Looking at the BMW world - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 2:27 pm Thread Starter

Looking at the BMW world

Signed up Yesterday and embarrassingly crashed another new members thread. . Apologies to Shovelhead.
I am just starting to look at road bikes again after not having ridden for over 12 years. My oldest brother, my sister, and her husband bought into the Yamaha V-Star and Road star world. I've gone on several rides one 650 v-star They sold those and bought 1100 V-Stars and I've ridden one of those a couple of rides.....the ride was fun but was deaf and numb when I finished both, I said numb! My wife's backside wasn't feeling to good either. I road my brothers 1700 road star and it was the same but more of it, they look nice and I'm glad they like them but that probably won't be the route I take. I started looking in the private sector and have been looking at the touring bikes, both Honda's and BMW's. Came across a few BMW's and one Honda that caught my eye.

'98 Goldwing with just over 50k on it for $5500.00
'00 BMW R115r with 39K "naked" for $4900.00
'99 BMW K1200LT with 11K for $7175.00
'03 BMW K1200LT with 41K for $6195.00

Not sure which route to go and am wondering if these prices are fair for vintage and mileage. They all appear to be in great condition visually. The '03 has just had the seal between the transmission and the rear end replaced. Just curious. FF
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Jul 12th, 2014, 6:58 pm

Garage
Re: Looking at the BMW world

Depends on the condition of the bike.
Just pick one out, buy it, and get out on the road.
The best way to learn is by doing.
(Not that you shouldn't get as much book learning as possible first)
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #3 of 5 Old Jul 14th, 2014, 9:32 pm

I'd "suggest" you are looking at the WRONG bikes for having been out of riding for 12 years. You might find that a used K1200GT, K1300GT, R1150RT, all w/top box are a better get back into riding and touring type bikes.
ANY bike will allow you to ride whatever distance you want IF you have it tailored to YOU; right seat, pegs, etc...
JMO... but go take some test rides, then ask the follow-up questions. Nobody here can help you pick a bike that will work for you. Only you can decide that which means riding them.

post #4 of 5 Old Jul 27th, 2014, 4:45 pm

I agree with Teach, partly because that's the route I took. Most of the bikes you have listed are heavy and can be quite daunting for the inexperienced at low speeds. I think too much trouble with your ride at the beginning can sour you on the whole idea.

I'd been out for way more than 12 years and my wife wanted to ride. Long story but she twisted my arm and "made" me buy a bike. Turned out to be a small Kawasaki V-twin. Kept that bike a year and a half, before an accumulation of deficiencies in the bike, and an accumulation of experience in me, got me to sell it and get what caught her eye in the first place, a yellow (fastest color) GL1800. Man what a beast but momma was happy. To my surprise I found it suited me and I kept it for nearly 2 years after she died, then just got tired of horsing around a 900 lb. bike. By this time I had a decent idea of what I wanted and didn't want, so when I downsized it was to an RT. It was a great bike until it got rearended and totaled. On a GTL now but waiting for a 2014 RT (or maybe 2015 with keyless start!)

2016 R 1200 GSAW (low)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 Old Jul 28th, 2014, 4:17 am

I went from a small Kawasaki to a LT and it was a major change but I knew what I wanted and blindly proceeded to learn how to ride it. You have the support of this site and it sounds like you can handle the Yamahas. I think you might be up to the challenge but it takes time to grow into the bike. If you have an inseam less then 30 inches you will never grow into it. I can't flat foot mine and it hasn't stopped me. I would take a look at the 99 LT and would remember that it was ridden less then 1000 miles per yr. Could be a gem of a find, but look it over well. The LT is just a joy to ride solo or two up. Good luck.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in