Help me with a ride! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 1:42 am Thread Starter

Help me with a ride!

Ok,
Boss says I am to stressed and need a vacation. I am planning on leaving on a Monday night.

I have till the Following Sunday. So, I need suggestions on where to go, what to see. Tips, advice, items to take, etc. I have been on some other CC rides, but always ask the question before.....and take as much as I can, and I have needed the things in the past as well.

So, I was thinking Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore...etc.
I would like to get as many sights in as possible. I want to also ensure I have another SS1K or even a 1.5k in(haven't done that yet)

I am not limited to the west or central...just have no ideas what to see or where to go. As I said, I would like to get pix of as MANY sights as possible and get back in a week.

SO, I am open for routes you all have taken, sight suggestions, photo op areas, places to eat, places to visit, and people to meet during the route. I am waiting on my V1 to get mounted, my Chicane bag mounted(thanks Hans) and my amp and other Farkles added to the Ipod.

Ari...thought about being a 3rd wheel with you for a few miles...that would be about the time I would be wanting to get out of dodge...only problem is you are wanting to be around on a Wednesday and I hope to be gone on that Monday...so I may wait till I meet you and then take off on the following Monday. I know a lot of you will be out on the road for CCR......so,hope to meet up with some.

DShealy, you know I value your wisdom and experience, and I am hoping that with the replies and such I get, maybe you can help me generate a route, and then I will need help to get it on the GPS. I was thinking hit the sights on the way out...and make sure the last sight is enough distance back...then hit the SS1K on the way in...or doing the opposite...doing the SS1K out...then coming back slowly seeing the sights.

I will probably be hitting a lot of KOAs...so any of those that can be in the route would be nice. Not a lot of money available for this...I am just getting the HELLL outta Dodge. Been 2full time jobs, AND full time SINGLE father for 8mos straight now...and only had 11days off in that 8mos. SO, I am due...and entitled. Just do not have alot of Benjamins for the trip.

Thanks in advance...as I know I will Have TONS of info to sort through and record as you guys really are the greatest.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 4:57 am

When I'm stressed and tired all I really DO NOT need is a schedule to keep and places to be.

If I were in your boots, I'd just ride and see where the wind took me. One of my biggest "nirvana" moments was going down a road a thousand miles away from home, watching the sun come up over the mountains with no place to be at no particular time.

Man, you're setting yourself up trying to come up with an organized thang.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 7:06 am

Not trying to influence your decision, but most of the *relaxing* riding I've done followed the old biker axiom "bikers don't pick a destination, they pick a direction".

Sounds like you're carrying your stress with you, looking for as many sights as possible, accomplishing a 1.5, etc. Some of the best rides I carry in memory are ones where I left early in a morning, rode a road till I tired of it then picked another by look of the area or a sign. Stopped when I was hungry & found a place to sleep when I was tired. I've met interesting people nearly everywhere, but a lot of 'em have been at unplanned stops, & not having a schedule allowed me to spend the time to enjoy the time with them.

If the object of the trip is to relieve stress, I'd let the bike, the road, & the wind do that, & the only thing I'd plan is to change anything that was causing stress with the trip.

Good luck, & I hope it turns out well for you.

Jinks ('86fxrs, '07 FLTR)

Remember, "No good deed goes unpunished"

post #4 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:31 am

Bill;
I agree with the advice provided thus far (which is great). Why not find some middle ground between the advice provided and a detailed trip (as you described); such as head towards a general desination, but not be concerned with how you arrived, what route taken or other details - just ride and see what happens. Who knows, maybe after a few days riding you might want to update your ride with a SS. 6-7 days is a lot of ride time and provides one with a lot of options.

my 2 cents
Mark
post #5 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:34 am
Lifetime Supporter

What Grif said.. just "wander".

If you want to ride to Texas, you have a place to stay in Round Rock..just north of Austin.

