Motorcyclist struck and killed by lightning - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 7:58 am Thread Starter

Motorcyclist struck and killed by lightning

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/13471386/

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:56 am

Well, I certainly am glad they mentioned in the article that the rider was wearing a helmet!

I don't think it would make too much difference when a lightning bolt hits you, tho.....
post #3 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:00 am

This is becoming more and more common. It's got me pulling over for the first time this year. I used to ride right through the crap. Now, I'm thinking twice.

post #4 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:02 am

I think it was just last year when another unlucky soul got hammered in Rocky Mountain National Park - just a few miles away up the hill...

I see guys playing golf ALL the time in Colorado with thunderstorms in the area. Nothing like waving a 3 foot metal pole in the air to attract attention.

I understand that lightening likes a blunt surface better than a point for grounding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #5 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Actualy, the electrical field strength is lowest on a blunt surface. This is why lightning rods are pointed. You want the lightning to strike the rod so it will be discharged safely into the ground.
I for one will certainly be much more aware of riding in thunder storms.

Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #6 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:30 am

I wonder what time this occured. I was zipping down I-25 right by there yesterday. I did see a guy on a RT about 4:30. Hopefully it was not him.
post #7 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:32 am

What a way to go! One minute enjoying the commute on your scoot, the next wake up in the presence of the Almighty.

Sandy
Be Ready
post #8 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:34 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonKMiller
I think it was just last year when another unlucky soul got hammered in Rocky Mountain National Park - just a few miles away up the hill...

I see guys playing golf ALL the time in Colorado with thunderstorms in the area. Nothing like waving a 3 foot metal pole in the air to attract attention.

I understand that lightening likes a blunt surface better than a point for grounding.
I think it was Jack Nicklaus who, when told a thunderstorm was immenent, said he wasn't worried about it and proceeded to wave a club around in the air declaring "not even god can hit a 1-iron!".
post #9 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:50 am
kip

ha

i figure if you are riding down the road and get hit by lightening....its your time.....

kinda like an uncle i had who was driving through cherokee north carolina at about 30 mph when a huge oak tree fell off a hill above the road and smashed his truck into the ground.....

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #10 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:22 am

This article is even better!

Bob
post #11 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:49 am

Weird how they measure bike distance in meters and the crater in inches. I thought we were still in feet, yards, all that different stuff.

and you GT riders needin' worry. I hear those bikes are too fast and sleek for lightning....

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #12 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:51 am

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
Actualy, the electrical field strength is lowest on a blunt surface. This is why lightning rods are pointed. You want the lightning to strike the rod so it will be discharged safely into the ground.
I could be wrong (it happened once a long time ago ) but isn't the purpose of a lightning rod to discharge the buildup to ground to prevent the lightning strike? I think if lightning did strike a lightning rod it would pretty much fry it.

Reido
K1600GTL...Blue Metallic
USMC 1971-1975
Ham Radio Call: W0FVR

"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
--H.H. Humphrey
post #13 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron82much
I think it was Jack Nicklaus who, when told a thunderstorm was immenent, said he wasn't worried about it and proceeded to wave a club around in the air declaring "not even god can hit a 1-iron!".
I thought it was Lee Trevino.

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #14 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:59 am

Before Rock says it...

I'll add this: What we need is a federal law requiring lighting rods on our mandatory m/c helmets, with a portable field generator/dissipator on the back of each and every motorcycle -- retroactive to all bikes ever made. These death-by-lightning tragedies must stop.

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #15 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler921
I thought it was Lee Trevino.
I'm not really sure...that was from memory. Someone here thinks it was a 2-iron

But, on the serious side...I also recall reading that you should get to safety if you can see lightning (even distant flashes) or hear thunder. A stoke of lightning travels for miles, depending on the electrical charges at work.

As for the lightning rod, it is meant to attract the lightning stroke to itself to keep it from hitting a building directly. The building is already grounded, which is what the lightning is attracted to. Use of a lightning rod has to be VERY carefully planned...they were very popular when they were first invented and many a barn was burned down because they attracted the lightning but couldn't effectively shunt the current to the earth and POOF, there goes the barn!
post #16 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
I'll add this: What we need is a federal law requiring lighting rods on our mandatory m/c helmets, with a portable field generator/dissipator on the back of each and every motorcycle -- retroactive to all bikes ever made. These death-by-lightning tragedies must stop.

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Please don't get me started, I've had my rant-fest, my tongue is already bleeding from all the times I've bitten it after reading some of the recent threads. Must resist, must resist, stop typing now...hit send....arrrrghh!
post #17 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:08 am

Quote:
Please don't get me started, I've had my rant-fest, my tongue is already bleeding from all the times I've bitten it after reading some of the recent threads. Must resist, must resist, stop typing now...hit send....arrrrghh!
Understood, Ron. I meant my reply in total HUMOR and don't want to reopen that already-open can of worms (the thread is still ongoing). It was meant to lighten that topic up a little.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #18 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Understood, Ron. I meant my reply in total HUMOR and don't want to reopen that already-open can of worms (the thread is still ongoing). It was meant to lighten that topic up a little.
Got it...I'm trying to be a good boy (for a few minutes). Actually I thought your post was pretty funny
post #19 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:18 am

Quote:
Got it...I'm trying to be a good boy (for a few minutes). Actually I thought your post was pretty funny
Then my work here is done!

