"Feasting on Asphalt" - New Motorcycle TV Program on Food Network - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 10:50 am Thread Starter

"Feasting on Asphalt" - New Motorcycle TV Program on Food Network

Alton Brown’s cross-country search for the nation’s best road food in Georgia, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, California and more.

Looks interesting. Get ur TiVos set up!!!

Link

Jacques
Dallas, TX USA
'05 K1200LT - '02 Suzuki V-Strom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by vstromboli
Alton Brown’s cross-country search for the nation’s best road food in Georgia, Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, California and more.

Looks interesting. Get ur TiVos set up!!!

Link
My wife told me about that one, we are watching for it now. Looks like he is riding an RT.
Also looks like he had an encounter with gravel! Wonder how he is finishing the series with a broken collarbone! At least that is what the "Gravel Jello" clip leads one to believe.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 51 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 11:46 am

I think it starts on July 29th.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 51 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 3:27 pm

Thumbs up Feasting on Asphalt

Feasting on Asphalt on Food Network

JULY 29, 2006 9PM/8C

Should be a good show.
post #5 of 51 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 7:51 pm

I just logged on to create a post about my favorite FoodTV host and his new show . . . and whatta ya know?! Figures you would beat me to it Jacques!

Earlier this year, a local near the Cherohala Skyway was telling me about a guy from FoodTV and his entourage being at the Bistro, and taping a show. He didn't know who it was though. Knowing that Alton rides Beemers, I was hoping that it was him. Several months later, I find out my guess was correct. The big bummer is that I missed meeting my favorite TV host on my favorite road. MAN, that would've been cool to ride with him!
post #6 of 51 Old Jul 15th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Brett Salmon and I were at the Joyce Kilmer turnoff at the eastern end of the Cherohala Skyway during STC II and the Feasting on Asphalt riders and crew rode up. The told us a little about the show and said they had filmed some folks on scooters that were staying at Deals Gap motel who were doing some cooking in their motel rooms.
See Joe, you should have been riding with us that day.
Except my LT broke down 5 minutes later as we headed to the Gap.

Doug Roorda
Mid TN
99 K1200LT
03 Ducati M800S-sold
02 F650GS-Dakar
03 DRZ400S
KJ4EER

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 51 Old Jul 17th, 2006, 5:58 am

Hey Doug, if Joe would have been with us he would have just slowed us down!

As far as the Food Network guys, I have pics of their bikes and support vehicle! Too bad the pics are on the disposable.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #8 of 51 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 1:12 pm
Bouncer

Okay, I've now forced myself through two of these episodes, and I think this show ABSOLUTELY SUCKS ASS!!!

I normally like Alton's programs, but this show just sucks beyond all belief. Maybe I'll have to to go watch Snakes on a Plane with Samuel L Jackson just to get this bad experience out of my head.

No wonder the BMW logo is blacked out.

This guy and his crew makes the Fort Worth Cheese Tray Group look like a gang of hardened Iron Butters.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #9 of 51 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Okay, I've now forced myself through two of these episodes, and I think this show ABSOLUTELY SUCKS ASS!!!

I normally like Alton's programs, but this show just sucks beyond all belief. Maybe I'll have to to go watch Snakes on a Plane with Samuel L Jackson just to get this bad experience out of my head.

No wonder the BMW logo is blacked out.

This guy and his crew makes the Fort Worth Cheese Tray Group look like a gang of hardened Iron Butters.
I'd never seen the guy, nor his programs, before, so guess I haven't missed nuttin'. I caught a leetle bit of the second show, cuz Cheryl thought it wuz gonna be a cookin' show - I left the room and heard the channel change. Usually hard to form an opinion on such a leetle portion of a show, butt that one wuz eazy!
post #10 of 51 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 1:53 pm

Ditto!

Quote:
Jeff, I can't agree with you more! I love 'Good Eats' . . . but this 'Feasting With Asphalt' show better get a whole lot better and quick if I'm going to keep watching it.
post #11 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 8:09 am

Well, I like it! PFFFFFFT (or however you write a rassssberry sound)
post #12 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 9:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rixchard
Well, I like it! PFFFFFFT (or however you write a rassssberry sound)
I agree, Richard, good for you. I read Jeff’s “sucks ass” review yesterday, and it’s hard for me to imagine we’re discussing the same show.

