30 years ago - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:37 am Thread Starter

30 years ago

I got my license, which allowed you to ride motorcycles back then, there was no MSF, there were no other requirements to ride a MC.

A friend of mine which BTW is still a good friend (going to bristol with him soon) Got me into Motorcycling seriously at about age 12 (ok as serious as a kid could get having to pay for everything himself) Mom would not even think about lending a buck to the causes at that age (No causes to be truthful)

I had been riding my TS 400 to school and back for a while by that time no license but no one cared back then, heck my neighbor was a local cop there were three of them there then (ok maybe a few more but none all on duty at the same time) I had a hell of a time on the 400 it was thee most fun thing I had ever done! , Orange groves sand pits dirt trails we did em all had a blast! Got minorly hurt a few dozen times off road (DAMN CACTUS SUCK!)

After that had a 360t honda for a very short time (hell i forgot i owned that damn thing WHAT A POS that was), then got a Water Buffalo (think it was a 74 or 75 model) that bike was fast (damn fast for the day and what I could buy).
I remember thinking i was kicking some fancy ass Porsche's arse heading toward Okeechobee, about 130 mph I was gaining speed slowly butt I was getting him, I pulled along side going for the pass, he nodded……. I saw tail lights disappear in the distance in just a couple moments....... I was young and that WAS AWESOME! that damn car just disappeared down that long lonely road to (then) No where!

Since a little Kid out in San Berdo I fell in love with Choppers Harleys to be exact, I used to sneak off and ride my Bicycle down town to peer in the window of some chopper shop filled with big bad bikers, don’t know the name of the shop or the darn street for that matter, just remember them HUGE bikers (of course I was like 8 then) now and then one would peer at me, none ever said a word to me.

I have a friend Big Dave (he is still a good friend as well) that rode with me back when I had that 400 he was about 10 years older than I, We used to raise cane off road together once in a while, well some years later I ended up working at a place he did this is the story how I ended up buying my First HD, One day at work he had his Shovel out there, Keep in mind he is 6’7” and just about 400 lbs then (huge Man!) well he was betting some folks that if they could start his HD (it was Kickstart only and a stroker at that)with their Arm they could ride it, a few tried none did it, I walked over and said to him I start it I ride it right, he said with your Arm! Well I was pretty dang small at 17 about 125 130 lbs soaking wet, , but I knew I was starting that DAMN bike, and I did First try. He almost would not let me ride it, told him I’d kick his ass if he didn’t (bwhahahahaha)
That was it, I had to have one. HAD TO!
Ol Big Dave and I went to looking for a HD then for me, a cheap one I could afford ya know, we found a ’66 FL someone had put a 10 over FE on it 12 point friggen ugliest pullback damn bars ya ever seen on it. Under a lean too outside Frostproof FL, I didn’t have quite enough cash to buy the bike, so we headed back to town, dave knew the folks at the auto parts store went in asked em to borrow like an additional 600 bucks, they did we went beack pulled up , the guy was countin pennies on his tailgate, the bike was sold! we paid em a grand for it,
It was done I was headed back with a HD in the back of the truck, I sat on the bike all the way back home, HEAVEN I TELLYA, the wind in my hair hell I didn’t give a crap I was in the back of the truck on MY HARLEY hell I made him drive by everyones house and show it to them in the back of the truck

It has now been a lifetime of riding, riding my kids all over the place since they were wee leetle babies, we have had some fantastic times on those Harleys and now since 2002 BMW’s,

My life is good at 45! which has included a new wife (which has been a great riding partner and 2 wonderful step kids for about 18 years now) my 2 kids and My bikes, I never gave em up to raise the family but one time for about a year when I got my first (and only) Divorce, no it’s not the story where the wife got everything, I got everything, the Kids, I sold off everything to pay for a good lawyer to win custody, I did. I got it all thee most important things in my life my kids…..

Life is GOOD!

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:41 am Thread Starter

shoot should I have put this in Chit chat?

tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
I got my license

Tom

post #3 of 9 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 12:38 pm

I stole my first bike

It was ten years before Tom got his license, I was 16 and working part time pumping gas at the local Clark station.
One night on my shift the managers girlfriend comes whizzing into the station and bounced off the huge wooden Clark sign on the edge of the station, I ran out helped to pick her and the bike up, it was a Sears something or another 50cc moped I think, any way I stand her up, she's crying and rides of making a big loop around the station and runs head on in to the sign "again"
What the hell are you doing?
She blubbers and sobs, he's at "the party" with another girl and I'm going kill myself.
Oh no you're not I said and took the bike from her and parked it around the back of the station.
I called her boyfriend and he came and got her, which is what she really wanted.
Anyway that bike sat behind the station for a month and one night I needed a ride home, I rode it the rest of the summer and nobody ever asked for it,
by fall I had saved enough to buy me a 250 Suzuki X6 hustler.
But that's another story.

