Looking for travel info North GA - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 9:42 am Thread Starter

Looking for travel info North GA

Hey All, heading to North GA next week, little town of Blue Ridge and the lake there. Anyone been there? Any "can't miss" stops or sights recommended?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 9:57 am

The Loop

Do the Loop, what is the loop?, here we go

Come down from Blue Ridge on 60 South, to Suches.

Hang out for a while at T.W.O, eat one of their great burgers, or hot dogs if you are hot dog guy. T.W.O is an awsome hang out specially on Saturday Morning.

From TWO Hit 180 (Wolf Pen Gap Road) Head East, 180 starts at the Gaz Station diagnoly from T.W.O. You can't miss it. 180 will than Hit 129, make a RIGHT TURN and Head Up the Mountain there is a nice Hiker shop on top with a nice place to stop. Than go down the Mountain on 129 to Turners Corner, which also has a pretty darn good Hamburger and Chicken Sandwich.

From Turners Corner go West on 19 heading back Towards Dahlonega until you reach the intercection with 60, (Stone Pile in the center of the intercection) where you will merge to your right into 60 again and head back to where you came from Suches and T.W.O.

Hence the loop....... LOL.

Off course from there you can head back up North on 60 to Blue Ridge.

There are many other great rides in this area and I am sure you will bombarded with post about other places to ride, but the ride I just told is pretty darn good.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:31 pm
kip

a good ride

if you want to venture a little further out.....find your way to Franklin, NC and take 28 east over to Highlands.....thats as nice a ride as you will find in the southeast....

shouldnt take u too long to get from Blue Ridge to Franklin

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 12:37 pm
kip

another nice ride

not sure of the road numbers....but...
find your way over to Helen, Ga.....(when you are going south on 129 just stay on it until you get to 75 (i think) and turn left on it and it will take you to Helen)
going north out of Helen take a right on the road that goes through Unicoi Campground.....
stay on that road until it dead ends and then take a right (I think thats 197)
follow that road until you get to Clarkesville....
about halfway between the road from Unicoi and Clarkesville there is an old mill called Mark of the Potter ....stop there and go out on the back porch and see the huge trout they have in the river there....

most of that ride is along the Soque river and is really nice....

there's a really cool old country store over there too called Batesville General Store.....

Helen has alot of touristry type of shops and a couple of good places to eat if you are interested in any of that....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 1:22 pm Thread Starter

All sounds great, thanks for the tips. This will be our first trip on the LT. Should be much better than the sportbike with all the gear bungied on the back seat.
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 14th, 2006, 2:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kip
if you want to venture a little further out.....find your way to Franklin, NC and take 28 east over to Highlands.....thats as nice a ride as you will find in the southeast....

shouldnt take u too long to get from Blue Ridge to Franklin
Good ride but short. The real ride starts at about Walnut Creek Rd IIRC after leaving Franklin toward Highlands. HW 28 south from Highlands is OK but watch out when entering GA - poor road work. Turn onto Warwoman road off 28 - it will take you over to Clayton - not a bad ride with very little traffic.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 9:57 am

This link can help pick a route.
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
enjoy.
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:08 am

Find your way to T.W.O. in Suches, GA. Make sure you have lunch there! While you're there, you can chat with the locals on great rides in that area. Or, stop across the street at Dale's and buy the $3 breakfast buffet. There is plenty of information on local rides there. If you've never ridden the Cherohala Skyway...do NOT miss that. It blows the 'Tail of the Dragon' away, IMHO. But, Deal's Gap (aka 'The Dragon') needs to be ridden at least once in every rider's lifetime, if'n you haven't done it before.

If you have a Garmin GPS, I could send you several local routes. Let me know.
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:24 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Find your way to T.W.O. in Suches, GA. Make sure you have lunch there! While you're there, you can chat with the locals on great rides in that area. Or, stop across the street at Dale's and buy the $3 breakfast buffet. There is plenty of information on local rides there. If you've never ridden the Cherohala Skyway...do NOT miss that. It blows the 'Tail of the Dragon' away, IMHO. But, Deal's Gap (aka 'The Dragon') needs to be ridden at least once in every rider's lifetime, if'n you haven't done it before.

If you have a Garmin GPS, I could send you several local routes. Let me know.

Hey Hey Hey Hey, you trying to give away our local quite roads , THANKS BUD! then they will be on that dang mad maps booklet and every lunatic crotch rocket rider and HD slower than a turtle will be ruining our great riding!

Tom (shaking his head wondering why he takes Joe on these roads )

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #10 of 10 Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:26 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce_N
Hey All, heading to North GA next week, little town of Blue Ridge and the lake there. Anyone been there? Any "can't miss" stops or sights recommended?
if your in BR you will be close, if ya have e-mail send me a PM or yer tele PM maybe we can take a ride in.

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in