Earplugs:not a new thing but a GOOD thing - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:30 am Thread Starter

Earplugs:not a new thing but a GOOD thing

I have read not all but most of the articles on earplugs and what a difference it can make. I left yesterday on a four hour ride and most of the time on the interstate. I got in behind some yankee boys, Oh I'm sorry some gentlemen from the north. We were traveling away over the posted limit and when I arrived home. Boy, my head didn't hurt and was not as fatigued as I have in the past. The plugs now have become a must in my equipment bag. Enjoy the ride because tomorrow is not promised.

Michael Dale
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 12:13 pm

Earplugs make long rides enjoyable, it is amazing how much better I feel at the end of a long ride.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #3 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 12:21 pm

I rode with earplugs for 45 minutes one time, and that was the longest 45 minutes of my life. I hated them!!!

Glad ya'll like em . . . but they ain't for everybody.

post #4 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 12:31 pm

Yep, earplugs of some form are a must for me on anything over 30 miles or so.

While yer at it, here's an alternative called the Windjammer that protects both your ears AND your eyes (more in this thread). Dunno 'bout you, but my eyes used to get rather dry after a ride, which made me feel tired prematurely. Not any more.
post #5 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 12:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
I rode with earplugs for 45 minutes one time, and that was the longest 45 minutes of my life. I hated them!!!

Glad ya'll like em . . . but they ain't for everybody.
We agree Joe!

I tried them exactly once, for a two hour ride. Never again.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Quote:
I wonder if molded earbuds would be good for you? Have you tried them? Since they're molded to your particular ear shape, they might not put the same pressure on your ear canal as foam plugs, which might make them more tolerable. Plus you can run your iPod through 'em.
post #7 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 12:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire
I wonder if molded earbuds would be good for you? Have you tried them? Since they're molded to your particular ear shape, they might not put the same pressure on your ear canal as foam plugs, which might make them more tolerable. Plus you can run your iPod through 'em.
I really didn't want this to turn into a debate, so I'll just respectfully say "No thanks", and be on my way.
post #8 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 2:23 pm

Quote:
I really didn't want this to turn into a debate, so I'll just respectfully say "No thanks", and be on my way.
No debate; just throwin' ideas out there.
post #9 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 3:21 pm

At the start of my cross country ride, I went from Becket MA to New Canaan CT to visit with my sister, who worked at Linders. She was the one who told me about ear plugs. They made an amazing difference.

I only need one now. I just turn off the hearing aide in my right ear.

My sister, Melissa, is now a vet in Boulder CO.

Bob
post #10 of 32 Old Jul 4th, 2006, 4:36 pm

Ear Plugs

I just started to use ear plugs due to a constant ringing in one of my ears and I don't want it to get any worse from riding. Today I ordered a reuseable sample kit with 10 different types of pugs from Rider Wearhouse. Hopefully I can find a set that will be comfortable and cut the wind noise from the helmet.
Dewman
post #11 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 2:38 am

Wouldn´t ride without them.
post #12 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 4:18 am

I hated them for years. Then tried them again after reading about how they help in high winds (they do!) and now all the time. I think the constant noice has to be processed by the brain and it is very tiring - with the earplugs the brain gets to consentrate on the important things!

"Whenever you find you are on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect" Mark Twain

post #13 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 7:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by c00k1e
I hated them for years. Then tried them again after reading about how they help in high winds (they do!) and now all the time. I think the constant noice has to be processed by the brain and it is very tiring - with the earplugs the brain gets to consentrate on the important things!
Offset solution for NOT wearing earplugs --- the hearing aide manufacturers are steadily improving their products!!
post #14 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 7:52 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Offset solution for NOT wearing earplugs --- the hearing aide manufacturers are steadily improving their products!!

On da udder hand....bubble gum does a fair job, too!!!
post #15 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 9:11 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewman
Today I ordered a reuseable sample kit with 10 different types of pugs from Rider Wearhouse. Hopefully I can find a set that will be comfortable and cut the wind noise from the helmet.
Dewman
Hearos from Wally store do good. I do not like them either but have started using them and they DO cut down on the wind noise.

"BONES" <///><

2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #16 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 9:24 am

I have some hearing loss from the first 15 years of riding without ear plugs (I can no longer discriminate sounds in a loud environment and I have constant ringing). I started wearing foam earplugs in the late eighties. I found earplugs reduced my fatigue factor and have the added benefit of better sound from the stereo. The plugs allow me to hear the music at a reasonable volume while dampening the wind/engine/road/tupperware noise.