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 4:35 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
It was ten years before Tom got his license, I was 16 and working part time pumping gas at the local Clark station.
One night on my shift the managers girlfriend comes whizzing into the station and bounced off the huge wooden Clark sign on the edge of the station, I ran out helped to pick her and the bike up, it was a Sears something or another 50cc moped I think, any way I stand her up, she's crying and rides of making a big loop around the station and runs head on in to the sign "again"
What the hell are you doing?
She blubbers and sobs, he's at "the party" with another girl and I'm going kill myself.
Oh no you're not I said and took the bike from her and parked it around the back of the station.
I called her boyfriend and he came and got her, which is what she really wanted.
Anyway that bike sat behind the station for a month and one night I needed a ride home, I rode it the rest of the summer and nobody ever asked for it,
by fall I had saved enough to buy me a 250 Suzuki X6 hustler.
But that's another story.
Cool beans ya saved a gal from herself and fell in love........

Tom

post #5 of 9 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Cool beans ya saved a gal from herself and fell in love........
The love started long before that,
While I was growing up in Holland,
my Dad used to take me for rides into Germany on his moped until he got a small 2-stroke motorcycle,
So you might say I was raised to be a rider. in Der Fatherland

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #6 of 9 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
The love started long before that,
While I was growing up in Holland,
my Dad used to take me for rides into Germany on his moped until he got a small 2-stroke motorcycle,
So you might say I was raised to be a rider. in Der Fatherland

hehehe, Awesome! my kids have been as well, two of them stuck with it, one wants to and the other will ride with me but she is short and has a block of ever riding her own

Tom

post #7 of 9 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 6:56 pm

You guys are killing me! My dad would pick me up from school when I was in 1st grade and I would stand between his knees on his Allstate scooter. My mom would wake up on Saturday mornings and wonder where we had gotten off to until she heard the scooter putt up the driveway.

Like tmgs, my first bike was a Suzuki TS400J my barracks room mate sold me in 1974 while stationed in Louisiana. Unlike you guys I stopped when I was reassigned to Alaska. "THEY" assured me the riding season was too short to be worthwhile. "THEY", of course, were wrong. I'm glad to be back on the road, even if thirty years late.

Thanks for jogging my memories.

Sandy
Temporary tourist in the lower 48 states
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 7:02 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman
You guys are killing me! My dad would pick me up from school when I was in 1st grade and I would stand between his knees on his Allstate scooter. My mom would wake up on Saturday mornings and wonder where we had gotten off to until she heard the scooter putt up the driveway.

Like tmgs, my first bike was a Suzuki TS400J my barracks room mate sold me in 1974 while stationed in Louisiana. Unlike you guys I stopped when I was reassigned to Alaska. "THEY" assured me the riding season was too short to be worthwhile. "THEY", of course, were wrong. I'm glad to be back on the road, even if thirty years late.

Thanks for jogging my memories.

Shoot some of you guys were reallylucky, My Mom wanted me to have nothing to do with bikes, I used to sneak off to ride mini bikes as a little kid, then sneak off to ride with my friend that got me hooked, she finally caved when I came home and told her I had put a deposit on that TS 400, she then went and looked at the bike and didn;t want me to buy it, she saw a 350 something or another , I told her it was too heavy so she let ME buy the TS, it wasn;t till I tore both my knees open that she found out just how much power the ts had over the 350 honda thing, hehehehe, man that TS kicked my rear a few dozen times!

Tom

post #9 of 9 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:12 pm

Quote:
Shoot some of you guys were reallylucky, My Mom wanted me to have nothing to do with bikes, I used to sneak off to ride mini bikes as a little kid, then sneak off to ride with my friend that got me hooked, she finally caved when I came home and told her I had put a deposit on that TS 400, she then went and looked at the bike and didn;t want me to buy it, she saw a 350 something or another , I told her it was too heavy so she let ME buy the TS, it wasn;t till I tore both my knees open that she found out just how much power the ts had over the 350 honda thing, hehehehe, man that TS kicked my rear a few dozen times!
I feel the pain, my mom would never let me have a bike, dad bought me a Lambretta scooter in Germany and mom was relieved when I could not get it to run. I didn't buy the TS until I was 21, in the USAF two years and still trembled when I told her I got it (dad just smiled). I could probably trade scar pics from the TS and my knee still hurts from kick starting that tank when it was 35 degrees and the compression release was (always) broke. ****enough sandy or we will be looking at dirt bikes again****
****no we won't*****
****yes we will!*****
Roses are red, violets are blue
I'm schizophrenic and so am I!!!
pant, pant, whew I'm better now.

Sandy
Temporary tourist in the lower 48 states

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in