BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Police type motorcycle training for civilians

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Zotter 
#1 ·
Has anyone here ever taken any rider training patterned on that provided to motor officers? As a civilian that is, not as a police officer.

If so, where did you take the training and was it worth doing?

#2 ·
Did a weekend with Keith Code in CA. $$$ but worth EVERY penny. After 40 years on scooters I went in thinking that I knew what I was doing - I came out very humble.

Not too sure if "police" training would be all that great - certainly would be a worthwhile experience and probably a great layman's article for Cycle World.

...but in the REAL world... I dunno, unless you do a lot of funerals and traffic control. ;)

#5 ·
LTsaddledance said:
Has anyone here ever taken any rider training patterned on that provided to motor officers? As a civilian that is, not as a police officer.

If so, where did you take the training and was it worth doing?
The pre-requisite for this course has got to be a meeting at the local donut shop to talk about it,
don't ya think? :D

#7 ·
motorman587 said:
It is you, Turbodog.
LOL busted. Yeah I asked the same question there to see what responses I'd get. Not everyone is on both lists.

#8 ·
Zotter said:
Got a bro-in-law that's a motor officer in Colorado.

After talk'n to him 'bout how he's been trained - not so sure I'd wanna take his course.

Says they won't even ALLOW a BMW in the course, cuz they "can't hack it"

May well just be his HD-ism speaking, I dunno....
Tell your brother in law he can come watch, in a week I am teaching a police motorcycle course. 80 hours worth and not only do the BMW's "hack it" they do better then the HD. HD riders are allways adjusting their clutches because of the abuse, but the great RTP goes through the course with ease. I have found that HD lovers, when then test a BMW, they will ride it like a HD, and abuse it and when the clutch goes they blame it on the MC, when it is rider error. In fact, last night our city has voted to buy new motorcycle. This is the first time that a contact has been award to the same motorcycle that I can think in the department, since I have been an officer, to the same motorcycle. Sorry for the hijack of this post. Again, sorry for the hijack, I was able to teach our first female motor cop and I give so much credit to the RTP. Females tried it on the KZ1000 when we had those and this month, a new rider from our unit was in police motorcycle rodeo, only been on a motor for 5 months, help us come in third in teams, because how well he did at the rodoe. Again I give credit to the RTP.

#10 ·
That's not really motorcycle training, it is a competition kinda of like the motorcycle rodeo the LEOs in the U.S. have. IIRC, there are several more stages that they go through. You have to remember it's been 34 years since I've seen all this happen. It was really :cool: and those boys can RIDE, even then. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.