Just come on down.

sending a PM.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:49 am

I agree with all of the above. You might just pick one area and head in that general direction and see what happens. A week isn't a very long time and although you can cover allot of ground you might not really experience the things you'll be ridding through.
I would not recommend Yellowstone this time of the year unless you like traffic jams.......better after Labor day
post #7 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:30 am

Yup - it's the ride, not the arrival.

FWIW, if you manage to wander up this away, there's a room wait'n - skip the KOA.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #8 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:28 am

I would ride to Yellowstone and take a 3 day guided river fishing trip, or go to the NORTH RIM (9,000 ft. msl) of the Grand Canyon and camp/hike along the rim. You need to chill - literally and figuratively. Either location would be nice and cool. You will have a difficult time getting a camp site at either location so you may need to get "creative" - which I think always adds a lot of adventure to a trip... off roading on the LT is ALWAYS fun!

That gives you two leisurely days to get to either location, and two back. The other destinations you mentioned are just too damn hot this time of year. Jeez, I was in Steamboat Springs yesterday and it was 91 in the shade. Crazy.

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 24th, 2006 at 2:45 pm.
post #9 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:41 am

Like everyone has been saying, Just wander along smelling the Roses and see where it takes you. But keep in mind nothing clears the mind and cures the soul like a ride through the mountains.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #10 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 2:39 pm

You've got a good list of potential sites to visit already. I also tend to wander and if anything, look at the map or tourist guides when I stop for the night. Anything I pick in advance or along the road remains a loose goal that doesn't have to be achieved. My favorite places visited have always been the unexpected finds along the road anyway.
post #11 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Garage
Post Ride...

I propose a mix of what other people are saying - I have on more than one occasion missed that "oh I wish I knew it was there" whatever and wished I had known so I could stop... And on more than one occasion I will just ride for hundreds of miles enjoying "the ride."

I would say "in general" do not miss Highway 1 along the coast - anywhere North of San Fran or South of Monterey. Big trees redwoods above Santa Cruz. ANY road in the Sierra Nevada. Yosemite valley is a must! Hwy 84 (Oregon) or 14 (Washington) along the Columbia river is amazing...

After sitting here in the central valley in 110++ degree humid weather for the past two weeks, I can't in my right mind suggest visiting Hoover Damn (I hear it's 115+ in Las Vegas now... )

Have fun - ride safe and enjoy!

Gino
Modesto, CA
'02 Silver
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
For they passed a noble law,
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw. --Rush
post #12 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 4:23 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
Ok,
Boss says I am to stressed and need a vacation. I am planning on leaving on a Monday night.

So, I was thinking Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Yellowstone, Mt. Rushmore...etc.
shoot there are a ton of great places, but if you are going to be at the Grand Canyon, a must see is just south of there down 89 sunset crater national park and on the north side of it is Wupatki National monument it has one awesome mud huts you can still walk through it also border the northside of the painted deserts so the views through the lava fields in sunset crater turn into the most spectacluar sites you can imagine

if your staying in that area hit REd Hat, Mesa Verde monument valley bryce canyon do the grand staircase , ohh gee I wish I could spend a month just in that area alone!

it is all worth the time here links

http://www.nps.gov/sucr/
http://www.nps.gov/wupa/
http://www.mesaverde.com/

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #13 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 4:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinks
Not trying to influence your decision, but most of the *relaxing* riding I've done followed the old biker axiom "bikers don't pick a destination, they pick a direction".

Sounds like you're carrying your stress with you, looking for as many sights as possible, accomplishing a 1.5, etc. Some of the best rides I carry in memory are ones where I left early in a morning, rode a road till I tired of it then picked another by look of the area or a sign. Stopped when I was hungry & found a place to sleep when I was tired. I've met interesting people nearly everywhere, but a lot of 'em have been at unplanned stops, & not having a schedule allowed me to spend the time to enjoy the time with them.

If the object of the trip is to relieve stress, I'd let the bike, the road, & the wind do that, & the only thing I'd plan is to change anything that was causing stress with the trip.