Brown’s regular show, Good Eats, takes what would otherwise be just another boring cooking show, and makes it entertaining, and informative, with facts, and other useful information on that show’s topic. Now he’s on the road on bikes -- BMWs no less (okay, and a Triumph). He find factoids about roadside eateries (not big franchise establishments), and tidbits about their history, that I, at least, find interesting. I find myself checking maps, thinking: I’d like to follow the same route someday on a Feasting on Asphalt tour. Look at many of the topics we discuss on this very board, they involve rides to eat.

And another thing, Brown and his crew ride in ATGATT on decent machines presenting a positive image to what is probably an audience of mostly non-riding viewers. I’ll tell you what "sucks ass" big time, is all that knuckle dragging, butt jewelry riding, poser bullcrap that passes for “motorcycling” over on Speed. Oh, wait - Speed has a new show now. What’s the theme of this new one? How long can some squid dipstick hold a stoppie. And Brown’s show sucks ass? My only complaint with Feasting on Asphalt is that it is only four episodes long.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
post #13 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:00 am

I don't think his show was supposed to be a 'Motorcycle' show. Looks like he found a way to write off a bunch of equipment and take a little vacation with some friends and get someone else to pay for it. Personally I like it. I can't say some of the places he has picked to stop would be somewhere I would want to go - but then I ride with Jim -and - if you ride with Jim you need to bring a well stocked medical (lower GI) kit if you let him pick where to eat.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #14 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:13 am
Bouncer

Alton's show Good Eats is a great program, but between his mindless drivvel and questionable production capability, this particular program sucks the big one. BOR-R-R-R-R-ING!!! Boring to a level that gives excitement to watching grass grow or paint dry. Having a problem going to sleep at night? Tivo this baby and play it at 10pm and you'll be sawing logs in 10 minutes.

This show needs someone who can adlib and do some improvasation. Alton just comes across as uncomfortable and unprepared -- very unlike his other show. Also, the show seems to be ALL ABOUT ALTON -- you'd think they might occasionally include one of the other members of his merry band (aside from getting a wide angle shot with the crew giving a toothy grin). Hell, I almost found myself wishing that the swarm of bees chased his ass down and stung the hell out of him. At least that would have introduced some excitement into this dull and anemic program.

Good Eats is a professional quality program. Feasting on Asphalt is like watching a public-access cable TV show put together by idiots.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #15 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:21 am

Talking Jeff's my hero!

Quote:
Good Eats is a professional quality program. Feasting on Asphalt is like watching a public-access cable TV show put together by idiots.
Dude! I'm letting you take the lead on this one. I just need to sit back and agree. You're killing me though. Glad I wasn't drinking coffee while reading the bees comment!

Maybe it's just a GT thang Jeff. 'Feasting on Asphalt' just may be better suited for the LT and RT crowd!
post #16 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:36 am

Question So what were you expecting???

Quote:
ABSOLUTELY SUCKS ASS!!! ... this show just sucks beyond all belief. ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
this 'Feasting With Asphalt' show better get a whole lot better and quick if I'm going to keep watching it.
I'm curious as to what you all were expecting to see? Besides of course it not sucking ass.

It falls within my expectations of an Alton Brown excursion and I find the show very entertaining. A good balance of road food history and how some of the famous players and roads have influenced our roadside landscape. There could be more local interviews and more involvement of his crew. Alton is no Huell Howser (may be a local PBS reference, excellent interviewer of folks) as far as interviewing goes, but he does a respectable job. I wasn't expecting a "biker" or "motorcyclist" centric show so I'm not disappointed there.

I liked the Col Saunders history along with the Ray Kroc story. The sliced pork shoulder steaks were fascinating as I am an avid fan of BBQ. This is a big deviation from standard fare, so great to see it highlighted.

