Why Do I Ride - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Why Do I Ride

I ride for quality, not quantity.
I ride to enjoy it, not to get some certificate that says how far, or how fast I went.
There is a one million mile difference in quality between the Los Angeles freeway, and say highway 12 and 13 from Lolo to Grangeville.
But I must use the Los Angeles freeway to get to those other areas.
Once upon a time I did abuse myself trying to run 24 hours in a day, or just to get to some other states. (I had reasons to be there).
Today, to me, it just means enjoying it all along the way, few photos, as I like to have the memory of the ride, and area, Glacier, or Yosemite in my mind.
So I stop, and just look at it. Get the feel of where I am.
About 300 miles a day is my limit. And about 60 or 70 is my maximum, or less, depending on scenery.
Unless I have some more scenic spot to get to.
Maybe I have just grown up. At least a little bit.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 8:41 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Why Do I Ride

Nicely put, David.

I've had rides like that as well, and enjoyed them immensely. Especially two-up, when there's someone to share a stunning sunset with, or explore that fun little antique store, or contemplate the bubbling brook at some random roadside rest.

But what I find is that I also enjoy cranking out the big miles as much as flower-sniffing and collecting photos. I gather sights and sounds and sceneries while in motion, and build fond memories along the way.

At those times, the ride isn't merely the means between meaningful stops - it becomes meaningful in itself. It becomes something to be treasured and enjoyed on its own, and not merely endured.

At least that's how it works for me . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 2:45 pm

Garage

Now we are talking
As long as we can appreciate riding is a unique adventure for individuals. Heck with my wife right behind me I think we are each getting a different enjoyment out of the ride. No ride is too long for me as long as my intended goal is met. Same with a short quick spin just to get away from the same o same o of everyday environment. Oh how I am missing now . . .
ride safe

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2014, 2:49 pm
Lifetime Supporter

For me, riding is therapy. Maybe riding from Austin to Atlanta on a 100 degree day doesn't sound fun to some, but I was on the bike not sitting on a plane or in an airport and I took two days on the return trip to smell the roses. Plus it was a fun test of my endurance. I'll never be like Ken, but I admire the heck out of his tenacity.
+1 on the whatever meets the goal. Two up, we stop often, browse, look, shop, whatever. A day on the bike always beats a day at work, and most other things 'cept maybe hunting and fishing.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2014, 10:41 pm

This saying is true about life...and about Why I Ride...

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2014, 10:48 pm

I do lower mileage days (about 400 - 450) once in the good stuff. However, when trucking across Kansas, Nebraska or Eastern South Dakota, I've got to get it over with and typically haul 700 - 1000 miles at 80+ mph.

2018 R1200RT Mars Red
2017 R1200GS Rallye
2014 Husky FE501
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 21st, 2014, 11:08 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammick View Post
I do lower mileage days (about 400 - 450) once in the good stuff. However, when trucking across Kansas, Nebraska or Eastern South Dakota, I've got to get it over with and typically haul 700 - 1000 miles at 80+ mph.
I can see you've never been to the bottom of the worlds largest hand dug well, nor circumvented the worlds largest ball of twine, let alone spanned the vast expanse of the longest hanging foot bridge in Kansas. Hell, I bet you've not seen the geographical center of the United States.
Yea? Me either.

post #8 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 5:39 am

I think that most of us are more simular than different. From time to time, we have to get from point A to point B and we have choices. Riding is the most enjoyable way to do it. Sometimes I just want to ride, and the bike allows me to be at one with everything around me. It's just a travel through space.... Most of the time though, it's just an errand.

I read, possibly on this forum, "Would you rather watch the movie or be in it?" I prefer to be in it! Not too keen on watching someone else have fun.... I want to be the one playing... Now I'm off to the big fish tank in Tampa, on my bike.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 11:46 am
Lifetime Supporter

Robert Maynard Pirsig (born 6 September 1928) is an American philosopher and novelist, most famous for his novel Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance in which he proposed what has become known as his Metaphysics of Quality.

"You see things vacationing on a motorcycle in a way that is completely different from any other. In a car you're always in a compartment, and because you're used to it you don't realize that through that car window everything you see is just more TV. You're a passive observer and it is all moving by you boringly in a frame."
Chap. 1

"In our highly complex organic state we advanced organisms respond to our environment with an invention of many marvelous analogues. We invent earth and heavens, trees, stones and oceans, gods, music, arts, language, philosophy, engineering, civilization and science. We call these analogues reality. And they are reality. We mesmerize our children in the name of truth into knowing that they are reality. We throw anyone who does not accept these analogues into an insane asylum. But that which causes us to invent the analogues is Quality. Quality is the continuing stimulus which our environment puts upon us to create the world in which we live. All of it. Every last bit of it."
Chap. 20

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #10 of 12 Old Jul 22nd, 2014, 10:50 pm
cwo

Why do I ride/ Just because I like it. Hours and hours of it.

I like to go on solo trips with no timeline or mileage goal per day. When the old budget starts runnin short, it's time to head back home.
I meet some of the best people in the small towns... wonder why that is?

Chris Ogle, Kansas is home

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 2:24 am

I ride because I've spent a small fortune $$$$ on moto's and can'nt stand to see them just sitting in the garage.

Seriously;

Going places, seeing the sights and meeting the folks along the way are good reasons to ride

BUT

after 55 years of riding (started at age 10) I've figured out I ride because I simply like the challenge.
I take great satisfaction in doing something that is very dangerous and that returning safely from each ride is completely under my control.

Sure there have been a few bumps and bruises along the way and some riders are not so lucky, but bathtubs are dangerous too.

I have considered at various stages of my life that I should quit while I'm ahead but never seem to get around to quitting.

Couple of my favorite motivational sayings are:

When I was younger I was afraid I'd die riding my motorcycle,
Now that I'm older I'm afraid I won't.

I spent most of my money on women and motorcycles,
The rest I wasted.

If you're not living on the edge,
You're taking up too much room.

Ride like your life depends on it and the enjoyment will follow.

Doug Holck
Lodi, Ca

I don't always ride motorcycles,
but when I do I prefer BMW's.
Ride safely my friends

3 Continents -10 Countries - 50 States

02 K1200LTe
04 1150GS Adventure
08 Suzuki DR650
CCR 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
See you 2015 in Coeur d' Alene, Idaho

BMW MOA 109760
AMA Charter Life Member 518333
International Fellowship of Motorcycling Rotarians
HDDC POSSE

post #12 of 12 Old Jul 23rd, 2014, 3:53 am

Arrow Re: Why Do I Ride

When you go for an extended ride you get to return to the child like state that nothing else matters. Everything else dies and you get to come alive. Harry Nilsson says it best in his song " Everybody's Talkin" . In his chorus he sings, " I'm going where the sun keeps shining, through the pouring rain. Going where the weather suits my cloths. Banking off the northeast wind, sailing on a summer breeze. Skippin over the ocean like a stone." It's just a big steel horse you get to go out and play on . You just gotta love it any way you can get it, be it big or little horse.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in