Rain Gear idea - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 12:58 pm Thread Starter

Rain Gear idea

I just finished 300 miles in the rain and want to pass on a tip. I am not sure if I read it on this board or another one.

In the summer I like to ride with one of the mesh/armor jackets. The issue is the normal summer rain storms. Someone suggested that by removing the armor from a Darien it can be folded into a smaller package, then stowed, and used as an over liner for the armor/mesh jackets. I know some individuals have issues with Darienís, but mine has always been dry and other than a small leak around the neck (caused by user error) is a good wet weather jacket. I had an opportunity to use it this week over my Venting Machine. Five hours in the rain from torrential to drizzle from FL to GA and I remained dry and comfortable.

I have used the liner provided by other mesh/armor jackets and they always seemed to leak or were so restrictive that my body heat made them clammy. With the Darien over my jacket, instead of inside it there was room for airflow and I never felt the clammy feeling I had experienced before. I also believe the Darien will provide a nice over jacket for the early morning commute, and then fold it up and wear my Venting Machine for the return ride home.

This is just an idea to expand the range of your wardrobe and save a few dollars on other items.

Jim in GA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 2:45 pm

this past sunday riding home from harrisburg i started to wear my joe rocket liner on the outside of my jacket and i stayed very dry
post #3 of 21 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 9:48 pm

Yup. the inner linings of summer jackets are okay for "misting" / light drizzle. When it RAINS, I just use a TourMaster rainsuit.

Perspiration is a defeater of comfort.

Growing up in Louisiana I learned when riding my HD I would get caught in the rain so I'd stop and pull out a large garbage bag, poke a hole for my head and arms and stay fairly dry.. of course the arms got wet, but I could keep most of the torso dry.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 10:32 pm

In warm weather I don't even bother with rain gear. Just ride, it feels good.
post #5 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 5:40 am

rainsuit

I just finished a trip to thye northwest and prior to the trip I bought some Frogg Toggs for $50. They work. Over 6 hours in the rain and my feet, hands and face were soaked but my body was dry as a bone. They are breathable and my wife HATES rubber rain suits. Hell half the time she left the pants on because they added a little wrmth and she did not mind them at all.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #6 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 6:47 am

Where did you find Frog Toggs? I tried finding a website and couldn't.

Thanks

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #7 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 7:03 am

Frogg Toggs

I bought mine from Miami Cycle Works near Cincinnati. The owner Oscar is a real nice guy and I am sure he can hook you up. They have a web site:
www.miamicycleworks.com
They are going to be moving to a new physical location this next week but will be operational by July 5th. They are still open this week.

Marc Pillis- MSF Rider Coach
Union, Kentucky
2005 LT
2004 R1150GS Adventure
2013 DR650
post #8 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 7:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiderRay
Where did you find Frog Toggs? I tried finding a website and couldn't.

Thanks
Ray - a lot of the sporting goods stores now carry Frogg Toggs. I bought a set at an Academy Store in San Antonio, and they had a nice selection of sizes and various colors. One suggestion - either buy a size larger than you would normally wear so that it fits over your regular riding gear, or do a 'try on' in the store with your gear on. HTH.
post #9 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 7:28 am

Frogg Toggs

Frogg Toggs have a website: www.froggtoggs.com

Just what I'm looking for! I have a older Aerostich Roadcrafter that doesn't shed water like it did when new. The Angler Frogg Toggs looks like the ticket. The Bib pants should keep you dry!
post #10 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 8:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkchaser1200
Frogg Toggs have a website: www.froggtoggs.com

Just what I'm looking for! I have a older Aerostich Roadcrafter that doesn't shed water like it did when new. The Angler Frogg Toggs looks like the ticket. The Bib pants should keep you dry!
The Frogg Toggs will keep you dry. The bib pants are hard to put on in a hurry with your boots on. Frogg Toggs (the paper looking kind) do not hold up very well in windy conditions - as in low wind protection bike riding. The jackets hood can be used under your helmet and completely stop all rain down the neck or will keep you warm on a cold day. Also - the material can be ripped - as in catching the center stand lever with your pant leg.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #11 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 11:21 am

Concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnowell
The Frogg Toggs will keep you dry. The bib pants are hard to put on in a hurry with your boots on. Frogg Toggs (the paper looking kind) do not hold up very well in windy conditions - as in low wind protection bike riding. The jackets hood can be used under your helmet and completely stop all rain down the neck or will keep you warm on a cold day. Also - the material can be ripped - as in catching the center stand lever with your pant leg.
I've been using Frogg Toggs the past couple of months. I've worn that at highway speeds for hours and I stay dry. I did buy them a size larger, but should have two sizes larger -- depends on what you're putting them over, of course. The pants are several inches too short for me; I find it hard to believe that the XL pants are as short as they are -- just beware.