Anything more specific than "this sucks?" (edit - I see you answered this while I was typing ...)

Dan
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue

; Nolan 103 Helmet w/Bluetooth;
;
;
and
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Secures gear/luggage);
; Droid X (Replaces
and factory radio);
;
;
;
;
;
;
(Not installed);
(Currently unistalled),
; Clymer Manual; BMW Service DVD

Last edited by dglenn1; Aug 7th, 2006 at 10:39 am. Reason: Slow on the Submit button.
post #17 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglenn1
I'm curious as to what you all were expecting to see?
I guess it's hard for me to put into words. Did you ever take a bike for a ride and just didn't like it, but couldn't put the reasons into words? Well that's what I'm feeling about 'Feasting on Asphalt'. I LOVE Alton Brown. I think his real show is AWESOME! I like him on Iron Chef, and on a variety of other shows that he has appeared. But FoA is just leaving me flat . . . or dare I say "bored"? And his interview skills are terrible, IMO.

My favorite part so far has been when he and 'the big guy' ate a bisquit whilst being mounted on their rides of choice. Alton on the Beemer, and the big guy on the zero-radius mower! Now that was entertaining. Other than that...not many bright spots. Oh! Watching Alton choke down 2 bites of a pig's foot wasn't bad either.
post #18 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:45 am

I agree that the show could be a bit better produced and delivered, but I'm enjoying the show in the end because I get to hear about food and places I've never been to. He does provide some interesting history, and most of the places he's stopping to eat would be right up my alley on a wandering roam of the country (I'm hoping to find some similar places on my cross country trek to Seattle from CCR). I actually added a day ride to the routes I posted for CCR to check out two of the places in the 1st episode; The Biscuit Place in Washington and Shirley's Soul Food in Toccoa. The loop to hit both of these is a little over 200 miles, and I was intrigued enough by the people who own/run them and the food they're offering that I will probably go check them out.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #19 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:51 am
Lifetime Supporter

Fwiw

My wife's a big fan of the Food TV Network, so I catch glimpses of the various shows frequently... and have found myself sitting down to watch some of them with her. Can be educational, informative, and even interesting at times.

I saw the promos for Feasting on Asphalt so I knew what to expect. It is as advertised (IMO), and FWIW I have enjoyed both episodes. I think where Alton is at his best -- in this series -- is in the unscripted/adlib'd portions (I'm thinking here of how took 2 bites of the pickled pig's foot, quickly tossed it in the trash and then said "Let's ride!" or something like that; had to LOL at that. >

It's not a show about bikes or BMWs; that's just the "stage" (maybe the hook) they used for this show. I'd like to see lots more of them on bikes but that's not the premise of the show.

Harmless Food TV Network fluff, IMO. Boring to some viewers? That's OK. That's what the remote is for.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #20 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I actually added a day ride to the routes I posted for CCR to check out two of the places in the 1st episode; The Biscuit Place in Washington and Shirley's Soul Food in Toccoa. The loop to hit both of these is a little over 200 miles, and I was intrigued enough by the people who own/run them and the food they're offering that I will probably go check them out.
I thought Tom's routes had several of the places in there too...yes? I will be checking out several of those places as well . . . so I guess the show is providing me with SOMETHING.
post #21 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:55 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
I thought Tom's routes had several of the places in there too...yes? I will be checking out several of those places as well . . . so I guess the show is providing me with SOMETHING.
Don't even let us catch you actually going to some of these places, Joe. We'll start calling you part of the "LT and RT crowd". Wouldn't wanna do that...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #22 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Don't even let us catch you actually going to some of these places, Joe. We'll start calling you part of the "LT and RT crowd". Wouldn't wanna do that...
Not to worry Howard...you won't "catch me" anywhere.
post #23 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 11:52 am

I will have to ask my sister and brother-in-law about the soul food place because they live in Toccoa, Ga.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #24 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 2:26 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I tried to watch it Saturday and his diatribe on eating Kudzu sent me outside to play in the traffic!
Tell me about it! He warns people about herbacides (since Kudzu is a pest plant and most states chase it down with all kinds of nasty herbacides) and then puts a bunch of it in his mouth!!! Duh!