I buy EAR disposable foam plugs by the carton and allways carry about a dozen pair with me for my use as well as anyone who wants to try them.

I find that most of the experienced riders I run with use them no matter what distance they are traveling. That's my 2 cents worth.

Bob Chapman
Virginia
2000 K12LT
1978 CB750A (Automatic Cafe Racer Ratbike)
post #17 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:14 am

Ever seen a GP or F1 driver without them ?.
post #18 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 11:11 am

If you're goal is to:

1. Protect your hearing
2. Be able to listen to the intercom,radio,sat. rad., gps, radar detector and cell phone without cranking the volume to the max.
3. Avoid the fatigue associated with a high-noise environment.
4. Eliminate the need for hard-to-install helmet speakers.
5. Obtain maximum comfort with earplugs.

You might want to consider custom molded earplug speakers. They are more expensive, at about $175, by the time you get the molds but are so much better than anything else, we just consider it the cost of "doing business".

Bob Weis at the Earplug Company does a good job, at a fair price.
http://www.earplugco.com No affiliation

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #19 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 1:57 pm

I can vouch for Bob as well.
Great product and service at a good price
post #20 of 32 Old Jul 5th, 2006, 10:33 pm
Super Moderator

Cool To ear or not to ear

I have made several posts on this subject in the past - as an update:

Qualifications:
Hi my name is Dan and I have Tinnitus

How did I contract Tinnitus:
Don't really know - guess a lifetime of noises

Riding for:
for over 30 years

What do ear plugs do for me:
Upside: When proper seal is achieved easier to concentrate, focused riding, less fatiguing, RPM's go up by at least 1,000, riding style changes with less dependency on noise and greater reliance on feel - with maybe an exception on a straight line down the highway.

Downside: When tinnitus is active they make it worse, as it does not allow for other noises to cancel or drown out the whine, some style earplugs hurt after a while and others are no problem - personal taste!!

Rating (1 to 10): 5 to 7

What do monitors (earplugs with transducers (speakers)) do for me:
Upside: Same as earplugs but I now have the choice of listening in great detail to my pillion, radio, iPod and auto answer on my cell phone. Music is fantastic (stereo - without wind or rumbling), audio books along with podcasts are quiet - you can hear all the words. Position of the windshield matters less. You can turn them off and they are just like ear plugs.

Downside: Music could cause drowsiness but so can other things - turn them off. Requires setting up equipment just right as these can be very sensitive and pick up electronic noises generated by the bike. Requires careful cleaning of your ears and the monitors. Being careful not to letting the dog chew on them . . .

Rating (1 to 10): 9 to 10.

Attached are is a picture of the two pair I use. The clear ones are musician grade and very sensitive (higher quality), the blue ones are for motor sports. Note you can use monitors on planes, trains and in many other settings as well. If any one has an iPod and walks around in public listening via ear plugs you may know the feeling I am referring about - isolation but a new sense of being connected. They are not for every one and for every occasion but as a daily commuter they are the first thing I put on - well not the first thing!!

Last caution: monitors or earplugs are only as good as the seal they achieve in your ear while remaining comfortable - its an individual thing! I can wear the musician grade - hard plastic for 10 or more hours with out issue. The blue ones are softer and made slight larger and they can be worn for a few hours and need to take them out and give my ears a rest.

My 3 cents . . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1273.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	177.5 KB
ID:	4911  

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"

Last edited by dfinazzo; Jul 5th, 2006 at 10:55 pm.
post #21 of 32 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 1:44 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawg
On da udder hand....bubble gum does a fair job, too!!!
And it can be reused six or seven times. A couple of quick chews and you're good as new.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #22 of 32 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 10:29 am

Dan,
What make of Musician grade monitors do you use ?.
Simon
post #23 of 32 Old Jul 6th, 2006, 8:14 pm
Super Moderator

Cool I bought mine here . . .

Purchased the musician grade monitors at Sturgis 2003 in a vendors booth who was selling:

http://www.earinc.com/p2-music.php

I paid $250 - looks like they upgraded as the new ones are quite pricey. I will tell you the first pair of transducers failed due to sweat they eventually just faded. I called them up 1 1/2 years later they replaced the transducers at no cost - good service. The sensitivity of the replacements is almost to great - with the LT radio at total off only three clicks up very loud.

I then bought the competition sports monitors as a back up paid $175. These are a little muffled compared to the musician grade but the quality and fit is just fine!!

One other point if you go to monitors you can set your radio up to increase in volume as your speed increases and this really shows you the value of your radio working with the monitors!!