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)

[/URL]
post #20 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:31 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
I could be wrong (it happened once a long time ago ) but isn't the purpose of a lightning rod to discharge the buildup to ground to prevent the lightning strike? I think if lightning did strike a lightning rod it would pretty much fry it.
Nope, didn't happen again.

You're right. That's why the points - allow charge to 'bleed' off easier so there's no build up of voltage.

For some excellent info on grounding, lighting/RF protection, corrosion prevention and more - check out: http://www.polyphaser.com/ppc_ptd_home.aspx Even an article specific to us ham types

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #21 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 12:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Sandman
What a way to go! One minute enjoying the commute on your scoot, the next wake up in the presence of the Almighty.

Sandy
Be Ready
Well, I guess who you meet depends on how you lived. Personally, I don't know who's going to be more frightened - me, at the Gates of Hell, or Satan, wondering if he should answer the doorbell. :-)
post #22 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 1:20 pm

I think the line about God hitting a 1 iron is a myth. I know for a fact the Lee Trevino was hit twice while playing in tournaments, actually saw it on TV the first time. First sound of thunder now and he runs for cover.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #23 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 3:55 pm

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
I think the line about God hitting a 1 iron is a myth. I know for a fact the Lee Trevino was hit twice while playing in tournaments, actually saw it on TV the first time. First sound of thunder now and he runs for cover.
Details, details, details...hehehe...
post #24 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 6:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R
Maybe God was proving him wrong? hehe

"Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been." Jerry Garcia
post #25 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:00 pm

Lightning Strikes Motorcyclist?

I thought that was this safety device was for.
post #26 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:39 pm

Don't matter whether you are riding your MC or sweet talking your spouse, when the boss pulls the plug, you're done.

I have a friend who was struck while sitting in his home, 10 feet from any wall. Lightning came in the window, shattering it.. he has this gray streak of hair now, left to right acrosss his skull... he's always smiling.. sez.. "I know I've been given a second chance."

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #27 of 28 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:42 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber

Researchers find that blunt lightning rods work best

WASHINGTON (AP) Among Benjamin Franklin's famous accomplishments was inventing the lightning rod. However, a new study says his design was flawed and the rods work better if they are blunt-tipped instead of being sharp.

Researchers in New Mexico tested both types of lightning rods, along with some new devices called "early streamer emitters", which manufacturers claim are even better than the rods at attracting lightning.

On the Web
Rods with blunt, rounded ends worked best, the scientists report in the May 15. 2000 issue of Geophysical Research Letters. In fact, when they left rods with various tips on the 12,000-foot summit of South Baldy Peak in the Magdalena mountains of central New Mexico, the blunt tipped rods were the only ones that managed to attract lightning.

The research team from the Langmuir Laboratory for Atmospheric Research at the New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology was led by now-retired professor Charles B. Moore.

Franklin based his lightning rod on the discovery that electrified objects could be discharged by approaching them with a metal needle.

At first, he thought that lightning might be prevented by sharp rods, which could cause it to discharge silently, without a spark. In fact, however, his rods were struck by lightning, and Franklin realized that grounding the rod with a wire provided lightning a preferential path, away from the structure.

Moore launched his lightning studies in the 1950s working with Bernard Vonnegut, a pioneer in developing cloud seeding.

Over the years, Moore said, he became curious why sharp-tipped rods he was using to attract lightning did not seem to do that as well as he expected.

"When you see a paradox of nature its always intriguing to try to find out why," he said in a telephone interview. "I'm a strong believer in Franklin's lightning rods, but they could be made better."

The team exposed sharp-tipped rods, blunt ones of various sizes and the new early streamer emitters on a mountaintop and waited to see what happened.

"After seven years of tests, none of the sharp Franklin rods or of the so-called 'early streamer emitters' has been struck, but 12 blunt rods with tip diameters ranging from 12.7 mm to 25.4 mm have taken strikes," they reported. "Our field experiments and our analyses indicate that the strike-reception probabilities of Franklin's rods are greatly increased when their tips are made moderately blunt."

"We have found no evidence suggesting that sharp-tipped lightning rods are effective strike receptors when similarly-exposed, moderately blunt rods are in their vicinity," they said. They stressed, however, that lightning does strike sharp rods when no competing blunt ones are nearby.

They concluded that "Franklin's method for providing (lightning) protection has been made less effective than it could be by his urging that the tip of lightning rods be sharpened".

Working with Moore on the project were researchers Graydon D. Aulich and William Rison. Geophysical Research Letters is published by the American Geophysical Union.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	blunt tipped rods.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	4620  

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #28 of 28 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:20 am
WAL

It was Lee Trevino who said that

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in