Shipping a bike Cross-Country? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Sep 26th, 2014, 12:23 pm Thread Starter

Shipping a bike Cross-Country?

I promised my son if he came home from Afghanistan safe he could have my old 1997 R1100RT (since I have a nice 2012!). He has held up his end of the bargain (unfortunately he was injured in an IED blast but can ride) and so now I need to hold up mine. I'm in NJ with the bike and he's in LA for his new job since he just got out. He's been riding for years and a condition is that he re-take the advanced rider training course (MSF or recommendations?).

The primary question here is what recommendations to you have to ship from northern NJ to LA? I'm trying to get it done inexpensively due to my finances lately. The bike isn't registered insured so I can't ride it out, and don't have any time off remaining anyway. He just started a job so he can't come and get it. Thanks for any help in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Sep 26th, 2014, 1:00 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Shipping a bike Cross-Country?

I've used Keyboard Motorcycle shipping with great results.
You also try U-Ship

Stevie Shreeve
post #3 of 8 Old Sep 26th, 2014, 3:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver4242 View Post
I promised my son if he came home from Afghanistan safe he could have my old 1997 R1100RT (since I have a nice 2012!). He has held up his end of the bargain (unfortunately he was injured in an IED blast but can ride) and so now I need to hold up mine. I'm in NJ with the bike and he's in LA for his new job since he just got out. He's been riding for years and a condition is that he re-take the advanced rider training course (MSF or recommendations?).

The primary question here is what recommendations to you have to ship from northern NJ to LA? I'm trying to get it done inexpensively due to my finances lately. The bike isn't registered insured so I can't ride it out, and don't have any time off remaining anyway. He just started a job so he can't come and get it. Thanks for any help in advance!
I can't help with the shipping advice, but sure am happy you have your son back home in the good ol' US of A – you must be very proud of him and it's great that you're giving him that bike

2014 R1200RT

post #4 of 8 Old Sep 26th, 2014, 5:05 pm

+1 on the glad to have him home.
post #5 of 8 Old Sep 30th, 2014, 1:18 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the tips and well wishes for my son. I tried uShip and looked around at others, I think the best bet is Federal with the AMA discount, they look pretty viable and experienced with mcy transport and it's in an enclosed container, not outside on a trailer.
post #6 of 8 Old Oct 1st, 2014, 10:28 pm

I have had good results with Haul Bikes coast to coast. Enclosed transport all the way.
post #7 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 5:28 am

UShip would be the least expensive: Motorcycle Shipping | Get Quotes from Shippers & Transporters

If you decide to use Uship carefully check the carriers' reviews and make sure that it is shipped enclosed so that when it arrives in LA it is not covered with dirt.
post #8 of 8 Old Oct 2nd, 2014, 12:04 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Ride it out to see him. Welcome him home. Give him our thanks for his sacrifice, and fly home.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in