Rain Riding Part II - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

Rain Riding Part II

Was chatting with a friend and fellow riding buddy who has an 02 Gold Wing. He says when it rains (light to moderate) he usually drives down the highway about 75 and never gets wet or worries about hydo-plaining. I usually slow down when the rain starts for that reason. I have ridden a few times in the rain and the bike handles great. Anyone have any stories/advice on this?

Thanks a bunch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 5:49 pm

With all due respect to your friend, he is full of it. I had a 04 Goldwing, as soon as it starts to drizzle, you feel it. I've owned an 01 Venture, 04 Goldwing, & now my 05 LT. As far as rain protection goes the LT is first, the Venture believe it or not is a close second, & the Wing not even close. Next time you are riding with him & run into rain challenge him to not put a rain suit on & see who gets wetter. I already know the answer.
post #3 of 15 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 8:05 pm

Yup.. it's basic physics... you can hydroplane..

When it begins to rain, if possible, I pull over for a while.. let the cars run up and down on the road a while to remove some of the oil stuff on the road. This will remove some of the slick from the road as the oil is emulsified and rinsed off the road.. It also helps keep some of the trash off your bike and yourself.

What do you think...? Make sense?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 8:22 pm

On a related note, the July 2006 issue of the AMA magazine has a cover story on rain riding: tips & techniques, gear, etc. I'd be happy to send you a copy of it if you'd like. If you're a member you can get it online, also.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #5 of 15 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 8:52 pm

Thumbs up Rain Riding

Thought I'd chime in to the whole beehive and not just the "riders gear" portion of our website. Best rain suit? Summer heat, humidity, and wearing it between showers. Which suit would you wear? (own) (I'm gonna buy the readers choice!) Pete
post #6 of 15 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 9:00 pm

As far as protection at 75 on the LT, today my wife and I were heading west on I-40 in a solid downpour at 73 Deg. indicated temp wearing, like it or not, shorts and short sleeve shirts. Traveling at 80 mph we were waving at all the east bound riders on everything but Beemers, and we were laughing as you could see how wet their rainsuits were! As long as your moving at plus 55 mph in my experience you will stay pretty dry. In fairness, my Cavalcade kept us pretty dry also.

Hydroplaning - bottom line - stay with your comfort zone.

I have never had a hydroplaning issue on a motorcycle. Planing is a product of contact patch, therefore 4 wheelers are more likely to plane before bikes. I probably have hundreds of stories where the cages are pulling over and we just keep pounding down the road. Anytime I've hit deep enough water to plane, the bike actually slows down like it hit sand. What scares me is the light, just barely damp roads where the rain channels in the tire can't do their job. In addition turning in town with slightly damp roads makes me more nervous than 80mph down the freeway.

One more note, just to put things in perspective, racetrack conditions in the rain mirror the experience on the street, except for a little more glycol and oil on the streets. I've run on banked tracks on DOT tires in full downpours and have not had to slow down on the banking due to hydroplaning. Here your talking well over 120 mph. That's good enough to make a believer out of me. Remember, on DOT tires, not full racing rains!

YMMV

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #7 of 15 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 10:37 pm

I have read many times that you have 80% of your traction while riding in the rain. The math is simple. Slow down 20%. Of course, the worst time to ride in the rain is when the water first starts to pool. Once it has rained for 30 minutes, I don't think too much about it. I just ride.

Of course...all of this crap flies out the window if you're riding with DaveDragon and me. We usually speed up! You can't slide if you're flying 6 inches above the road!
post #8 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 4:33 pm

Cool

Cindy and I had rain almost everyday of our vacation this year and we stayed dry as long as we were moving; that is until 50 miles from Dallas, we were headed west when out of nowhere the wind started at about 40mph out of the south and the flood opened up and dumped on us, that is the only time I have ever been literally blown off of the road. We had to stop and put on our frogg-toggs (the best) and wait for the wind to slow down before we could go on. We were even on Tybee Island as the remnants of Alberto came through, and didn't get that wet.

It's not a race, so I alway slow down. Stop, let the stuff wash off the road it's better late than never.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #9 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 6:01 pm

i love riding in the rain ... so long as i have a good rainsuit. wife loves it too.

i slow down, of course, and try to avoid manhole covers and painted center stripes. the paint, in particular, is like ice when it's wet.
post #10 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 7:32 pm

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBandit
i love riding in the rain ... so long as i have a good rainsuit. wife loves it too.

i slow down, of course, and try to avoid manhole covers and painted center stripes. the paint, in particular, is like ice when it's wet.

Had our GSP instructor mention the hole brothers: Chuck, Pot and Man...

Best stay away from all of 'em all the time!!!

On a slippery-er note...have ya ever noticed the DOT puttin down some reflective bead thangys? Once had a guy drop a whole bucket on the road...and awaaaaaaaaay they went!!! Four wheels couldn't negotiate the road much LESS a single-track articulated-joint vehicle like an LT!!!
post #11 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Just did 700 miles in the rain today.

Speeds varied from 20 to 95 mph. No hydroplaning.

I did get soaked! It did seem better at speeds over 50.

I have done speeds close to 140 mph in the rain on the track with DOT tires. no hydroplaning. I think the tires are too narrow and curved to have that problem unless you are going through a deep puddle.
post #12 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 8:14 pm
Super Moderator

Cool

The contact pressure on a properly inflated relatively new tire (round bottom) on an LT is quite high and unless your are going into gully washers the LT stability will surprize you at most all speeds. With a properly draining highway devoid of tar snakes or lots of paint I ride from 60 to 80 mph and have not experienced wiggles or wandering. I make this statement running Bridgestones 020 radials - did not feel the same on Metzlers. As the stones wear however I would reduce the speed accordingly . . .

My 2 cents

Dan Finazzo

"Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted to get"
post #13 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 8:26 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlesj
As far as protection at 75 on the LT, today my wife and I
What scares me is the light, just barely damp roads where the rain channels in the tire can't do their job.
YMMV
I think that is the description of hydro-plaining.
post #14 of 15 Old Jun 26th, 2006, 9:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsidler
I think that is the description of hydro-plaining.
No, I don't think so. The coefficient of friction is reduced on wet roads. The reason for the fear is lack of traction in these cases. Hydroplaning is when the tire actually leaves the pavement and rides on a layer of water.

Some may argue that any moisture on the road creates a barrier between the tire and road. I would say that is not true until the roadway is saturated and the water begins to puddle.

John

2004 - LT - Anthracite
post #15 of 15 Old Jun 27th, 2006, 9:55 pm

Cool ...experience...

Folks, I have ridden in rain all my life as I grew up in South Louisiana... you either ride and got wet or you didn't ride.

To ride there during "grinding season" is an experience you never forget. You have many roads that "pool" the water... yup.. and you do "hydroplane".. it certainly happens less often than an automobile, but it does happen.. expecially when you are having several inches of rain per hour.

Of course this was back in the 1960's... so I must have dreamed it.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in