BMW MOA Endorsed Insurance??? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 1:03 pm Thread Starter

BMW MOA Endorsed Insurance???

When we moved from Idaho to Nevada in the fall of 2005, I needed to shop for insurance for my vehicles. I asked for quotes from several companies and found the "BMW MOA Endorsed Insurance Program" from Markel American Insurance Company to be the best price for my three motorcycles.

On February 14th of 2006, mainly because of the endorsement of the MOA, I sent Markel American insurance $920 in full payment for 12 months worth of full-coverage insurance for my three motorcycles.

Imagine my surprise a few days ago, when I received a bill from Markel American, stating that I owed another $256.00 for coverage, with $99.76 due immediately. I called their "customer service" phone line this morning, and was told that I owed the additional money because I had failed to sign and return forms declining uninsured motorist protection on my bikes.

When I originally talked to the insurance company's rep about purchasing insurance coverage, I believe I would have remembered something about an extra $256 for uninsured motorist protection, and do not believe that I would have agreed to decline such coverage on my motorcycles in the first place. Even if I had agreed to it, why is the company waiting FOUR MONTHS to bill me for this coverage?

I have heard about dishonest companies who send out unwarranted bills to customers in the hopes that the customer is not paying attention, and will just submit payments whenever they receive a bill. Is this another one of those scams? If so, how can BMW MOA endorse this company? Has anyone else had such a problem from this company?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 3:49 pm

Umc

These are my general thoughts. Please read your policy to get a better idea of the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetDoc
...I do not believe I would have agreed to decline such coverage on my motorcycles in the first place.
Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UMC) compensates you for BODILY INJURY or WRONGFUL DEATH when those are sustained by way of an uninsured motorist. UMC generally does not cover damages to your bikes, except in limited circumstances and in limited amounts. Usually, your comprehensive will be the operative coverage for the property damage, and UMC (if it applies) covers the comprehensive deductible.

Since I have good medical insurance, my need of UMC is lessened and I declined it. This might have been your thought process when you declined it, too (assuming you did).

Quote:
Even if I had agreed to it, why is the company waiting FOUR MONTHS to bill me for this coverage?
In CA (which NV often follows), UMC is implied in every auto policy and is ony taken out of the policy when you give a waiver. If NV is similar, then Markel was likely billing you at the non-UMC premium while waiting for your waiver forms. Once they figured out you weren't going to send in the waiver, they billed you for the full-UMC-required policy premium.

If your review of your policy and consultation with Markel reps indicates that it's the right thing for you, you should consider just faxing them your waiver and asking that you not be billed that $256.

Quote:
Has anyone else had such a problem from this company?
I've done work for Markel, and they appear to be a stand-up company. I do not think they're trying to hoodwink you on this one.

Last edited by midwilshire; Jun 20th, 2006 at 4:10 pm.
post #3 of 3 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 4:04 pm

I go thru this every year with them and put up with it as they're the cheapest I've found. Just sign the forms, mail them off and forget about it.

BTW, they're real good and quick on a claim as I found out..... the hard way.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in