. I use it on every run over 10 miles, and it totally cuts out chafing - without being uncomfortably oily.
post #14 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:14 am

Dr. Ron sez:

From what you've described your skin is in really bad shape. Sweat contains (of course) copious amounts of salt, and between the extreme heat, trapped perspiration and your skin tearing (maceration) from friction you are literally rubbing salt in a wound. You need to break the cycle or it won't get any better. The reason it is so painful is due to the associated swelling.

While some of the creams mentioned here will certainly help at night, they won't help at all during the day while you're riding. The base compound in all of that stuff is plain old petroleum jelly (Vaseline). You do NOT want to plug your pores and sweat glands with that, or things will just get worse. Your skin needs to breathe and stay cool - while riding these potions will do exactly the opposite.

Baby powder, Gold Bond, Anti-Monkey Butt Powder, etc. is about the only common option - but all that stuff is just plain old refined and bleached corn starch with fancy marketing, and it's ability to absorb moisture is very limited without having to apply it all the time - and then you get kind of a gunky mess in your shorts. TRUE butt paste!

Zeasorb powder can absorb about 5 times as much moisture, and is specifically designed to be much more slippery. This will help the maceration dramatically. You'll need to find a pharmacy to buy it, and a small bottle will set you back about $10.00 - but it works. Apply it liberally and rub it in to your skin and your shorts. Along with the Zeasorb a low dose of Ibuprofen will also help to keep the swelling down. At night instead of washing the area with soap (lye - which of course just makes things worse) get some Aveeno Body Wash. It contains colloidal Oatmeal (Avena sativa is the active ingredient) and other emollients that will help to soothe the skin. After washing apply Aveeno Intense Relief Hand Cream. It is readily absorbed and won't leave a residue. Fughedabout the other greasy kid stuff.

One other thing to consider - those stretch Lycra shorts often contain a lot of latex, especially in the waist band and cuffs - and latex can be extremely irritating. Millions of people are highly allergic to it, and simply touching it can cause contact dermatitis, hives, and in extreme cases - DEATH! (what a bad way to go... death by Fruit of the Loom)

You may want to consider changing your shorts - but not with me!

(You can tell I've spent way too much time around Dermatologists lately...)

Good luck!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zeasorb.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	5320  

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 25th, 2006 at 10:20 am.
post #15 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:00 am

AND a beaded seat. It just let's the good times roll!
post #16 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter

This is all good information, but now the next time there is a gathering of LTers I know I'll be wondering what you all are using down there and those are images and thoughts I'd like to stay away from.All this talk of underwear materials, butt creams, powders, waxes, pastes, and spackling compounds is making me a little unsettled.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #17 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
I was on the road 5 weeks last year, got a case myself, At each stop clean with a anti bac. baby wipe and re goo with either the A+D or Gold Bond.

Might want to try a micro fiber short instead, Better wicking of moisture.

Under armour, North Face, Etc.

actually under armor has just about the same amounts of poly that most lycra's do, unless it is real cheap lycra clothing, there should be real close to 7% mix

under armor is smooth on the inside like good lycra clothing, unlike the cheap lycra clothing

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #18 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 1:44 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Desitin. After raising 3 kids, I know all about it.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #19 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:01 pm Thread Starter

well... here's what happened... did 700 miles today. bought some of that A+D stuff at a drugstore and slathered it all over my beat up ass. then i slipped into a clean/dry pair of lycra bicycle shorts.

the ass is looking 100x better. now i'm in a hotel somewhere in Kentucky and am gonna slap that stuff all over my ass before I go to bed. I know, it sounds gay as hell. but it worked.

home tomorrow - and then off to alaska on saturday - gone for a month. am hoping the A+D stuff works as well as it did today.

i did find myself standing on the pegs today from time to time - or just scooting back on the seat and raising my ass so that I could get some circulation from my HT Air pants.

all seems well so far. a zillion times better than this time last night.

post #20 of 27 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:33 pm

Dan

Well...

