What does riding mean to you? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 11:33 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage
What does riding mean to you?

In another thread, the discussion shifted to the differences between riding styles. Specifically, another rider asked "How can you ride a thousand miles a day and actually enjoy or experience the places you are passing through?"

I thought that was a great question, and worthy of further discussion.

So let's see if we can get others to chime in and answer the question "What does riding mean too you?"

For some riders, the whole idea of a ride is to go and see things, using the bike as their method of transportation. Their journey is incidental to their sightseeing. That's fine, for them, but it's not me.

My ideal is simply to ride. To move through space and time on two wheels.

The destination is inconsequential. It's all about being in motion, and being in control of your own destiny while everything else just melts away behind you.

The ride is the purpose; the destination is almost irrelevant.

Their focus is "When are we gonna get there?" My focus is "Where can I go next?"

That's as simple as I can put it.

And it opens up a million possibilities, when you look at a map and realize that anything, anywhere is within reach. I can be in any state or province within a day's ride or two. That expands your world in real and visceral ways.

I once rode from Reno to Atlanta to test two competing claims about "The world's best hamburger." Of course, the hamburger was merely an excuse. It could've been in Birmingham, or DC, or Toronto, or Coeur d'Alene. It doesn't matter. What does matter is the width and breadth and diversity of the states and provinces that I rode through and experienced.

I can tell you the difference between a steady Oregon drizzle and a sudden Florida summer shower. The difference between the oven heat of Death Valley at noon and the sauna that is the southeast on a fall morning. I know the difference in smell of an Adirondack spruce, a Sierra Nevada sequoia, and a Humboldt redwood. I can compare architecture and cityscape and traffic density between N.Y., Chicago, Montreal, Boston, Dallas, Cleveland, Portland, and L.A. All the while being in motion and in control of my immediate destiny.

And all of that ignores the myriad of places I've ridden across Europe and Asia. That's a whole different chapter, or perhaps a book in itself.

Now, I'm not against a local day or weekend ride, to see some particularly interesting attraction. Or to just run out and grab a meal and catch up with friends. I even use my bike for grocery runs and all manner of local errands (You pretty much have to when you haven't owned a car for 20+ years). But that's merely utility, as opposed to Riding.

But once you expand your horizons, then you quickly find that anyplace, anywhere, any time is fair game. The possibilities are endless, and they extend well beyond your local county or state. Just pick a destination, any destination, and go.

That's what riding means to me.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 1:33 pm

Re: What does riding mean to you?

I said to each his own but now your telling me what I think and why I ride. Because I use my bike as my method to get there, how does that make the ride incidental. I enjoy the ride and then enjoy myself when I get there. It also seems that if I'm taking my time to get there it's the opposite of (when are we going to get there syndrome). You also say the destination is inconsequential but if it's to see a sunset then i guess it's not so inconsequential. If your riding a 1,000 miles a day and average 60mph that's 16+ hours riding. You said you do this 11 days running, I would say 16 hours in the seat would make someone tired and slower to respond to any road hazard making that rider a danger to others. My original question was about enjoying the places you go but I can see that's not going to get answered, You have contradicted yourself more than once as you did about the seat in the original thread and I can see this is a dead end, enjoy yourself and be safe.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King

Last edited by katnapinn; Jul 18th, 2014 at 6:13 pm.
post #3 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 2:06 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by triumphguy13 View Post
I said to each his own but now your telling me what I think and why I ride. Because I use my bike as my method to get there, how does that make the ride incidental. I enjoy the ride and then enjoy myself when I get there. It also seems that if I'm taking my time to get there it's the opposite of (when are we going to get there syndrome). You also say the destination is inconsequential but if it's to see a sunset then i guess it's not so inconsequential. If your riding a 1,000 miles a day and average 60mph that's 16+ hours riding. You said you do this 11 days running, I would say 16 hours in the seat would make someone tired and slower to respond to any road hazard making that rider a danger to others. My original question was about enjoying the places you go but I can see that's not going to get answered, You have contradicted yourself more than once as you did about the seat in the original thread and I can see this is a dead end, enjoy yourself and be safe.
My comprehension must be suffering as I see no reference of him telling you
what you think and why you ride.

post #4 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 4:11 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin View Post
My comprehension must be suffering as I see no reference of him telling you what you think and why you ride.
And neither did I call another style of riding "stupid" and "dangerous" as he's done here and in the other thread.

