Another thread - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 24th, 2014, 8:04 pm Thread Starter

Another thread

I was replying to a thread in another forum and I had to laugh at another members comments about anti-social views towards motorcyclists. It got me to thinking about the years I've ridden and how much things have changed, particularly the public perception.
I'm sure I'm not alone but I remember pulling into roadside rest areas on my bike. Mothers would scoop up their children and hurry off in another direction. If you did get any acknowledgement from another it was generally a scowl and not very inviting.
Now days you are far more likely to come out of the restroom to find some idiot has placed their kid on your bike for a photo op, or they'll be way closer than they should be to your bike looking at stuff. Everyone wants to stop and chat, or tell their story about the bike they have back home.
How many of you remember those old days???

ps... one thing that has never changed is that little kids love waving and looking at bikes and their riders
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 25th, 2014, 7:38 am

Re: Another thread

Back during the EASY RIDER days when my wife and I first started vacationing on the motorcycle I recall being told at the Motel Office that there were no rooms available on many occasions. After awhile we figured out that if we parked the bike out of sight of the Office and removed all our biker gear before walking in we always got a room. Then of course there were the camp grounds where they would reluctantly let you in but insisted on leading you to your site which was always in some obscure corner out of the sight of all other campers. AH yes, THE GOOD 'OL DAYS!!

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 25th, 2014, 5:46 pm

Yeah, on many occasions, I have found parents with their kids on my motorcycle seat. What wins the prize is the person who used my motorcycle seat as a diaper changing table. They didn't even have the courtesy to take the dirty diaper with them. Eeeew!

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 25th, 2014, 7:10 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

A few years ago Sammie & I, along with Dan Martin & Joel (tarheelrider) were in Utah on this back road along a river. I see a great place to pull over to take a few pictures at the last minute. We all whip in as fast as we can & see there is 1 car with a Mom, Dad & Son all by them selves. As our 3 LT pull to a stop (2 pulling trailers) right next to the family I see the Dad hurry Mom & son behind him in fear. Sammie jumps off the bike & said something very loud but I could not understand what it was with my helmet still on. At that minute the family started smiling & walked toward us.
The lady began to tell us the weekend before 600 Hells Angels where there in Moab & things got out of hand, She went on to say that when they saw 3 motorcycles turn in & stop very fast they thought that trouble was coming their way. She then said she knew every thing was good when she heard Sammie yell out "Damn I broke a nail" as she was taking off her helmet.

Just goes to show you a lot of people associate motorcycle with bad people who do bad things without even getting to know the motorcyclest.

Stevie Shreeve

Last edited by katnapinn; Jun 25th, 2014 at 7:44 pm.
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 27th, 2014, 3:50 pm

Garage

I may be a bit young to remember those experiences
Seriously though my first bike a Kawasaki so not much eyeballing there. The '85 Goldwing was next and really an eye grabber. But bike was closely guarded by where it was and for how long it was unattended.
Now with the LT all positives.
Recently in Albany NY pull up next to trooper who was gassing up for some travel advice. Conversation went beyond that and very friendly. Which led to a couple more stories with two others at the gas oasis. At the various other stops, visits and campsites all drew pleasant interest. But no diaper changing.
ride safe
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 10:13 am

I am 67 and have been riding since I was 14 years old. So I have seen a big change in attitude towards riders (I refuse to call myself a biker). I have owned a lot of different brand names, started out with a Triumph that I think I pushed more than I rode. LOL I think the BMW bike is a plus for a lot of reasons, but I still enjoy people saying I did not know that BMW made motorcycles.
post #7 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 10:15 am

I also refuse to call myself a BIKER.
I am a motorcyclist.

Eric von Laue

3Cyl Kawa ( a long time ago)
450 Yamaha Seca ( maybe it was a Maxim )
1100 Honda Magna
650 Honda XR ( to Guatemala and back)
1990 Honda PC800 ( Mountain Mama )
2000 BMW 1200LT ( Maxamillion )

Keep the rubber side down
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 12:20 pm

So.. Yesterday, My Wife & I are sitting outside at the Coffee Station in Silverton, and an older Fella looks at the LT & says "that looks like a brand new bike".
Actually, it's 14 years old. (I get that a lot). The LT has a friendly look to it.
I've had dressed Biker guys come up & ask about the LT. "I've been looking at these. How do you like it"?
Almost all positive.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 7th, 2014, 3:04 pm

Back in France when I started riding in the late 60s people would view riders a rebels and sometimes ignored us when we stopped at a restaurant or cafe. Most of us were in our teens or early 20s and dressed in black leather.
Then the public came to realize that we were consumers and that bikes weren't cheap. Things progressed to the point where people in cages would chat with me at a red light, complimenting that my bike's engine didn't interfere with their radio reception. Indeed many riders modified their bikes so they were loud and/or caused parasitic interference.

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in