-
post #25 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 4:06 pm

Quote:
Tom's routes cover A LOT of ground and there may be more that touch his road selections. I know our routes overlap on Toccoa where Shirley's Soul Food is but his don't go down to the Biscuit Place. The other locations featured on the show in GA and SC were a long ways away from Chateau Elan. But it's the south, there's good food tim be found almost everywhere!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #26 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 5:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
I agree, Richard, good for you. I read Jeff’s “sucks ass” review yesterday, and it’s hard for me to imagine we’re discussing the same show.

Brown’s regular show, Good Eats, takes what would otherwise be just another boring cooking show, and makes it entertaining, and informative, with facts, and other useful information on that show’s topic. Now he’s on the road on bikes -- BMWs no less (okay, and a Triumph). He find factoids about roadside eateries (not big franchise establishments), and tidbits about their history, that I, at least, find interesting. I find myself checking maps, thinking: I’d like to follow the same route someday on a Feasting on Asphalt tour. Look at many of the topics we discuss on this very board, they involve rides to eat.

And another thing, Brown and his crew ride in ATGATT on decent machines presenting a positive image to what is probably an audience of mostly non-riding viewers. I’ll tell you what "sucks ass" big time, is all that knuckle dragging, butt jewelry riding, poser bullcrap that passes for “motorcycling” over on Speed. Oh, wait - Speed has a new show now. What’s the theme of this new one? How long can some squid dipstick hold a stoppie. And Brown’s show sucks ass? My only complaint with Feasting on Asphalt is that it is only four episodes long.
I agree with you completely! I like the show, and don't see it as all that different from his "Good Eats" show, he is traveling around finding strange out of the norm places to eat, and giving us some background and facts about the places and the stranger foods. Doing it on BMWs, wearing full gear, is nothing but positive.

I don't have a clue what Jeff wanted. A motorcycle show? It is a FOOD show, with motorcycles as a means of conveyence between points of interest. If it had been advertised, or in any way led one to believe this was a show about motorcycles, then yes, it would be disappointing.

His other show is a little strange in some ways compared to other cooking/food shows, but little facts he throws in are not heard so much on the "purer" cooking shows.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #27 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 5:56 pm

FoA

Thoroughly enjoying the show.Spent almost 30 years in the rest. business.Love the off beat places he finds.Opened a pub in cashiers,NC bout 10 years ago,fun to see his stop there.Can't believe he missed the Dillard House in Dillard,Ga.One of the best places I've ever eaten.Family style,all home made and they just keep it coming.Course I haven't been that way in a couple years,maybe its not open.Hope to check it out at CCR,War Women road is close also.
post #28 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 6:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
...and don't see it as all that different from his "Good Eats" show...
Wow! You lost me there...completely!

I did find it interesting that Alton would mention that he hated the delamination issue with the Bridgestones, while enjoying the high-mileage and wet-surface traction that the Metzelers offered!
post #29 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRich
Thoroughly enjoying the show.Spent almost 30 years in the rest. business.Love the off beat places he finds.Opened a pub in cashiers,NC bout 10 years ago,fun to see his stop there.Can't believe he missed the Dillard House in Dillard,Ga.One of the best places I've ever eaten.Family style,all home made and they just keep it coming.Course I haven't been that way in a couple years,maybe its not open.Hope to check it out at CCR,War Women road is close also.
Rich, the Dillard House in Dillard, GA (far northeast corner of GA) is still there. Lunch will set you back about $17.95 each - all you can eat, served family style, and delicious. I'd have to starve myself for a week before I could do it again.

- Bob

Cowboy Bob Menton

Greenville SC USA
'07 K1200GT, '83 R80S (nee '83 R80RT)
'86 Honda CH-250 scooter (original owner)
"You can never escape the FOG (Fast Old Guys)"
post #30 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:05 pm
Bouncer

Like I said, Alton on Good Eats is really great. This show just is abysmal. I think it has a lot to do with Alton being unprepared for each destination. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who can ad lib or do improvazation on camera. The production value is pretty bad, considering he has a complete production team with him, it feels like they have taken the public-access channel approach to production values.