Unfortunately, this is an all-too-common refrain among people with a limited viewpoint - "I can't possibly ride for 1,000 miles straight, so therefore anybody who does must be exhausted and an obvious danger to others!"

I don't ride at 200 mph like the MotoGP guys, but I do recognize that they have trained themselves to handle such speeds, and are riding machines specifically built and modified for that purpose. And even at those speeds, those riders are safer than the average street rider, as a crash to them means not only loss of the race, but possibly loss of their career, or even their life. So they do the extremes, but do it safely and routinely.

A true Long Distance rider understands that, and takes just as much care and precaution with their bike, their body, and their life.

I can routinely knock out 1,000 miles in 14-15 hours moving time while staying within the posted interstate limits, and still have 9-10 hours free for sleep or sightseeing. It took me a few years to develop that skill and set the bike up correctly, but now I can easily do that for days in a row, and be safer than the average rider who only rides on sunny weekend days, or who's more interested in going from bar to bar to show off their blinged-out chopper.

For me, the "getting there" is just as important, or sometimes more important than the being there. And I've set up my bike and trained my body to make that as comfortable and effortless as possible so that riding is a pleasure, and not a chore to get through on the way to something better.

I enjoy riding purely for the sake of riding - of moving through space and time on a vehicle that reacts to my every whim. That has nothing to do with where I'm heading, or whether I choose to stop along the way or not.

Sometimes riding is the goal, and the destination is just a triviality.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 5:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMartin View Post
My comprehension must be suffering as I see no reference of him telling you
what you think and why you ride.
What are his mother, look at the original post in the seat thread before it was edited.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
post #6 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 5:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese View Post
And neither did I call another style of riding "stupid" and "dangerous" as he's done here and in the other thread.

Unfortunately, this is an all-too-common refrain among people with a limited viewpoint - "I can't possibly ride for 1,000 miles straight, so therefore anybody who does must be exhausted and an obvious danger to others!"

I don't ride at 200 mph like the MotoGP guys, but I do recognize that they have trained themselves to handle such speeds, and are riding machines specifically built and modified for that purpose. And even at those speeds, those riders are safer than the average street rider, as a crash to them means not only loss of the race, but possibly loss of their career, or even their life. So they do the extremes, but do it safely and routinely.

A true Long Distance rider understands that, and takes just as much care and precaution with their bike, their body, and their life.

I can routinely knock out 1,000 miles in 14-15 hours moving time while staying within the posted interstate limits, and still have 9-10 hours free for sleep or sightseeing. It took me a few years to develop that skill and set the bike up correctly, but now I can easily do that for days in a row, and be safer than the average rider who only rides on sunny weekend days, or who's more interested in going from bar to bar to show off their blinged-out chopper.

For me, the "getting there" is just as important, or sometimes more important than the being there. And I've set up my bike and trained my body to make that as comfortable and effortless as possible so that riding is a pleasure, and not a chore to get through on the way to something better.

I enjoy riding purely for the sake of riding - of moving through space and time on a vehicle that reacts to my every whim. That has nothing to do with where I'm heading, or whether I choose to stop along the way or not.

Sometimes riding is the goal, and the destination is just a triviality.
Apparently you see what you want. I didn't call anybodies riding style stupid or dangerous. I said riding 2300 miles for a hamburger was stupid and unless your in some unbelievable shape riding 16 hr days for 10 days straight is going to make you tired and therefore less alert and more dangerous than someone who is fresh. Just common sense. Don't compare it to a professional rider on a close track. I started with a simple question because I wondered what the point was. Now I kind of lost interest, I'm going to get on my Harley and feel the air behind me and the air in front of me and the air underneath me and ride 200 miles to Atlanta to see what there beer tastes like.

69 Triumph Bonneville
09 K1200LT
09 HD Road King
post #7 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 6:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I'm not sure what riding means to me anymore.

I'm too scared to use my aftermarket seat.

post #8 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 7:06 pm Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Apparently you see what you want.
Funny, apparently I ride how I want, too.

You specifically asked how I can ride a thousand miles a day and actually enjoy it? Not how you can do so, with your own personal limitations . . .

And I answered, plainly and with several direct examples of rides I've done, just to do them. That's reason enough for me, and since you're not riding my bike or paying my gas, then that should be good enough for you as well.

Quote:
I didn't call anybodies riding style stupid or dangerous.
But you did just that in your previous post, and restated it in this post, actually.

You called out two of the rides I've done, and directly called them stupid and dangerous, based on your own well-ingrained preconceptions and personal limitations.