Good luck, & I hope it turns out well for you.
what jinks said, head south pass the Collegiate mountains, there is a great KOA about midway that does guided Horse back rides pass some old mining camps, have a great time regardless

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #14 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:44 pm

Go where the wind blows, find a pretty spot within walking distance of hot food and cold beer. Park the bike, string up a hammock. Don't get out of the hammock for three days 'cept to get food or beer.

Then ride the long way home...slowly.
post #15 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:15 pm

What I would do...

I love riding 101 from it's most northern point on down to almost San Fran. I love riding and walking through redwoods.
I also like Hwy 50 across Nevada. The "Loneliest Road". Lake Tahoe too.
Montana is amazing, Wyoming will surprise you. Utah is another fave.
I don't know why but I have never really enjoyed Colorado. I can't say why.

But northern California, Oregon, Washington State, and Montana is all good, just ride it. Even the slab is interesting between Boseman and Idaho.

I think I may do it all again in September. Or Deals Gap, it's been awhile....
post #16 of 20 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Wow, not what I was expecting

I guess I was expecting highway number, and mile markers of great points of interest, places to eat, perfect routes, areas of bad road construction, etc.

Instead I get post after post after post of "Just go where the wind blows" That is NOT what I started this thread for. I wanted DETAILS PEOPLE!! and then....I thought about it...

You guys are absolutely 100% correct!! I am stressing about losing stress. So, I am planning on doing just as all you experienced stress relieving folks have suggested.

I think I am going to head up to Wyoming, then head west, and see the NW and then down to California, and I WILL go to Hoover Dam(been reading about it, and now am interested) despite the 115degree weather....uggg...again..maybe just play it by ear.

Now for those of you that suggested the fishing tour, the hammock etc... that stuff would make me "Eat a bullet" hahaha. I could NEVER sit still, that is why I am so high strung. If I could do those things, I would as I know that is what truly I need...I need to just "STOP" but mentally I cannot do that.

So, I kinda have a plan, I need to just get it in motion. If any of you in the NW or even running south are gonna be out riding around..or just would like to meet up with me and show me your favorite areas, or your sites around..I would be interested.

I still need to get a SS1K in there though. That is just a personal thing, I try to get 1 a year and I do not see me having the opportunity in the next few months of this year.

Thanks guys...still open to suggestions, roads, places to eat, sites to see, etc.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #17 of 20 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:07 am

Glad you got the message, we're a subtle bunch aren't we?

We all know what stfu means here, I'm making up a new one just for you...

STFD... slow the f--- down!

PEACE......... Officer.

(ya still oughta pack a hammock)
post #18 of 20 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:34 am

The ULTIMATE destination, dinner with the HDDC NorCal Posse any Wednesday evening.
Let us know when you are in the area.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #19 of 20 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 5:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
I still need to get a SS1K in there though. That is just a personal thing, I try to get 1 a year and I do not see me having the opportunity in the next few months of this year.
As far as that goes, you really can do that anytime. It takes less than 24 hours. If you're on your trip, you have to screw with the docs and keeping up with all the receipts, not a stress buster. I accidentally did a bun burner gold without meaning to (and without knowing it, Meese pointed it out). No docs, nada por nada, but I did it. No stress either.

I know eggsackree what you mean about not laying around. Most of my stress is my own doing and what I want to accomplish. My head is my worst enemy.

That is why, if you really need to bust some stress, don't doc a 1k, do one if you want, but leave it be.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #20 of 20 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 6:25 am

I'd have to say head straight up to Idaho. It has to be some of the most relaxing scenic riding on the planet and there are not very many people around. Lots of prime vacation places are madhouses right now!

Get past the nasty hot part of ID (southeast corner) and take in some of the sites along the way, any ride there is good.

I don't sit still for long either and thats why I suggest Idaho, there are some spots that even make me sit still...for a few minutes at least

happy trails!..geo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in