They also "pill" easily from contact/abrasion on the bike, and they will melt if they contact a hot surface, of course. But for $50 and up (depending on model) they work very well. I would have bought the bib-style pants if the dealer had them. Next time I'll buy directly from them.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 21 Old Jun 28th, 2006, 9:26 pm

I use Gore-Tex over my vented ride wear. It really works well and keeps me very dry. Living the great North Wet you need to have Gore-Tex It really is amazing stuff. Needless to say it comes in all sizes and lengths.
David Shealy, Jeff Mitchell and I all had that setup on a little ride we did. It worked well for all of us.
YMMV...but I doubt it
post #13 of 21 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:57 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Coni, what specific brand/manufacturer GoreTex suit are you using?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 21 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 3:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Coni, what specific brand/manufacturer GoreTex suit are you using?
Ken,

My Jacket is Eddie Bauer but it is over 15 years old. I bought a black one and a tan one at that time. I have recently been into Eddie Bauer looking for a replacement and I could not find one. I know that there are many manufactured NOW, that make them, so that is on my (never ending) list of things to do.

The pants I purchased at REI this year. I will no doubt go to REI to find a replacement jacket. The jacket works just fine, it is just getting a little worn. I like black cause it does not show the dirt. (Tan, not so good)

Another thing I like about Gore-Tex is you can wear it out golfing, boating or just running errands. Needless to say it never pills up and you save a bundle by not spraying Scotchguard on everything, not to mention the toxic fumes.

HTH
post #15 of 21 Old Jun 29th, 2006, 8:23 pm

Frogg Toggs are great on the LT but a word of caution. My buddies wear them on Harleys and Honda Shadows with very HOT pipes. The Frogg Toggs do melt on the right leg where they touch the pipes. Frogg Togg makes a heat resistant protector patch for the inside leg, don't forget to ask for one if you are riding something with HOT pipes.

I use the First Gear gortex... great stuff.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #16 of 21 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 3:21 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Thanks, Coni.

I'm still hoping for a waterproof riding suit that has enough well-placed vents that actually work in the heat, but so far, no luck. Why can't someone make a true four-season jacket & pants? I can bring a heated liner and cool vest for those extremes, but I hate fussing with rain gear, and I do find myself in 90-100 degrees fairly often. They're getting closer, but just not there yet. Guess I'll keep looking.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #17 of 21 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 6:58 am

So.. Chann.. Was that one of those "leaf" bags or just a trash bag? Did they make Hefty bags back then? :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Yup. the inner linings of summer jackets are okay for "misting" / light drizzle. When it RAINS, I just use a TourMaster rainsuit.

Growing up in Louisiana I learned when riding my HD I would get caught in the rain so I'd stop and pull out a large garbage bag, poke a hole for my head and arms and stay fairly dry.. of course the arms got wet, but I could keep most of the torso dry.

Thanks,
Bill Hoch
K1200LT Lt. Yellow
post #18 of 21 Old Jun 30th, 2006, 4:21 pm

When they started making them I started using them. You also could use "plastic wrap". In fact back in them dark ages of the 70's.. yup... http://inventors.about.com/library/i...GarbageBag.htm

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Last edited by cfell; Jun 30th, 2006 at 4:56 pm.
post #19 of 21 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 12:41 am

Quote:

In AZ we call that a Mexican rain coat!

Rob Asay
99 Canyon Red Lt
"The True Red Dragon"
1982 Honda "Silver Wing"
1986 Gold Wing Interstate "Blue Babe"
1978 Gold Wing
1976 Kawasaki 900
1967 Honda 305 Scrambler
post #20 of 21 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 6:05 am

Quote:
...Growing up in Louisiana I learned when riding my HD I would get caught in the rain so I'd stop and pull out a large garbage bag, poke a hole for my head and arms and stay fairly dry.. of course the arms got wet, but I could keep most of the torso dry.
I saw this being done just a few days ago by a guy on a cruiser. I couldn't believe what I was seeing... first time for me to see that. But I guess "any port in a storm"...

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #21 of 21 Old Jul 1st, 2006, 9:15 am

Yup, Howard..in 2004 I was enroute from Austin to California when we hit a cold front. The rain was very cool. We stopped for fuel and up pulls a group of HD riders. Seems the T-shirts weren't handling the 50 degrees temp on their return ride from Arizona.

Hypothermia was setting in. Suggested they wrap up in the "free" advertising news papers and cover with plastic bags and put the wet clothes on top of that. They were amazed how well it worked...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in