HOT weather riding... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 2:05 pm Thread Starter

HOT weather riding...

I moved to Texas from Chicago in January and am now beginning to enjoy (?) constant 95+degree days that go on and on and on and on...

I missed out on the ztechnik windshield order because I wasn't part of the website in time, so for now I keep the OEM windshield.

Question to the experts here, I've been riding (naturally) with the windshield in the "fully down" position most of the time the last couple weeks, switched to a shoei X-11 helmet for better ventillation, and am wondering about something. BELOW the mirrors are rotatable wind deflectors for cold weather use that direct airflow away from the rider's body. ABOVE the mirrors and next to but just behind the windscreen are non-adjustable small wind deflectors.

Has anyone ever removed those to increase warm-weather airflow to the rider? If so, is it a one- or two-screw procedure? And does it make a difference?

Thanks in advance.

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 3:35 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Hi Pete and welcome to the Republic of Texas. I don't know about removing the little wings on top of the instrument group but good air flow behind the wind screen will only go so far. My other ride is a @004 T100 with no screen and I can get overheated in no time in the Houston Summers if I wear a normal vented jacket. I bought a Vanson Vent Max 3 for my wife and myself which helps a bunch in keeping cool. That and a Camel Back with ice and water under the vent max will make it all worth while. And, look at it this way, where else can you look forward to riding in the rain?

Chuck
post #3 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 3:59 pm
Gold Supporter

Hey Pete,

Welcome to Texas...did you get your Red River Visa?

You don't really want to take those wings off, because they block a wrap around wind that beats you to death. Kind of like not having a shield at all. Besides more ventilation is only going to do so much. Get yourself some Under Armor Heat Gear, or a cool vest from one of the various makers. I swear by the Under Armor for our Texas Weather. The Heat Gear is great for when it's hot and the Cool Gear really keeps you warm in the winter (not that what we have here is anything like what your used to as far as winter goes).

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #4 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 4:58 pm

Smile Welcome to Texas, Howdy

Welcome

It takes a while for northerners to get use to the warm weather, but then you do get to ride year round here. I really like my cool-vest that I got at Moto-Liberty for when it gets hot in August and early September.

I second the under armour heat gear.

Let's go ride sometime. See ya around.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!

Last edited by Texas42; Jul 2nd, 2006 at 5:06 pm.
post #5 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 5:09 pm Thread Starter

thanks much

appreciate the advice...

BTW, for those who choked on the price of the Joe Rocket Sahara cooling vests, Helmet Harbor pointed me in the direction of Fieldsheer's version, which is identical except comes in black (why the hell would you do that?) and a semi-reflective silver (the one I have coming to me next week) that is fully half the price, and can be found on Ebay (the model name is the Ice Berg vest, if you order from Helmet Harbor, ask for Jeff, he's great, if you EBay it, type in "fieldsheer vest" and you'll see 'em for $34.99).

I did see another option on Ebay that looked a lot like the first generation "bullet proof" kevlar vests I wore as a cop that had pockets throughout in which you would insert those blue ice freezer packs you'd use for picnic coolers, but between the notion of making my upper body into a 450-pound freezer pop, and the mental image of "what if I had an accident, and all of the blue ice things all burst, and the road looked like a gigantic blueberry had been squished?"--I decided against it.

Hey...if anyone got in on the ztechnik windshield deal and was smart enough to order an extra, or decided after the fact they don't like it, drop me a line...

Until then, I'm gonna' try soaking an entire alpinestars ridingsuit in water and then hanging it in my upright freezer for the commute to work...

...kidding, but if I could figure that one out, I might be the next millionnaire.

Happy trails... (does that make me sound more Texan? I'm getting tired of being made fun of for being a Yankee down here when there's so many more things they could make fun of me for..."

P

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #6 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 6:44 pm

Smile Howdy

No one is making fun of you, I don't think as a southerner I could ever get use to riding a motorcycle in cold weather, I turn on the grip heaters when it's anything below 60. 6 months more and you should be a naturalized Texan, and you'll quit telling everyone you just moved here, and asking how we cope with the heat.

Stop by the Blue Goose on Tuesday sometime, or I usually go to the Two Wheeled Texans (www.twtex.com) Meet & Greet on Thursdays. I'll buy you a drink.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #7 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 8:10 pm

I am from Alabama, the land of 90% humidity and 95+ degree days already this summer............

Mesh jacket and pants.

I took a standard BMW shield and cut the top down to 19 inches--5 inches off the top. Then I cut 1.5 inches off each side vertically. Tried to keep the overall shape, just make it smaller. Used a jig saw with a 36 " or so tooth to the inch metal cutting blade. Sanded the finished product. I now have air to the mid chest at full down and a top approx 1 inch below eye level in full up. Somewhere in between these 2 extremes by wife and I usually ride with reasonable air, decent quality sound through the helmet speakers for both stereo and intercom.

