"Why We Ride" Documentary - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 11:04 am Thread Starter

"Why We Ride" Documentary

Does this look awesome or what? You can stream this from Amazon video-- I definitely plan on watching this ASAP. Looks very well done. Has anybody actually seen this yet? Here's a link to the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxGNI4jpzL4

2014 R1200RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 11:32 am

Re: "Why We Ride" Documentary

Well, I'm just going to throw in my two cents. Some people won't like what I say here ... then again ... what's new?

The older I get and the longer I ride, the more tired I get of this notion that all of us riders are "family". That we're all 'ONE'. It's just simply not true. Sure it makes for a great movie. It's all touchy feely and all ... just not what I have found living life, riding for almost 30 years, and riding around the country.

I also getting tired of the statement, "There's just nothing else like it.". I think it's arrogant, pompous, and again just simply not true. Riding a motorcycle is what SOME of us like to do. But that doesn't make it any more incredible than someone else's love of painting, or playing a guitar, or gardening. I'm tired of the sensationalism of it, I suppose.

Let's just ride our bikes, and stop trying to make us out to be more than we are. Just people ... who happen to love riding an over-grown bicycle with a motor attached to it.

- Joe
post #3 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 11:45 am

A friend gave me the DVD and I enjoyed it very much. I thought it was well done, and had a couple of my riding buddies over to see it and they got a kick out of it too.

I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who enjoys riding.

Ride Safe,

Bob
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"We were leaving confusion and nonsense behind, performing this one noble function of our time..to move"
Dean Moriarty - On The Road

'12 R1200RT

post #4 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 4:01 pm

I remember watching this a few months ago and was not really impressed. Nice film but should have been called, Why We Race. The premise was that if you ride a motorcycle, you most have had a race background or love racing....bull. Just did not appeal to me.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
post #5 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 5:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travman View Post
I remember watching this a few months ago and was not really impressed. Nice film but should have been called, Why We Race. The premise was that if you ride a motorcycle, you most have had a race background or love racing....bull. Just did not appeal to me.
And this validates my post. We are not all "one". We do not all feel the same about every aspect of riding. I LOVE Moto GP, but I do not expect every rider to appreciate it.

- Joe
post #6 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 7:00 pm
cws

Garage

Just saw it last week in a local theatre here.. screening organised by the Motorcycle Council of NSW, which is a leading non-govt support body for anything motorcycle related.

From an "outsider's" POV... I knew it would be very much American-centric, and it was overly so... there was some lip-service to Europeans and a touch on the Moto-GP... but it was overly about the grand American motorcycle dream....

What I did find fascinating was the history they delved into of Indian and HD, although if you took it all for granted then no other country in the world come up with the idea of a motorised bicycle (maybe they didn't, I have no idea...)
My grandfather owned an Indian with sidecar in the 30's in Oz, guess that's what gave me a passing interest in it all.
Worth watching in the overall context of motorcycle history... mostly a well done documentary.

Only laughs came from that comedian rider... (the only black guy in the motorcycle village, it seems?).... that was a bit odd...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #7 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 7:12 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I have the DVD & thought it was well done for a Documentary. What I likes best is I know a few of the people in it & because of them I ride today. They got me into riding & racing (in my younger days).

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Aug 16th, 2014 at 6:50 am.
post #8 of 12 Old Aug 10th, 2014, 11:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post
I also getting tired of the statement, "There's just nothing else like it.". I think it's arrogant, pompous, and again just simply not true.
Interesting perspective Joe, hadn't really thought about it that way. I've got no problem with "There's just nothing else like it.". I think its a fair statement as I don't read it to mean There's just nothing as good as it...

But I get your point. It does amaze me how diverse the LT (or any bike for that matter) ownership pool is. And yet all those different folks some how found their way to the exact same bike, same model, and same color.

I guess my only other comment is that with motorcycling there is a shared risk that those outside of the community don't appreciate.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #9 of 12 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 9:56 am

Clearly passion levels vary when it comes to riding. Because you don't agree with "there's nothing else like it" doesn't invalidate the integrity of the passion from another.

I personally haven't found anything else that fills the need for 2 wheels in my 46 years of riding.

Chris

Ain't nothin like a friend who can tell you you're just pissin in the wind - Neil Young
2015 BMW R1200RT
1973 BMW R75/5
Yard Art - 1968 Sachs 90 / 1968 Hodaka Ace 90
SCBMWRC / MOA / Airhead Beemer Club

post #10 of 12 Old Aug 11th, 2014, 11:26 am

whether it's "the world's fastest Indian," "on any given sunday" or this one, any motorcycle movie is gonna be worth my time (well, except Easy Rider, that movie sucks)

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #11 of 12 Old Aug 16th, 2014, 6:42 am

I guess I agree with that it is one big community, when we travel on a motorcycle we always make instant connections in places we have never been. When we travel on ferries the car drivers seem to all remain in their family groups where the riders are all one group having a great time. On the Newfoundand crossing, which left at midnight for a 15 hour crossing, we took over the back corner of the bar and then the same for breakfast. Last we took another 14 hour ferry ride and basically the same kind of bond.

Gerhard
post #12 of 12 Old Aug 18th, 2014, 2:36 pm

My experience riding with other riders, they either are way slower than you, or drive like a bat out of hades. I like riding with other people if they can keep up with doing 80-90. I firmly believe you are safer staying ahead of most of the traffic than getting passed by it. Riding with harleys, foggetaboutit, maybe they slow down to smell the flowers, but most harley riders putz at 10 mph below the speed limit. Went riding in AZ with a guy that owned a Ducati (with my ZX-11), figured he might be into some spirited riding. I was deeply disappointed, I could not get this guy to go above 65. Found out later he had numerous car related DWI's, so mebbe he and the fuzz were not good friends, and he was being cautious.

I do find that other people riding bikes are friendlier towards you, and at least you have something to talk about. Unlike the day we were out calling coyotes, were dressed in camo, and had 8 dead ones dripping blood down the sides of my Pathfinder when we stopped at the Dairy Queen near Picacho Peak, and this woman had a total connuption fit when she saw it. Closest I ever came to doing the opposite sex bodily harm!

Current rides:
2003 BMW 1200 LT (bought in 2006)

Past rides:
97 Kawasaki ZX11(bought new in 1997, sadly sold in September 2014)
89 Honda Hurricane (sold)
88 Honda Hurricane (traded on an SUV)
86 Kawasaki 1000R (stolen but recovered)
84 Honda 750F (traded on 1000R)
81 Suzuki GSX1100 (sold)
78 Suzuki GS750 (traded on GSX1100)
74 Yamaha RD50 (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in