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #24 of 32 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 7:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob204bc
I buy EAR disposable foam plugs by the carton. I find that most of the experienced riders I run with use them no matter what distance they are traveling. That's my 2 cents worth.
I bought a case (carton?) (200 pairs) of Aearo EAR plugs - the yellow foam plugs. I wear them every time I ride . . . . no matter what the distance. For me, earplugs cut down on wind noise and make the ride much more enjoyable.

Three years ago I was called back to active duty and housed in Bachelor Officer Quarters at Fort Stewart. I was 57 at the time and did not adjust well to “dorm living”. I slept with my earplugs in for two years! You get used to them.
post #25 of 32 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 8:01 am

Dan,
More than pricey !.
I bought 2 sets of what you would call the sport monitors from Bob Weis a few years ago.
I am very happy with the sound and the exterior noise blocking they provide.
I plug my iPod into the LT intercom system and the monitors into the outlet, so I take advantage of the volume increase/reduction system as you suggest.
Simon
post #26 of 32 Old Jul 7th, 2006, 8:56 am

I use the foam plugs. Slice them in half the long way and use a half in each ear. Half a plug lets just enough noise in to cut the isolation feeling, but still blocks enough to do the job. Works for me.
post #27 of 32 Old Jul 13th, 2006, 2:38 pm

Hello read your message about ear plugs, I never drive without them. Drove for 10 years
without them and during an medical check it seemed, my hearing in some frequencies
was deteriorating. Since then I use them for every trip, you would be amazed during
long ride how the noise fatiques you. Have to mention I'm driving a bike for my job aswel
as for hobby. Noise is mean it wears you out. Maybe in Europe w're driving faster and
the faster you drive the more noise you get.
I recomend ear plugs for every driver so you won't get deaf in the end like the
"loud pipes, saves lives" guys
Greetings Adriaan
The Netherlands.
post #28 of 32 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 1:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwilshire

Is it a good idea to have your ear "stopped up" and then music piped in through the earbud? I'm thinking it would not be safe. Could you hear what's going on around you for danger signs with your ears plugged and tunes playing?

Jamie Kiel
2002 K1200LT Silver
2005 Harley Davidson Springer Classic
post #29 of 32 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 2:08 pm

Like police sirens ?.
post #30 of 32 Old Sep 13th, 2006, 3:07 pm

Used to ....

Prior to my new Nolan full face helmet, I used to use and felt the need for the foam disposable earplugs just about all of the time. I really could hear my environment better with them. My 3/4 helmet did not do much for blocking the road noise. As soon as I switched to the new helmet, the earplugs did not seem to be necessary. I still use them all the time skydiving because of the noise, but find that they don't seem to be required on the bike.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #31 of 32 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 5:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by simoncharles
Dan,
What make of Musician grade monitors do you use ?.
Simon
I got the Musician ear plugs with the 25db filter and love them. Use them for work also, because of the siren and wind noise. Never leave home without them, me $.02 worth.
post #32 of 32 Old Sep 15th, 2006, 5:43 am

Custom Earplugs

In support of earplugs:
Everyone I know who really values their hearing (musicians, sound engineers, etc.) wears earplugs while riding.

I like listening to music while riding and my set up has evolved from helmet speakers (Autocom) to helmet speakers with earplugs (you can get earplugs that reduce noise at various decible levels so you can still hear horns, sirens, etc.).

I then switched to off the shelf ear buds, and then higher audio quality sound isolating ear buds like muscians use.

I had pretty good luck with some Shure ER6 earbuds I got from RiderWearhouse (the Aerostitch folks). A variety of interchangable ear pieces allowed finding the most comfortable fit. These worked pretty well but comfort was influenced by how I inserted the thing. Sometimes I got it just right and was comfortable for hours, other times I had to stop and re-insert one to make it comfortable. Before that I had the Koss earbuds, waste of money; uncomfortable and poor sound isolation.
http://www.aerostich.com/catalog/US/...p-1-c-337.html

Then I had Marilyn make me a custom set at CCR this year. These are great, very comfortable, good sound isolation, the they insert the right way everytime. I can still hear ambient sounds but wind noise and road fatigue is greatly reduced.
http://www.plugup.com/

I don't know about the kits for homemade custom ear plugs, I suspect a professional job like Marilyn does will give a better result.

I do think that any long distance rider who has only tried earplugs once or twice and then dismissed them simply hasn't gotten them right. I guess the exception would be someone who isn't intereted in listening to any audio and has an Exceptionally quiet helmet. (I have had a lot of helmets, never had one as quiet as I would like).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in