Ural Motorcycles - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Question Ural Motorcycles

All--

For now I have given up on the idea of moving back to the desert... I still hate driving a car but we have a few months here in Colorado that I am stuck in the cage. Unless....http://www.imz-ural.com/patrol/

I was wondering if anyone here has owned or has any experience with these bikes. It's my understanding that they were born of BMW heritage (but I could be totally wrong).

I am curious about maintenance, performance, etc.

Thanks
Tim

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Ural motorcycles

My understanding is that the Russians took the machine tools out of a german factory and brought it home. That may be urban legend but the Ural is clearly a BMW airhead knock-off.
The quality of a new Ural is probably worse than the average 40 yr old BMW (what I have been told while kicking tires and telling lies at the annual Maine European Motorcycle Enthusiasts meet. (http://www.eurobikemaine.org/mememeet.html).
I checked out new Urals at the meet (a dealer was there with a few models), quaint but I wouldn't own one except as a novelity.
Kind of like the new old bikes that come out of India, Royal Enfields.
Kind of retro, but inferior in the reliablity department.
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 9:56 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I know someone who owned one... sold it to someone who owned another one.. .I presume for "spare parts".. the bike is not a "distance" machine, but a "tractor". It will be great "on the farm"... it will need to be reqired as soon as you buy it so it doesn't go up in smoke (see first part of this note). You then upgrade the fuse system and you'll have a decent tractor.

BTW.. "rumor" I heard is they stole prints to the BMW and built a factory far from German bombers in the URAL mountains...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 4:04 am

My Brother in law had one, just sold it. His main reason to purchase it was price. his has a side car also. I was not impressed with it, still using 1940 technology. drum brakes, and seemed a lot of problems. He always trailered it to location and then rode when arrived knda like another brand we hear so much of.

He thinks I am crazy for riding to location and riding when I get there, but I guess that is another thread.

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 8:02 am

I started seeing them in 93, rode one. Rode in the hack, wanted to see about making it a small stake body platform Simple rip off of Airhead design.
Why buy one when I can get an Airhead for same money maybe less. The sidecar driven /braked wheel does give you some abilities, that surpass other bikes.
There is a write up in the MOA magazine about them last month.
Rock
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 19th, 2006, 11:54 am

I was the ride coordinator for the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum ( http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTourer/start ) regional saddle sore 1000, Florida edition, last year where one of the riders entered was riding one.

We had a tropical system move in on us that day, and many decided to not even try the ride due to the heavy rain and gusty winds. The Ural rider, with sidecar, rode the whole SS-1000 in the rain, and finished in time (barely!)

He indicated that it was a bit maintenance intensive, but that it was built so low tech that you could repair with about anything anywhere. One of his carburetors even fell off during the ride, hanging by the throttle cable and fuel line. He reached down and pushed it back into place without even stopping.

He claimed that top speed on level ground was about 60 MPH, and that he once hit 65 going downhill! It's a wonder that he didn't get run over. Unless most of your riding in on rural unpaved roads, I'd recommend one only as a novelty.

Ruben

2012 K1600 GTL
2007 R1200GS Adventure
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 21st, 2006, 10:55 am

Ural ownership

I actually owned one for a couple years. Great fun when it was running but it was ancient technology. They have upgraded them somewhat over the years, 750cc now, up from 650, and made a few more improvements.

The Ural story has it that the Russians took a WWII BMW apart and reverse engineered their factory. They have producing them ever since, mostly for work on the farms. One of the sidecar models (the only reason to own one at all would be for the sidecar) has two wheel drive (sidecar wheel is driven as well, directly from the rear mc wheel.)

The funnest aspect was taking it anywhere and seeing the crowd that gathered, all thinking it was an ancient BMW! I had more than one compliment on the restoration job I'd done on it! When I told them it was actually a 1998 model, they were dissapointed.

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in