Also, this seems to show a very dark side of Alton -- the "it's all about me" side of Alton. I would think with a great crew with him (especially the other motorcyclists), there might be more of the interaction or "reality" to this program than just Alton and his chasing of the bees or eating of herbacide coated kudzu. And when you take a bite out of a pigs foot or fried brain sandwich and it sucks, say so. Don't become the culianry equivalent on an apologist.

Good Eats is a great show, and had Alton stuck to the forumla that worked and did "Good Eats on a Bike", it would have been great. "Feasting on Asphalt" really has been a total letdown. At least the Food Network's choice of celebrity Geico commercials with Bert Baccurat, Little Richard, and Charo have been marginally entertaining.

-
post #31 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:07 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
Tom's routes cover A LOT of ground and there may be more that touch his road selections. I know our routes overlap on Toccoa where Shirley's Soul Food is but his don't go down to the Biscuit Place. The other locations featured on the show in GA and SC were a long ways away from Chateau Elan. But it's the south, there's good food tim be found almost everywhere!
Okay, I'll give the show one thing. I want a biscuit from that place in GA.

I guess I'll just have to watch the show so I can watch Little Richard in those Geico commericals sing "Mashed Potatoes, ayeeeeeeeeeeee"

-
post #32 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:34 pm
Bouncer

Okay, in an effort to try and find something redeeming in the latest episode, I watched it again.

There is a scene where he yells at what appears to be a harley blasting with a loud roar as it goes by. Alton yells out, "Get a muffler!" That was pretty funny. I still think he's missed the boat by not including more of his motorcycling crew.

BTW, I did figure out why the BMW logos are blacked out. One of Alton's philosophies (which I have a great deal of respect for) is to keep his programs brand neutral. Even when he has a cooking show, he makes sure all the labels are turned away from the camera. I guess this applies to BMW motorcycles as well.

BTW, here's where Alton describes his bike and how it is fitted: http://www.altonbrown.com/adventure/.../motogear.html

-
post #33 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:55 pm

Quote:
BTW, I did figure out why the BMW logos are blacked out. One of Alton's philosophies (which I have a great deal of respect for) is to keep his programs brand neutral. Even when he has a cooking show, he makes sure all the labels are turned away from the camera. I guess this applies to BMW motorcycles as well.
So you saw the 'Behind the Scenes' special too, huh?
post #34 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 7:58 pm

Fortunately for a lot of us...DVRs and TiVo to the rescue! What should be an hour show, really only turns out to be a 40-minute waste of time. Times that by 4, and we're only talking about a 160-minute commitment. And who knows? Maybe the show will actually get better as he heads west. Doubt it though . . .
post #35 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:36 pm

Quote:
---------------------- At least the Food Network's choice of celebrity Geico commercials with Bert Baccurat, Little Richard, and Charo have been marginally entertaining.
HUH? The Burt Burt Bacharach commercial is one of the absolute worst I have ever seen. I cannot believe he has allowed himself to stoop to such an embarrasing level. Must have completely run out of money.

We have totally different tastes. I like the Feasting on Asphalt show, never expected it to have the production capability he has on the sound stage with a FULL production crew. It is a zip through the country on motorcycles for God's sake! I HATE the Burt Bacharach commercial worse than any I know of. I turn the channel so I don't have to see an icon trash himself.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN

Last edited by dshealey; Aug 7th, 2006 at 10:46 pm.
post #36 of 51 Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:38 pm

Quote:
Okay, in an effort to try and find something redeeming in the latest episode, I watched it again.
----------------------
BTW, I did figure out why the BMW logos are blacked out. One of Alton's philosophies (which I have a great deal of respect for) is to keep his programs brand neutral. Even when he has a cooking show, he makes sure all the labels are turned away from the camera. I guess this applies to BMW motorcycles as well.----------------l
Yes, he even took great pains to turn the Nehi Orange soda bottle so the label was not seen. Just said it was an old famous brand that is hard to find now.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #37 of 51 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 12:40 am

Quote:
Okay, I'll give the show one thing. I want a biscuit from that place in GA.

