I know I know I am crazy - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 12:16 pm Thread Starter

I know I know I am crazy

But I figure I ask anyway.

I have a line on a brand new Kawasaki Nomad 1600 Touring Cruiser, that I somewhat was considering trading my LT on it. Keep if for a couple of years than switch over the the next Generation LT if it ever comes. I will keep my K1200S off course.

Have not been doing the long long distance rides that I expected with the wife and thought the Nomad would be a different change for a couple of riding seasons.

Anyone here has had, has now or have any info on that bike. I am not in any way comparing it to the LT, there are no comparisons with the LT. But just normal information in case I decided on it.

Going to head over the Kawi dealer this Saturday hopefully they have one there I can take it for a ride with the wife

thanks.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 2:52 pm

Only riding one will give you your answer.

I already know your wife's answer

I had a cruiser before my LT and just couldn't get comfortable with the seating position. I had an FZ1 before my GS, same thing.

My body demands an upright seating position. Torso or legs too far forward and I am uncomfortable after 70 miles and must stop for a long rest after 150-200.

With the upright position, I can go 150-200 miles before becoming uncomfortable, and can go all day with just stops long enough to fill up and have a smoke.

Ride one and do what your heart tells you !!

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 2:57 pm

i had a cruiser before buying my LT and i loved it. a valkyrie tourer. loved shining the chrome; loved riding it, both short- and long-distances. also, a big v-twin is a very relaxing bike. big torque without having to dance on the gearshift lever.

a cruiser will never match an LT for long distances, of course, but then again it's more fun riding a cruiser around town and for short hops. just put a helmet on and go.

ride it first, then decide. and by all means, don't let the brand snobs make up your mind for ya.

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 10th, 2006, 12:42 pm Thread Starter

Riding was the answer James

You were right sir, Kawie dealer let me out on a Nomad, it was a 2006 that someone actually traded it already, had only 1000 miles on it. The previous owner went to the new 2000cc Tourer.

Again is very hard to compare it to the LT but here are mine and my wife's impressions

1- Engine is super smooth and quiet, I was expecting the rumble and rattle of a single crankpin cruiser engine, but in the contrary super super smooth. Even during hard acceleration you hear that initial growl than it smooths out.

2- The bars are a bit of reach, I only rode it for about 30 minutes but think that anything over an hour would hurt.

3- Feet position is actually better than on my LT, I like the floor board and the fact that my feet are ahead on me.

4- Wife: She liked the backrest been a little further back, she said she had a lot more room to move between us. She liked the nice large floor boards. Which I know I can install a pair on my LT. She did complain about the fact that she was getting a lot more air on her, I think the Windshield on the Nomad is OK to protect the rider, but the passenger gets hit pretty hard.

Overrall very very nice Touring Cruiser, the good things about it would NOT make me want to buy it, BUT the bad things about it would not keep me from buying it either as they were very minor things.....

Test Drove the new R1200RT (I used to have an R1150RT) and I loved it. Wife did too. Everything I used to complain about my 1150 has been addressed with the 1200 making it now a much more competitive package.

Darcy Bastos
2007 FJR1300
2007 Ducati GT1000 Sport Classic
Atlanta, GA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in