Motorcycle Specific Oil vs regular oil - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 4:01 pm Thread Starter

Motorcycle Specific Oil vs regular oil

I saw this question pop up in a thread and I figured ask Amsoil's Technical Advisor ED Kellerman. This is the reply I received.

John,

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

As long as the oil meets or exceeds the manufactures specifications, the warranty cannot be voided. Our motorcycle specific oils however are extremely resistant to high heat and high shear commonly found in motorcycle applications. With this in mind, anyone who feels uncomfortable with using automotive or diesel oil can certainly use one of our advanced motorcycle formulations as well.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Ed Kellerman

AMSOIL Technical Advisor

I guess the question is does the BMW owner manual have any specific wording requiring "Motorcycle Specific oils" or does it simply state that your must use the correct API rated oil?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 4:25 pm

Hhmmn...

You know . . . for a minute there, this thread almost sounded like one, big, huge AMSOIL commercial. But then you end it with a thought-provocing question. So it must not be one, big, huge AMSOIL commercial after all. Or...is it?!
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 4:31 pm Thread Starter

LOL Not a commercial, just trying to answer a question I saw on another thread. Here is another link that helps with warranty question.
http://www.sema.org/main/semaorghome.aspx?ID=50096

Hey if you need some good oil cal---- never mind. LOL

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoilguy
I guess the question is does the BMW owner manual have any specific wording requiring "Motorcycle Specific oils"?
I have not found any specific wording, so I would assume the answer is no .

As has been said by many on this site before, as long as it meets the recommended specs it will work because "oil is oil."

With todays modern motorcycles it has been my experience that the engine will probably outlast most of the other critical components regardless of the brand, or cost of the oil used.

I have ran several motorcycles beyond the 150K mark using the cheapest oils I can find, and have yet to experience an oil related problem. Most of the bikes I've owned either died from age related failure of multiple smaller components that made repair cost prohibitive, or I killed them unintentionally.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Quote:
I saw this question pop up in a thread and I figured ask Amsoil's Technical Advisor ED Kellerman. This is the reply I received.

John,

As long as the oil meets or exceeds the manufactures specifications, the warranty cannot be voided. Our motorcycle specific oils however are extremely resistant to high heat and high shear commonly found in motorcycle applications. With this in mind, anyone who feels uncomfortable with using automotive or diesel oil can certainly use one of our advanced motorcycle formulations as well.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,

Ed Kellerman

AMSOIL Technical Advisor

I guess the question is does the BMW owner manual have any specific wording requiring "Motorcycle Specific oils" or does it simply state that your must use the correct API rated oil?
There are three things the person needs to know about the BMW "K" engines that can drastically change what he may think. These are that it is a car like water cooled engine, and the transmission has it's own lubrication supply, and the clutch is a dry one. The high temp of the oil he is talking about is for air cooled engines, the high shear is for transmission and wet clutch use, neither of which the LT has. Some motorcycle specific oils have friction modifiers in them for wet clutch use.

The LT is perfectly fine with standard automotive oil of the API grades specified by BMW.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 4:47 pm Thread Starter

You are exactly right David. I can't remember where I saw it but one of the threads mentioned a BMW dealers who was apparently informing an owner that his warranty would be voided unless he used a motorcycle specific oil. I guess he confused about the words; Specification (API rating) and Specific. You know one thing I have learned while being a Amsoil dealer is there are a lot of misinformed dealers, service managers and mechanics out there.
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
There are two things the person needs to know about the BMW "K" engines that can drastically change what he may think is that it is a car like water cooled engine, and the transmission has it's own lubrication supply, and the clutch is a dry one. The high temp of the oil he is talking about is for air cooled engines, the high shear is for transmission and wet clutch use, neither of which the LT has. Some motorcycle specific oils have friction modifiers in them for wet clutch use.

The LT is perfectly fine with standard automotive oil of the API grades specified by BMW.
Just for a little clarification...

Some of the "facts" above no longer apply to all "the BMW "K" engines". The new K1200GT's transmission, as well as the K1200S and K1200R do not have their lubrication system. And the clutch is not a dry clutch. Thank Heavens!!! For these reasons, I would highly recommend motorcycle-specific formulated oils.

Thought I'd throw this in, since this appears to be no longer just an LT-based forum.
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Just for a little clarification...

Some of the "facts" above no longer apply to all "the BMW "K" engines". The new K1200GT's transmission, as well as the K1200S and K1200R do not have their lubrication system. And the clutch is not a dry clutch. Thank Heavens!!! For these reasons, I would highly recommend motorcycle-specific formulated oils.

Thought I'd throw this in, since this appears to be no longer just an LT-based forum.
You are correct Joe! I wish BMW had changed the designation for the new generation of engine/powertrain. Years of "K" bike knowledge and advise are going to be extremely confusing now that there is a totally different series with the same "K" designation. The ones of us who have dealt heavily with the LT configuration are going to have a hard time remembering that there is a new "K" series now that the knowledge will not apply to.

edited: Guess we will have to do what BMW did not, and classify them here as LK and TK, for Longitudinal and Transverse K engines.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 6:51 am

Dave, your answer was appropriate for this site. This IS the K1200LT board and the vast majority of us understood what you were relaying. Thanks for your inputs.

"We'll never get this carpet clean."

Bill McAllister
St. Louis, MO.
2003 K1200LTE
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 8:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by McAllister
Dave, your answer was appropriate for this site. This IS the K1200LT board and the vast majority of us understood what you were relaying.
Sorry Bub...but you are dead wrong. "THIS" is not the K1200LT board. This thread is in a sub-forum called "Bike Talk". Had this thread been in the "K1200LT forum", I would not have commented. The fact is, the winds of change are blowing. And those winds are about to blow all over the K1200LT model as well. The new K1200LT is going to have a new powerplant in one form or another. And chances are VERY good that the engine and transmission will share oil, and the clutch is going to be a wet clutch.

I carefully created my post as to not come across as some kinda "DAVID YOU'RE WRONG!" post. I thought the exchange between David and I was a good one. I think David would concur. It's important for many people lurking on the sidelines to know how the "K" is changing, whether you agree with that or not.
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 8:34 am

Quote:

John,

Sincerely,

Ed Kellerman

AMSOIL Technical Advisor

funny cause about last year, Amsoil told me the mc oil was the same formula as the non mc oil

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2006, 8:56 am

Garage
Is the service bulletin from BMW still in effect that states that SJ oil is not approved for any BMW motorcycle? It is an old bulletin dated 11/25/98 bulletin # 2855. I would post it but I don't know how.
The old amsoil motorcycle (amf) & (amv) 10w40 & 20w50 oils were api SH oils but the new (mcf) & (mcv) 10w40 & 20w50 oils are api SL rated.

1999 K1200LT Rat Bike Sold
2000 K1200LT Black Bike SOLD
2003 K1200RS Alpine White and Blue SOLD
2002 R1150GS sold
2008 "smart"
2001 K1200LT current project, AKA M1.2, AKA Horten 229
2002 F650GS It's runnin y'all
2005 K1200S
2012 R1200GS Rally

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in