Which of these would be the best touring motorcycle for a relatively new rider? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 7:00 pm Thread Starter

Which of these would be the best touring motorcycle for a relatively new rider?

Looking at buying a touring-friendly motorcycle to go on long rides with my riding buddies. I have been riding for about one and a half years (currently own a Sportster 883) and would like to get something with good performance, but also comfortable enough to take on long rides and fuel capacity to be able to hang with my buddies and their Ultra Glides, RoadKings, VTX, and K1200LT. I am currently interested in the Triumph Rocket III, and newer Harley V-rod (with 5 gal. tank) and 96” SFXTC (softail custom). I like these because of their performance, unique styling, and availability/price on the used market. I have not ridden any of them yet, but hope to rent one that I finally settle on and ride it for a few days before deciding. So which of the above do you think would be a good fit for me?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 7:29 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Re: Which of these would be the best touring motorcycle for a relatively new rider?

Seeing how this is a BMW forum & you are not even looking at a BMW as a bike I'm not sure you will get many answers. You may have better luck on the Triumph or HD forums getting an answer.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:49 am.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 8:03 pm

Re: Which of these would be the best touring motorcycle for a relatively new rider?

You haven't told us anything about yourself, other than you're a newer rider and you currently ride an 883 (a small bike, for any dude). Are you comfortable holding up the Rocket III? How's it feel when you sit on it compared to your 883? And what about that V-Rod? Does it have foot-forward controls? That may be an issue for a newer rider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnapinn View Post
Seeing how this is a BMW forum & you are not even looking at a BMW as a bike I'm not sure you will get many answers. You may have better luck on the Triumph or HD forums getting an answer.
Yeah, the balls of this guy. Thinking he could talk about motorcycles on a motorcycle forum.

- Joe

Last edited by katnapinn; Jul 7th, 2014 at 5:50 am.

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 8:24 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13_ver2 View Post
Yeah, the balls of this guy. Thinking he could talk about motorcycles on a motorcycle forum.
I think his point was that most of us don't know a lot about those bikes.

Of course, we do have some members who seem to know everything about everything; or at least...oh, never mind.
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 6th, 2014, 10:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenowney View Post
Looking at buying a touring-friendly motorcycle to go on long rides with my riding buddies.
I haven't ridden any of the bikes in question, but I'd be concerned about long distance touring with forward controls. At least for me, that position puts a hell of a strain on the lower back. Perhaps a back rest might help. I find having controls below the seat allow your hips to rotate forward, this in turn causes you to rest more of your weight on your thighs instead of your tail bone. Big, big ergo difference between those two positions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 8:38 am

If you are looking at long-range touring, you might want to strike the Softail from your list. From friends who own them, the suspension over rougher pavement leaves something to be desired and will abuse your tailbone.

Regarding the newer V-Rods, are you looking at a Night Rod or Muscle? The Night Rods (not the Special) had most of the styling of the special, but came equipped with mid-mount controls. This will allow you to have better riding posture in the twisties. The Muscle is more of a traditional cruiser, good for in town. The styling has never done much for me.

The Rocket III is a motor with wheels. From those I know who have ridden/owned, they are not that agile. I think you might be very disappointed coming from the Sporty you're on now.

Since you are asking on a BMW forum and appear to have a preference for cruisers, have you considered an R1150/R1200R or an R1200C? The first would give you the naked bike styling you appear to be looking for, while the R1200C is BMW's cruiser and both have the Boxer engine.

FWIW - I came to my R1150RT after owning multiple Harleys and Honda sports-touring bikes.

Best of luck to you in your search, and good luck finding the best bike to suit you!
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 10:04 am

First question I would ask you. What do you consider a touring bike? A V-Rod for example would have to have a lot of modifications to be considered a touring bike in my opinion. If you want a touring bike, you need to consider a Ultra Classic (08 or newer because of improvements in brakes), Gold Wing or the best of all BMW K1200LT. Good Luck in your choice and get the bike that fits your need. If you want to ride 500- 600 miles per day you will need one of the larger touring bikes mentioned above. If you want to ride to the bar or just cruise around town any of the bikes on your wish list would work. Get the bike you want and do not let other factions (such as worrying about owning an old mans bike) enter into your decision. Best wishes in your quest.
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 4:31 pm

^
^
^

What notahog said above.

Since you said touring and you're also considering pre-owned as well as new, look at the Honda NT700V. Smaller than a Goldwing for sure, but still comfortable for touring and nimble enough for around town or short hops too. Similar in size to a BMW 800 series, but without the buzziness at speed. No longer imported here, originally an $11,000 bike, dealers still have a few new ones for less than 8K, and very low mileage like new ones are under 5K.

2010 Honda NT700V
1978 Honda CB400T II

Formerly
2011 R1200 RT
'04 R1150 RT-P
'04 R1200CLC
'06 Triumph Scrambler
'02 K1200LT
'01 R1200C Montana
'00 H-D Dyna Defender

" Twas a woman that drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her! " - W.C. Fields
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 8:45 pm

Garage

Touring is not right for a new rider.
You have to learn the basics first. All around town, up and down the streets.
Baby steps, Calvin, baby steps.
Then slowly move into it.
Ultimately the RT is the best for touring, for an experience rider. Unless you like the Hondas. Or the Harleys.
dc

2008 R1200 RT
post #10 of 12 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 10:10 am
Lifetime Supporter

For one up touring for a newer rider, I would look at the BMW RT series, the Kawasaki Concourse (original and 13), the Honda ST series, and Yamaha FJR 1300. They are lighter weight, have a relatively low balance point, power, economy and fuel capacity. Ride them all and make a decision. Good luck. I wouldn't consider the models you stated as touring bikes. JM2CW.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 12:28 pm

For me it really depends on what you like to ride and how you define "touring". If it's 2-300 miles a day for a couple of days, hell, a scooter would work. If you're talking about 5-800 miles a day for weeks, better get something bigger.
If you really like a smaller bike, and can ride it comfortably, even an FZ1, FZ8 or 09 would work fine.
I've ridden my HD softtail duece several thousand miles comfortably. No one here can 'tell' you what will work for you. You just have to get out and try.
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 8th, 2014, 4:57 pm

I think you should get a CAN-AM.

Just Go

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in