Replacement Hand Grips for a 2006 Lt - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 9:59 am Thread Starter

Replacement Hand Grips for a 2006 Lt

Hi folks,
I'm planning a cross country run ( I have 3 days to get from Eastern NY to Vail, Co) on a 2006 LT. I would like to replace the original heated hand grips with a larger set. I haven't seen anyone advertising them. Can someone recommend a set?

Also, I have a 29 inch inseam, any recommendations on highway pegs (bike has the comfort seat) would be appreciated as well.

I'm scheduled to leave in the middle of July.

Any other recommendations would be welcome as well.

-cg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:14 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Several of us have used tennis racket grip tape. Goes on easy and provides a good cushion. Still lets the heat through when you need it. You can wrap it in a barrel shape for improved comfort.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:28 am
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkusny
Hi folks,
I'm planning a cross country run ( I have 3 days to get from Eastern NY to Vail, Co) on a 2006 LT. I would like to replace the original heated hand grips with a larger set. I haven't seen anyone advertising them. Can someone recommend a set?

Also, I have a 29 inch inseam, any recommendations on highway pegs (bike has the comfort seat) would be appreciated as well.

I'm scheduled to leave in the middle of July.

Any other recommendations would be welcome as well.

-cg
The heated drips from the R1200 CL can be put on the LT. The grip is larger in circumference and lots of folks have changed to them with no troubles.

As for highway pegs, I would recommend the standard Jpegs. I've used Jpegs (standard and XL) on all three of my LTs and wouldn't take long trips without them.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Jpegs

Thanks for the replies, it's appreciated. I'm surprised that some aftermarket grips don't (or at least I haven't found them) exist.

I installed the lowering kit from Suburban, and they are a excellent. I put a few miles on the bike today, and it was the first time my leg muscles didn't get stressed from the tight seating position. I've tried the seat in the lower and up position, however it didn't really help with my legs getting cramped. However, the Suburban Kit made the seating position comfortable for a few more hours then the stock peg location.

How difficult is the installation of the JPEGS?
post #5 of 7 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 6:02 am

I too have a 06 LT.. The Surburban peg lowering kit does work. I installed both the Surburban pegs and the Jpegs XL in aprox 2 hours. I did take the advice from many LT owners who have installed the XL Jpegs. They say once you have drop your ride (not yet for me) the Jpeg pokes a hole in the fiberglass due to the soft compound of the bolts holding the peg . Many people have taken a dremel tool and cut a small opening in the fiberglass. You would not know it was not factory, looking at it. This seemed to be better than the peg making it's own hole. To each their own. Both really help in the long ride.
Good luck

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #6 of 7 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 11:51 pm

Another consideration is the Highway Ottomans. I really like mine, I have an inseam of 30", here is a pic from last weeks 5 day trip.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #7 of 7 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 6:54 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomakazie
I too have a 06 LT.. The Surburban peg lowering kit does work. I installed both the Surburban pegs and the Jpegs XL in aprox 2 hours. I did take the advice from many LT owners who have installed the XL Jpegs. They say once you have drop your ride (not yet for me) the Jpeg pokes a hole in the fiberglass due to the soft compound of the bolts holding the peg . Many people have taken a dremel tool and cut a small opening in the fiberglass. You would not know it was not factory, looking at it. This seemed to be better than the peg making it's own hole. To each their own. Both really help in the long ride.
Good luck
Is that a problem only with the XL JPEGS? Or do both the standard and the XL have the issue with poking a hole into the fiberglass?

-cg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in