Maybe for you, riding 2300 miles for a hamburger is stupid, and maybe for you, it isn't possible to ride those distances for those days. But for me, and many of my LD friends, such rides are as routine as popping over to the next county for lunch, or going on a beer run.

Hell, I've woken up in the morning, gotten a call from a client three states away with some dire emergency, and been on the bike and at their location that same day with no more planning than topping off the fuel tank. Because I keep myself and my bike in shape and prepared for such rides, which sure beats the hell out of TSA and last-minute airfares. And those are large western states, not those old, tiny ones you get back east.

My comparison to MotoGP was deliberate and valid, as just like those riders we train for these rides, and spend an inordinate amount of time and money getting our bikes, our bodies, and our minds tweaked and polished and perfected to execute them with comfort and safety. After a bit of practice, a thousand-mile day is routine and unremarkable, and stringing several together becomes almost trivial.

And yes, we enjoy those rides immensely, regardless of particular destination or any random stops along the way.

BTW, how are you getting home after that cold, tasty beer? I hope you have a friend with a trailer, as riding home after imbibing is both stupid and dangerous to you and every other road user. That's not just plain common sense, it's also the law . . .

As for what shape I'm in, you'll have to ask my chiropractor and my personal trainer about that. Because they've done amazing things in making more comfortable and more alert when pounding out the long miles . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 9:20 pm
cwo

I ride because I feel better. It is in my opinion, a sort of mindfulness meditation... where you focus on exactly what your thinking/doing/feeling at that moment.

Just finished a 6,000 mile trip up north, and averaged about 350 miles per day, enjoyed every bit of it. At the end of the day I am more relaxed and find that I am able to put my "problems" in perspective. Don't know why, it just works that way for me.

In addition after over 30 years of riding, I still realized that my riding skills are limited. In other words, the more hours I ride, the more I learn. I am certain that will never end.

Maybe some day I will set a daily mileage goal, but at this time I have no desire to do so. But I certainly enjoy following the Iron Butt riders stories in Iron Butt magazine, and respect what they do. It just aint for me.....yet.

Chris Ogle

Life is ephemeral. Don't waste it lookin up big words.
post #10 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 9:56 pm
Ted

I ride because it's cheaper than therapy.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #11 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 10:18 pm

I ride so I don't have to read what Ron and Ken write about Butt-ah or the lack of it.......
I like when Ken rides an 11 day event because that means he does not have time to post.........
I like it when Ron is selling a lot of over priced seats because he does not have time to post.

So everything thing is better when we all ride more.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #12 of 28 Old Jul 18th, 2014, 11:16 pm

I like to enjoy the trip and the destination as well so I rarely take the shortest or fastest route, when I drive my car I want to shorten the journey on the bike I plan the route around interesting roads, interesting rest stops, out of the way lunch stops......

My longest day was 1400+ km and honestly the last 4 hours where just a push to get home really did not get the enjoyment that most rides give.

Gerhard
post #13 of 28 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 11:00 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
I ride because it's cheaper than therapy.
Me too Ted. My wife says, "I like to ride & go places and check them out, and you just like to ride." So we compromise between the two.

Ken you are getting softer and kinder in your old age.

TriumphGuy why don't you file out more of your profile and tell us who you are and where you've been?

I'm sure Ken and I don't agree on every subject, but when it comes to motorcycles he has a proven track record here.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #14 of 28 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 11:42 am

Thumbs up Re: What does riding mean to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider View Post
I ride so I don't have to read what Ron and Ken write about Butt-ah or the lack of it.......
I like when Ken rides an 11 day event because that means he does not have time to post.........
I like it when Ron is selling a lot of over priced seats because he does not have time to post.

So everything thing is better when we all ride more.
John, I owe you a beer ... or SIX!!!

- Joe
post #15 of 28 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 11:58 am

Quote:
I said riding 2300 miles for a hamburger was stupid and unless your in some unbelievable shape riding 16 hr days for 10 days straight is going to make you tired and therefore less alert and more dangerous than someone who is fresh.
triumphguy 13, Look this type of riding COULD be DANGEROUS if one is not in shape . Ken and others like myself have conditioned our body to endure this high level of stress. Our preparation for this type of riding is similar to running a Marathon or Century ride on a bicycle etc. A skilled LDR can recognize the signs of fatigue and will take proper action.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #16 of 28 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 1:27 pm