I finally know something Dave does... Zeasorb 100%!!!! I was a HUGE A&D fan, I LOVE that stuff. I have a 5yo lil girl who sometimes gets irritated in the Hoo Hoo area, and the A&D ointment is my #1 go to goop.

NOW, 3years of Bike Patrol, I found Zsorb to be thee BEST!! It does absorb more than the others.

I have not tried the Monkeybutt powder...but I WILL SO BUY SOME!!! I just want the bottle. haha. If any of you have ever met me, I have monkeys on my truck, all over the house and my plates say 4x4MUNKY so...had I known about it, I would have some. haha.

I have not tried the beaded seat, I am contemplating it, but will take my first trip without it, and then in October when the wife gets back we will head out again, and if I was uncomfortable I will get one. I ofcourse will make her suffer so she can compare too..
After another year kicking Iraqi sand, I doubt anything would make her uncomfortable. 3yrs of Iraqi life in 4yrs, she barely knows how to speak English anymore.

I am glad the A&D is working, now try the Zsorb and you will have something to compare to, and I GUARANTEE you will not look back.

Have a safe trip Qtr Pounder!

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #21 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 7:28 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
well... here's what happened... did 700 miles today. bought some of that A+D stuff at a drugstore and slathered it all over my beat up ass. then i slipped into a clean/dry pair of lycra bicycle shorts.

the ass is looking 100x better. now i'm in a hotel somewhere in Kentucky and am gonna slap that stuff all over my ass before I go to bed. I know, it sounds gay as hell. but it worked.

home tomorrow - and then off to alaska on saturday - gone for a month. am hoping the A+D stuff works as well as it did today.

i did find myself standing on the pegs today from time to time - or just scooting back on the seat and raising my ass so that I could get some circulation from my HT Air pants.

all seems well so far. a zillion times better than this time last night.

I'm glad -- really -- that this stuff is working for you and things are better, but I gotta tell you: this is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Not the problem, but your description of last night's activities. It is SO ripe for a satirical/zinger comeback, but I'll let it go. I can't promise that others will leave it alone, though.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #22 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
and then off to alaska on saturday -
Yep, get some beads...or bead rider...if on the road and autoparts and cut to fit..... as they say...million taxi cab drivers can't be that wrong..

BTW, look for Fletcher Clark, he will be in Alaska about Friday and Saturday, on his VSTROM for this trip... maybe you can meet him on the Haul Road...

another friend Tim Yow is on a KLM or is it KLR..

Have a great trip....

Don G Norwood
11 R1200GSA w/DMC sidecar Radio Flyer IV
2015 G650GS, 1998 1200 C

"Oh Lord I pray, Just let me live long enough to do everything they say I have done"
post #23 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
Corn Starch, Bike shorts and Beaded seat.
Rock,

Your beaded seat ws shown on one of the photos from the first Ohio Tech Session. Can you recommend a source for it?

Thanks.

Bob Darkey
post #24 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkey
Rock,

Your beaded seat ws shown on one of the photos from the first Ohio Tech Session. Can you recommend a source for it?

Thanks.
BobbyD - while waiting on Rock to answer, you might check out Whitehorse Press where I got mine. Relatively inexpensive; however, I have heard of several folks buying the car seat model at Wally World and cutting to size.

Someone axed earlier about where to buy Anti-Monkey Butt powder. I just noticed that Whitehorse sells bottles of that stuff also. Same page.

Good luck - and I'm a user/believer in the Beaded Seat product.
post #25 of 27 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 1:03 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
I got mine from Raffy, look here. Though I will say I hardly use it after getting a Bill Mayer Saddle. A properly fit custom saddle means you can do away with beads, sheepskins, and those funny air bladders.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #26 of 27 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 1:37 am

Once you have it, Desitin, or A&D. Will clear it up in no time. Nothing better OTC.
post #27 of 27 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 6:25 am

Quote:
Rock,

Thanks.
I believe I got it herehttp://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=3
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in