New Guy on the block - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 12:57 am Thread Starter

Smile New Guy on the block OR Top of the Rockies Rally - Information Please

Want to get some feed back on this rally The Top of the Rockies in Paonia, CO. I really want to go but don't know what to expect. Will it be a big crowd there or just a small cozy one with this side of town. I will be going to Royal Gorge a few days earler, to camp and check out my new 1200. If anyone can give me some tips and get me a heads up as to what to excect and to take. Tradeing patches or shirts or anything like that. Thanks

Tommytunes

Last edited by DaveDragon; Jun 20th, 2006 at 12:06 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 7:27 am

Welcome Tommy. Congrats on the new bike.

At the risk of offending you . . . might I make a suggestion?

You titled this thread "New Guy on the block". But you're actually looking for information regarding the Top of the Rockies Rally. You would probably get a lot more responses and better information if you named this thread more appropriately. Something like, "Top of the Rockies Rally - Information Please".

I'm pretty new to the forum myself, but I think you might find this to be very helpful. Feel free to PM me with any other helpful advise. Donations also now being accepted.
post #3 of 12 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommytunes
Want to get some feed back on this rally The Top of the Rockies in Paonia, CO. I really want to go but don't know what to expect. Will it be a big crowd there or just a small cozy one with this side of town. I will be going to Royal Gorge a few days earler, to camp and check out my new 1200. If anyone can give me some tips and get me a heads up as to what to excect and to take. Tradeing patches or shirts or anything like that. Thanks

Tommytunes
Hi, Tommy - welcome to the bin!!

I did some looking at the July Calendar of Events and came up with this item for a start. I've alwayz heard that T.O.T.R. rally is one of the better ones, and a great event to attend as one's first rally. Hope you find the link helpful, and I'm sure you can PM Pete Jessen for more info if needed. Good luck.

Best

post #4 of 12 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 7:49 am

Welcome, Tommy!
I live up in Round Rock.. 2005 k1200LT. You've come to a good place for good folks and information.

Can't help on the route you're asking about.. sorry..

Anyhow.. see ya around!... Peace..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 7:55 am

My best piece of advice is to camp in center field if you want to get a good nights sleep and avoid all the snoring. You'll STILL need earplugs. Everybody else camps under the trees in the park. Ever heard 1,000 chain saws on high throttle at the same time? The only dowside is there is no shade but during the day the entire core area is heavily shaded. Nice.

Seriously, it's a great rally and really laid back, lots of vendors, a beer garden, hot showers, lots of cheap crappy food and is almost all BMWs. What a motorcycle rally is ALL about. Don't be fooled by Paonia's altitude, it can be DAMN hot there, although it does cool off nicely at night. Several years ago it was 104F both days. The Black Canyon of the Gunnison is a MUST ride and the road is just a couple of years old. Perfect for carving corners on your new scoot. Just make sure to pull off to sneak a peak 'cause it's 2500 feet to the bottom. It's worth the 10 miles of well maintained hard dirt road to get to the viewpoints at the eastern rim near the north part. If you're going to Royal Gorge I would recommend heading over to Crede, then Lake City, and then on to Paonia. A bit out of the way but an absolutely awesome route. Resist the temptation to head over directly on 50 or you will miss some of the best riding in the COUNTRY and a couple of very funky small mountain towns. This is my old stomping ground (went to college in Gunnison). I would not waste more than a day at Royal Gorge - nothing more than a river, canyon and a cool suspension bridge. Also a major tourist trap with lots of RV's.

Have fun, and if I go (it will be spur of the moment) I'll be the lone guy at the center field fence line with no hair and a big hat, black LT and funny looking seats full of holes. Stop by and way hi.

Just don't pitch a tent next to me or there will be trouble. Next to BMW my favorite brand is Beretta.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jun 20th, 2006 at 8:05 am.
post #6 of 12 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:52 am
Premium Vendor

Welcome!

Tony 05
post #7 of 12 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advise. I am really new at this, and all tips are appreciated. I just got my trailer hitch installed and can't wait to take off, for Colorado. Took my little camper to Yellowstone, Glaicer and Canada last year. This new bike has more HP. Take care and hope get more advise from the master.

Just
Tommy
post #8 of 12 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:54 pm

Thumbs up

"Just Tommy". I like it!

(Imitation is the purest form of flattery, you know?)
post #9 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info. As far as the Royal Gorge, I am meeting a guy I work with down the road at the KOA campsite on the Arkansas river. Thought I would try a little fishing and whitewater rafting. Before heading to Paonia. I am worried about the snoring though. I want to sleep. Don't worry I will not get close but my other best friend is Mr Glock, so I could watch your back. Retiring on the 29th of July. 30 yrs of LE and this is my vacation burning 3 weeks of vac. til the end. Hope to see you there.

Tommy
post #10 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 10:31 pm

Enjoy.. be safe.. should you need anything, gimme a ring..

God bless you for your service!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #11 of 12 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommytunes
Thanks for the info. As far as the Royal Gorge, I am meeting a guy I work with down the road at the KOA campsite on the Arkansas river. Thought I would try a little fishing and whitewater rafting. Before heading to Paonia. I am worried about the snoring though. I want to sleep. Don't worry I will not get close but my other best friend is Mr Glock, so I could watch your back. Retiring on the 29th of July. 30 yrs of LE and this is my vacation burning 3 weeks of vac. til the end. Hope to see you there.

Tommy
Mr. Glock? Not a problem - welcome to center field. We'll just SHOOT those danged snorers! (son of a former FBI agent here)

(either that of have El Jeffe sit on 'em)

...and here's the best $20.00 earplugs I've found to date:

www.earplugsthatfit.com

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #12 of 12 Old Jun 23rd, 2006, 12:03 am
Gold Supporter

Garage
Ron, see ya there?

Ron, I'll be in Paonia with Roger (he was with me at the station in Hanksville) Come over to see us at Jack's Playground, in the central park.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in