Garage

I ride for varied number of reasons.
First by living in the midwest my riding season is contracted 6 maybe 7 months. So in the off season I usually try to plan my approach for the next. Before owning my first bike in '79 my dream was to cris-cross the US and see all I can see. The bike got me to take it to the next level. Also I love the outdoors so the two seem to be a natural pairing.
Many times I start out with certain destinations in mind and to complete the trip I would fill it out with side visits. Plus I have presented myself with riding in the lower 48, then Canada and perhaps AK and HI. Before I started touring with my first 2 bikes I would steal any chance to go on the bike in spite of having a car. So whether it was work, an errand or going nowhere the bike would always get the nod.
Whatever the situation I enjoying riding. And time is not a premium. Funny to say I like and have ridden in all weather except snow and ice. Though I would prefer not freezing. That's how I ride . . . grrrrreat
ride safe
post #17 of 28 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Riding for me is a brain enema , gets the un needed crap out.
MO to Artic Circle an back in 13 days , to see if I could do it .
Calif. Hwy 1 for 5 days to see and smell it.
Me thinks it is time to ride.
How , what and why one rides needs not be defended.

Bob G
post #18 of 28 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 5:14 pm

For me riding is at times for the thrill or it, other times for the relaxation, and others for the exploration. I do not count how may miles I ride (don't care) or have a wish to get someplace in the shortest possible times. I try to avoid the interstates no matter where or when I'm riding other than for short periods when necessary. The main reason for this is that I have traveled extensively in my career and have logged a million miles of driving AND a million miles of flying. I have no desire to do a million on a bike. Well, unless it's all on mountain twisties and backroads and I have no other commitments.

"Not all who wander are lost"

2014 R1200GS Adv
2018 Vespa 300
post #19 of 28 Old Jul 19th, 2014, 5:33 pm

Joy.
post #20 of 28 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 1:50 am

Really....
Just enjoy the ride!

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

post #21 of 28 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 7:16 am

I'll tell ya'; Riding is like taking the best day that you have ever had and multiplying that by 100!

I like to ride because I really "like" to ride. Going across town for a dozen eggs doesn't thrill me even when done on a motorcycle.

Now riding a 800 miles in a day for something to eat, that excites me.

Living very close to the mountains riding is fantastic, don't care where I go or how many miles I do (which normally ends up being 300-400 miles) or what time I get back that day (or night); too me it's about riding.
Twisties, 2-lanes, 4-lanes, country roads, county roads, small towns.....

I enjoy hammering the twisties, but there are also times when I like to chill (actually obeying the speed limit) and actually see what I have "passed" for years! LOL

I have ridden by a lot of POI's on our cross-country jaunts, I would really like to go back and actually STOP and visit some of these POI's; I may have to be partially-retired to do so but I have really hated missing some of these nationally-known historical locations.

I love to ride, whether it be an RTE, or a 10 day trip, I love to ride.

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

Last edited by pkpr1998; Aug 2nd, 2014 at 7:21 am.
post #22 of 28 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 8:01 am

I like to ride because it's fun. Been riding for almost 40 years, did a couple 1,000 mile days before the Ironbutt existed. Have road raced bikes and enjoy sliding a knee along the pavement at 120 MPH. Love working on bikes just as much as riding. Nothing beats just riding to clear the mind. Some people don't get it and you can't explain it to them.

2005 R1200RT
2011 Ducati 1198
~25 previous bikes over 30 years of riding
post #23 of 28 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 8:17 am

Gayest ... thread ... ever.

- Joe
post #24 of 28 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 10:19 am

Garage

Rob V.B.
2015 Triumph Explorer 1200
2007 BMW GT (SOLD)

2003 BMW LT (SOLD)

2002 BMW R1150 traded for 2002 Yamaha FZ1 traded for a 2003 GSXR 750

post #25 of 28 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 11:50 am Thread Starter
IBR# 366

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post
Gayest ... thread ... ever.
And there's the old Joe that we all know and despise . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #26 of 28 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 12:37 pm
Enjoy The Ride

I like to be outside so I drive a bike. It gets me from point A to point B. I prefer to take the quickest way to get somewhere & don't care what is in between my destination most of the time.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #27 of 28 Old Aug 2nd, 2014, 11:21 pm

For me it's mostly visceral -
  1. Adventure
  2. New experiences and new people
  3. Developing riding competency
  4. Other intangibles that I can't quite put into words

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #28 of 28 Old Oct 6th, 2015, 8:07 am
Lifetime Supporter

Die Weg ist das Ziel!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in