Those measurments may not work for you. I am 6' tall and have a 31 inch inseam. I also ride with a 1.5 inch sheepskin wraped gel pad which lets cooling air under my butt and raises me up some. I ride in the low seat position.

Hope these ideas help. Hint-- the narrower windscreen is more important that the height as it allows air from each side to get into your jacket sleaves and shoulder vents. Good luck. If you try to customize a shield. Take your time and plan to cut it down a little at a time. You can always cut more. You cannot put any back! Don't bother to sand until you are satisfied with the ride quality. Use masking tape on both sides of shield where you will cut. It provides a place to mark you lines and it will help reduce splintering.

Tom

Tom

2003 R1150RT, Black Beauty--this is one sexy bike!
1999 R1100GSA, Does everything well, what else can one say?
1992 K75SA, If this engine had been 4-valve instead of 2, it would be the smoothest BMW ever built!
1978 R100S, my first and favorite BMW.
1976 R75/6, A 30 year old gentlemen I still love to take out for a Sunday ride.
post #8 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 8:29 pm

I've got a real nice BMW OEM Euro shield for sale over in classifieds at a great price.

1 year old. No scratches, swirls or fogging. No distortion. There are a several extremely small surface nicks less than 1mm in size that you really have to look for. A 9 out of 10.

New is $217.00, sell for $100.00 plus shipping. E-mail me at
[email protected] Paypal, certified check, wire transfer.

You'll get LOTS more airflow - the only downside to it is above 85mph the turbulence is more noticeable.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #9 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 10:27 pm

Talking hot weather riding - - -Solution ???

Has anyone tried one of these?
http://www.cetsolar.com/dctornadorfan.htm
post #10 of 16 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 11:48 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
No one is making fun of you, I don't think as a southerner I could ever get use to riding a motorcycle in cold weather, I turn on the grip heaters when it's anything below 60. 6 months more and you should be a naturalized Texan, and you'll quit telling everyone you just moved here, and asking how we cope with the heat.

Stop by the Blue Goose on Tuesday sometime, or I usually go to the Two Wheeled Texans (www.twtex.com) Meet & Greet on Thursdays. I'll buy you a drink.
I must be a yankee for sure, I get to warm when temps go above 60!!! A perfect riding day to me is 40-60 and sunny!

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #11 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 9:12 am

"We've come a long way baby!" The days of dunking my leather jacket in a tire bubble tank at service stations are looong gone... First, there are practically no "service stations".. but I digress..

Keeping your cool is possbile.. There are "cool suits" made for "hostile environments"...

http://www.hightechscience.org/orlan_cooling_suit.htm

or... http://www.fastcooling.com/Test/pers...a223pmc_24.htm

http://www.sdms.co.uk/Search/PDFs/Se125.PDF

http://www.saferacer.com/prosecosusy.html

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #12 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 11:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
I must be a yankee for sure, I get to warm when temps go above 60!!! A perfect riding day to me is 40-60 and sunny!
Well, maybe 40-70.

2002 R1150GS Adventure (current)
2000 K1200RS
1999 K1200LT (current)
1998 R1100RT
1985 Suzuki GS1150E
1985 Kawasaki Ninja 900
1983 Honda V65
1979 Yamaha XS1100
1977 Honda CB750
1963 Harley Duo Glide
1965 Honda 305
1962 Honda Cub 50
1960 Cushman scooter

Was I being naughty...officer?
post #13 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 11:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
"We've come a long way baby!" The days of dunking my leather jacket in a tire bubble tank at service stations are looong gone... First, there are practically no "service stations".. but I digress..

Keeping your cool is possbile.. There are "cool suits" made for "hostile environments"...

http://www.hightechscience.org/orlan_cooling_suit.htm

or... http://www.fastcooling.com/Test/pers...a223pmc_24.htm

http://www.sdms.co.uk/Search/PDFs/Se125.PDF

http://www.saferacer.com/prosecosusy.html
Wait until you check out what we're building for a tenth of the cost.... here's a sneak preview:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ribbed Mesh 002.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	4842  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #14 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 12:28 pm

ok.. whutizit? A new fabric design to transport fluid or just air channels?

NOTE: I am NOT compensated for posting these messages.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #15 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 3:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
ok.. whutizit? A new fabric design to transport fluid or just air channels?

NOTE: I am NOT compensated for posting these messages.
Both.

But don't tell ANYONE. It is top secret. Available 2007.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #16 of 16 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 3:49 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
You can still get a Z-Technik windshield; you just missed out on the discounted group buy. But it is a bit larger/wider than stock, and is designed to channel more air away from the rider.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in