I guess I'll just have to watch the show so I can watch Little Richard in those Geico commericals sing "Mashed Potatoes, ayeeeeeeeeeeee"
Yeah, the Geico commercials are good. They're about the only ones I'll stop my Tivo for.

As for the Biscuits, pick a morning (other than Thursday, Panoz tour) )and I'm there!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

post #38 of 51 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:33 am

Quote:
Yeah, the Geico commercials are good. They're about the only ones I'll stop my Tivo for.

As for the Biscuits, pick a morning (other than Thursday, Panoz tour) )and I'm there!
We must get a different version of the commercials here in the south because the ones I saw were awful - and a bit sad in a way.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #39 of 51 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 9:55 am

Yeah, I'm not sure what is going on with Burt Bacharach (sp?) but it can't be good.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders
post #40 of 51 Old Aug 8th, 2006, 10:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alindsay
Yeah, I'm not sure what is going on with Burt Bacharach (sp?) but it can't be good.
I dunno. I like it when a celeb can poke fun at himself. I think he also made a cameo appearance in one of the Austin Powers movies.

Kind of like Bob Hope "playing through" in Spies Like Us.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #41 of 51 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 9:29 am
Bouncer

Forced myself to watch episode 3. Is this the same program as episodes 1 and 2???? Like night and day.

This one was actually interesting and entertaining. It's amazing what happens when you actually go back to your "Good Eats" roots, and include the rest of your production crew.

-
post #42 of 51 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 9:31 am

Quote:
Forced myself to watch episode 3. Is this the same program as episodes 1 and 2???? Like night and day.

This one was actually interesting and entertaining. It's amazing what happens when you actually go back to your "Good Eats" roots, and include the rest of your production crew.
I'll watch it after breakfast and comment. Now ya got my hopes up Jeff! IT BETTER BE GOOD!
post #43 of 51 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 7:03 pm
Bouncer

Quote:
I'll watch it after breakfast and comment. Now ya got my hopes up Jeff! IT BETTER BE GOOD!
So, did you get a chance to watch it?

I thought it was pretty good. Definitely the best of the 3 episodes so far. Orders of magnitude better than the previous 2.

-
post #44 of 51 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 7:15 pm

Quote:
So, did you get a chance to watch it?

I thought it was pretty good. Definitely the best of the 3 episodes so far. Orders of magnitude better than the previous 2.
Watched it...

Episode 1 - Sucked
Episode 2 - Was good. (I guess I was just in the wrong mood when I viewed it the first time.)
Episode 3 - WAY better. Like you said, he's returning to his roots.
post #45 of 51 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:46 pm
Lifetime Supporter

So, where are the reruns?...or is that a result of the food? No apology for the pun.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #46 of 51 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 12:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
So, where are the reruns?...or is that a result of the food? No apology for the pun.
Next Saturday, FoodTV is playing all 4 episodes back to back. I believe they start at 6pm Eastern.
post #47 of 51 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 7:22 am
Lifetime Supporter

Thanks, Joe!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #48 of 51 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 8:06 am

I have watched it from the beginning.... I like it. Kind of like Monty Python, it grows on you. The next thing you know you are quoting lines from it. My son the other day yelled "get a muffler". It took a while for him to get his chemestry back while on the road but, I think he has got it. I however liked the first episode also. That is probably because I am from GA and these were places I could go in few hours. One thing I can do is salute him. I would love to get paid to ride around find in cool places to eat. The guy ordered every pie in a place and tried them all.... SWEET.
post #49 of 51 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 9:20 am

It's no secret that I have a pretty lax schedule compared to others in life. My friends always remind that "it's a good gig, IF you can get it". But I think Alton topped me 100 fold with this show. It's a great gig, and he got it!!!
post #50 of 51 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 5:13 pm

I think Joe's orignial post sucked ass, but posts 87965 and 87966 were much better!

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in