Gorilla Glue? You trust it? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:31 pm Thread Starter

Gorilla Glue? You trust it?

I am having a hard time figuring out how to mount some things on my bike. I would like to get a 3 ball mount from R-A-M and mount it to my clutch reservoir, but not sure how to do this. I thought about drilling through the cap myself and mounting a ram ball there. But remember the rubber boots that are inside there, I have never attempted to see if they come out.

Then I thought about just buying the 3 ball mount and as long as it doesn't sit over the cover screws, I thought about using Gorilla glue to mount it to the cover. I know that stuff holds, just not sure if I should trust it with an XM, 60gb Ipod Video, and a custom made XM/Ipod Interface box.

The tensile strength on the stuff is incredible, just the strength is only 1/2 as good as the bond. So, not sure of the bonding abilities to the ram ball mount and the coated aluminum cover.

I haven't bought anything yet. But would LOVE to see some pictures if any of you have more than one device mounted on your handlebars. I do NOT want to see the duct tape jobs...haha.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:49 pm

You can get barke and clutch plate Ram mounts from Raffe:

http://motogear4you.com/mcart/index.cgi?code=3&cat=4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#32756 -
'12
FLTRU Ember Red Sunglo (
)
'05
R1200GS Desert Yellow (
)
'00
K1200LTC Canyon Red (
) - Retired 10/2012
----------------------------------------------
'02
FLSTC Custom (
)
For bike shows, parades, Taco Thursdays and local rides on sunny days only.

post #3 of 8 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 1:52 pm

RAM Mounts on clutch res

Hey there, I used the proper www.cyclegadgets.com clutch reservoir replacement cover that comes with the integral tab with RAM mount ball. Don't forget the fantastic extra ball stud that replaces the RAM arm bolt, it has a branch ball to tree out more goodies, in my case the Garmin Quest Marine Mount plus a PPIII for my toll transponder.
Very slick, you won't regret it---no photos yet!
Good luck,
Mark
PS: I'll be near you in Snowmass 6/29 to 7/5 for a wedding......no riding unfortunately, I lost that battle!

post #4 of 8 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 2:12 pm

Gorilla glue is great stuff, but it dries out in the bottle too quickly. I wouldn't use it in this application. Too much vibration, weather, bumps, etc. You really want a mechanical bond, i.e., nuts and bolts.

Now, have you tried Gorilla tape?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #5 of 8 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 3:07 pm

I used the mounts that you can get from z-Technic that go in the mirror mount holes.

sorry, ignore the picture of the Sprint, don't know how that one got there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Starmate.JPG
Views:	132
Size:	545.7 KB
ID:	4627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sprint Cockpit.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	424.8 KB
ID:	4628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sirius back.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	515.5 KB
ID:	4629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	578.0 KB
ID:	4630  

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #6 of 8 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 5:24 pm Thread Starter

Bo,
I love the look of the mount, but my problem is that I need to mount BOTH my Ipod AND my XM on the left reservoir area.

Any suggestions...??

The Gorilla Glue is out, I contacted the manufacturer and they also said they woul dnot use it on the bike, not because of vibrations, water, etc... just that they haven't "tested" the glue on those environments.

Now, I have a bottle of Gorilla Glue I have had for WELL over a year and I can pop the top and use it today... No drying out on my end.

Never heard of the Gorilla Tape....that is all you!!

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name

Last edited by pieceofficer; Jun 23rd, 2006 at 5:29 pm.
post #7 of 8 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 8:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
Bo,

http://www.gorillatape.com/home.htm

I don't know if it's the Texas heat or what, but mine will dry out to a nice, solid chunk. Also, the "over run" or fiz it puts out while drying doesn't leave a purdy joint. Now, if working with big pieces, it's not a problem. It is good stuff and I just buy it in smaller bottles now.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #8 of 8 Old Jun 25th, 2006, 9:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
Bo,
I love the look of the mount, but my problem is that I need to mount BOTH my Ipod AND my XM on the left reservoir area.

Any suggestions...??

The Gorilla Glue is out, I contacted the manufacturer and they also said they woul dnot use it on the bike, not because of vibrations, water, etc... just that they haven't "tested" the glue on those environments.

Now, I have a bottle of Gorilla Glue I have had for WELL over a year and I can pop the top and use it today... No drying out on my end.

I've used the doublemount off the clutch resevoir for 2 gizmos; gps and ipod. Got the RAM mounts form Raffi. No problem installing and they are very stable.
Total cost about $110.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in