Who goes to Sturgis?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 5:21 pm Thread Starter

Who goes to Sturgis??

I was just wondering who goes to Sturgis for the rally? We go every year. That is where I found a new drug of choice. The K1200LT. I just decided to go on a demo ride with my S.O. in 1999. The rest is history. She said " Honey I would sure like the heated seat on our next bike. I said "self, you gotta have a touring bike with brakes and handling like a crotch rocket"

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 7:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
I was just wondering who goes to Sturgis for the rally? We go every year. That is where I found a new drug of choice. The K1200LT. I just decided to go on a demo ride with my S.O. in 1999. The rest is history. She said " Honey I would sure like the heated seat on our next bike. I said "self, you gotta have a touring bike with brakes and handling like a crotch rocket"
I go to Sturgis regularly but avoid the rally like the plague. All those Harleys riding in giant groups take all the fun out of the roads there. The area is fantastic for riding so I cannot handle just doing the "biker" thing and missing out on the riding while I am there. I've gotta admit that the culture is interesting. Have a great time, but I would highly recommend heading up when you can really ride the LT. Late August/early September offered the least traffic of any of my visits--the heated seat and adjustable windshield will come in handy.

2005 Graphite
The only way to live is in the wind....
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 7:06 pm

Smile Ride to Sturgis

I am planning to ride up again this year. I have been riding up ever since I purchased the LT. I used to race up there back in the late 50es & early 60es. I have a great time up there camping out and visiting with some old friends and meeting new ones.

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 8:06 pm

What is this " Sturgis" you speak of?
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 9:42 pm

Every year. It's interesting to watch people's behaviour and you won't find a more interesting place for that on earth!
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 6:36 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith
What is this " Sturgis" you speak of?
It is a motorcycle rally around the black hills in western South Dakota. It started out as a group of flat track racers and has turned into a two + week event in the area. It is suppossed to be the largest rally in the U.S. It used to be mostly Harley riders but has grown to all makes. This is the 66th year.

http://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com/

2Wheelroadtrip (Barney)
03 LTC
82 Aspencade
Time Out camper

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

It's not where we go. It's that we go.

The information from this site and its members has proven to be invaluable again.
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 7:01 am

Been there, won't go back during the rally. Last thing I want to do is spend my time trying to get around a large crowd of stupid people.
I will go to ride, give me late spring.
It used to be the differant flavor of local places that held a draw.Now days they have a cookie cutter model of the Broken Spoke, Suck-Bang-Blow, etc at every place. Been to the New HD place in Daytona, HD's version of Wal-mart!
So the retards can feel comfortable surroundings as they spend there vacation time standing 3 deep at a bar to pay $5 for a beer
DOH
Just my opinion, but I have been going to rallies for 30+ years, constantly the last decade as part of my gig (hate the word "job" so bad I don't even read that part of the bible)
For those that do go, there is a very little used road , that pops right out into town beside the grain mill.
Unpaved for a short ways last time I was on it, so you won't see any chrome toilets, gets you out of retard traffic fast.
Rock
Rock
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 8:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Wheelroadtrip
She said " Honey I would sure like the heated seat on our next bike. I said "self, you gotta have a touring bike with brakes and handling like a crotch rocket"
You just described the new GT...not an LT! "Handling like a crotch rocket" from an 850# bike? You've obviously never ridden a "crotch rocket"! The GT...now you're talking! And it has the heated seats for your gal.

As for Sturgis . . . um . . . never! BMW based events are the only rally-type events that I'll attend. Because the people actually ride. And most don't drink like fools. And the women have enough discretion to wear bras. Nothing worse than a scanky old tattoo-clad hag without a bra. Oh wait! Yes there is! When she decides to flash everybody!!!
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 9:42 am

It's fun to do once at least. Best thing to do is get out of Sturgis after you've checked out the vendors and do a drive to Custer and around the park. Great park...watch out for the Mountain Goats though . I suggest a drive on the Wyoming side, north to Montana and go west. It's great country. Be prepared....it always rains during the rally and it'll be hotter'n hell.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 10:00 am

I like Sturgis but Mama does not. Seen one bike/vendor/tee-shirt...you seen'em all

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 12:56 pm

I loved the ride to and frum Sturgis last summer. Initialy I thought all those 'hawq' drivers were going slow due to speed limits, then I saw the sign and just passed 'em all at every opportunity.

But the weekend there, nah - pass. That night up there I was 'taken' to "one-eyed-Jacks", I think it's called. After about 10 minutes in that dinn, I went out and looked at all the bikes, chatted with the folks. That wasn't too bad at all.

Now - if there was a BMW 'centric' area/event/gathering, maybe a county or even a state over or so...

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #12 of 12 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 6:17 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ccr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Now - if there was a BMW 'centric' area/event/gathering, maybe a county or even a state over or so...
I thinks it's called CCR... but you knew that!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in