Space Shuttle Launch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

Space Shuttle Launch

Can anyone give me some information on the Titusville FL area. I want to run down Saturday and watch the shuttle launch. I want to find a beach I can go out on, set up my lawn chair, drink a cold one and watch. I am looking for a limited amount of hassle. Just one of those things I want to do.

Jim in GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 3:26 pm

My cousin lives in Cocoa and works for NASA. I visited him during Daytona bike week and went to all of the beaches. Cocoa beach, right near Ron Jon's is open to the public, has ample parking, allows beer on the beach and is pretty close to the launch site. Merritt Island is closer to the launch site, but I'm gonna guess they restrict traffic during a launch. Not sure. The launch pads are way out at the end of the Cape Canaveral near the shoreline. Check the NASA web site, I'm sure they have areas available to view from.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 4:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl160
Can anyone give me some information on the Titusville FL area. I want to run down Saturday and watch the shuttle launch. I want to find a beach I can go out on, set up my lawn chair, drink a cold one and watch. I am looking for a limited amount of hassle. Just one of those things I want to do.

95 to 44 East into New Smynra Beach, to A1A to Turtle mound rd South, all the way to the end into Canaveral National Seashore. Not sure if they allow alcohol, but about the best place to watch from.. South of the final parking area,, is usually very hassle free, use to be clothing optional it was so hassle free, not sure if it still is or not, but definitly a good place to watch from..

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 5:15 pm

Well Jim, it all depends how fast you want to get out of there after the launch (or if it scrubs).

Just south of Port Canaveral is Jetty Park, probably the closest beach to the launch pad. It will be crowded and traffic will be very backed up trying to leave. Anywhere you hit the beach south of the port will have decent viewing, but nightmare traffic getting back out to I-95.

The better beach bet may be north of the Pad. After lift off, they will be heading northeast so you would have a better angle. You can cross over to the beach in New Smyrna, and follow A1A as far south as you can. I've never been up that way at launch time, so I can't tell you about parking and exit traffic. Also,I'm not sure about alcohol on the beach. If it's a can in a koolie you would probably blend right in though.

Your closest viewing site would be in North Titusville where the Max Brewer Causeway (Cr-402) crosses the Indian River. This area is ~8 miles from the Pad. The view is as good as anything the public can get, and if you head north up US-1 afterwards the traffic will breakup much quicker than the southern beaches.

I'll check on scoring a launch pass at work tomorrow, it's a long shot, but that would open up some other options.

Dave Hoogerland

'08 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
'02 K1200LTC "The Silver Snoopy" (gone but not forgotten)
'08 Can-Am Spyder "???"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 5:38 pm

Jim, I'll second Al's route, I-95 south to SR 44 east to A1A then go south into the Canaveral Seashore till the road ends at the last parking area. Traffic should not be a problem at all either arriving or leaving. And if you really want to make it a memorable event.... yes you can watch from this location in the buff if you care to. -Chuck-
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 8:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieg
Jim, I'll second Al's route, I-95 south to SR 44 east to A1A then go south into the Canaveral Seashore till the road ends at the last parking area. Traffic should not be a problem at all either arriving or leaving. And if you really want to make it a memorable event.... yes you can watch from this location in the buff if you care to. -Chuck-

Is there a nude beach around there????? Yikes!
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 4:15 pm

OK,, the shuttle is on a 24 hour delay,, anyone watching from the nude beach is going to need LOTS of sunscreen!!!!
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 2nd, 2006, 5:23 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the information. I did go to the Canaveral Park to watch from and way to many people for the nude beach, but the weather there could not have been more perfect. I enjoyed people watching and the area. Wish the launch would have gone, but I understand weather delays. Thanks again for the advice and for anyone who would want to watch that is the place. Located BJs Fish Camp just up from the park. Great sea food reasonable price.

Ride safe and maybe the next launch.

Jim in GA

post #9 of 9 Old Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbl160
Thanks for all the information. I did go to the Canaveral Park to watch from and way to many people for the nude beach, but the weather there could not have been more perfect. I enjoyed people watching and the area. Wish the launch would have gone, but I understand weather delays. Thanks again for the advice and for anyone who would want to watch that is the place. Located BJs Fish Camp just up from the park. Great sea food reasonable price.

Ride safe and maybe the next launch.

They reschedualed for July 4th now.. Another day I have to work so will not get to go. I've lived here in Florida for 9 years now and not one launch has been on a day I've had off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in