Ohio to Maine solo? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 9:31 pm Thread Starter

Ohio to Maine solo?

My great aunt invited me to come up and visit Maine in Sept. I have long wanted to ride my bike to Maine anyhow. I may end up going solo there and back. How do you feel about riding that distance solo? Any help appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 9:33 pm

and the problem is...?

Guess the real question is how do you feel about it.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #3 of 37 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 9:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwnahas
and the problem is...?

Guess the real question is how do you feel about it.
I'm very confident on my riding skills, just curious as to safety on the road. Have not done a ride that long solo.

post #4 of 37 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:05 pm

Lets see if we can narrow this down a bit.
Your concerned about safety.
As related to judgment?
Situational awareness?
Ability to predict actions 12 seconds into the future?
Actions of others?
Condition of your equipment?

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2014 K1600 GTL Grey Wolf.
post #5 of 37 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 10:23 pm

What are your fears?
What are your limitations?

Yeah, we all have them.

Can you manage your weaknesses and ride within your strengths?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #6 of 37 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:07 pm

Don't rush, take plenty brakes & before you know it you're there.
post #7 of 37 Old Jun 17th, 2006, 11:38 pm
Super Moderator

I feel fine about it; when I map it out it looks like around 900 miles one way which is an easy 2 day trip on the LT (although a lot of guys will tell you it's an easy 1 day trip on the LT ). I'm planning a 4500 mile solo cross country trip from Atlanta to Seattle to San Jose later this year, and have taken longer thips than te one you're thinking about every year for 10 years or more.

Obviously you have some concerns about doing it. What might those be?

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 R1200RT Polar Metallic
AMA, BMWMOA
Booze Brother #4

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!

post #8 of 37 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 3:16 am

No problems riding that trip solo, IMO. Just make sure you take a cell phone in case you need anything or get stopped either because of fatigue, mechanical, or judicial (ie performance awards) and you'll be fine.

I do find that I ride a bit more conservatively on a big ride as I want to eliminate risks to make sure I make it to my destination, but having ridden coast to coast a few times now, I wouldn't hesitate to set out solo for that stretch.

Now ... if you had to detour down through Mexico or something, then I might start suggesting something different.
post #9 of 37 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 6:21 am

My first long trip was two years ago and about 3 months after Red Rover came to live at my place. I had to work in DC one week and then on up to Poughkeepsie for the next week. The 590 miles from Atlanta to DC was done solo. I had a ride partner from Front Royal, VA to Poughkeepsie on the middle weekend. The return trip home was solo, 469 miles on day one and 572 miles on day two. Since then, I've done several 700+ miles days alone and with riding partners. I've go no reservations about jumping off on a long trip anymore. I just make sure that the bike is prepared physically and I'm prepared mentally and physically.

Enjoy your ride and your great aunt.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #10 of 37 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 6:22 am

OBTW, if you have a significant other, it is probably a good idea to check in with them every time you take a break or stop for gas. DAMHIK.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."
post #11 of 37 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 7:32 am

Riding solo versus a group ride...I think it is safer. Less concentration on another bike. You can stop when you are fatigued without concern for you holding the other up. No egos.
post #12 of 37 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 8:22 am

Just ride till you feel like you don't want to go anymore. I just drove back from the Iron Horse in Stecoah, NC to Hartford, CT in one shot, about 930 miles, and had no problem with it at all. On the other hand last week I drove from Gettysburg, PA into VA and had to stop before I even made it to Roanoke - all of about 120 miles because I had stayed up talking with a buddy until it was waaaay too late the night before - so I stopped and got a motel room for 5 hours before continuing on. Don't let your pride stop you from doing the same and you'll be fine.

R1200GSA Hi Ho, Hi Ho, It's off to Alaska I go!
(Down to ONE BIKE - ARGH!)
post #13 of 37 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 9:53 am Thread Starter

Thanks all...

There is really no "fear factor" here, just concern sometimes over such things as the errant rear drive, the ocassional moose crossing. One thing I forgot to mention was the possibility of doing part of the ride through Canada as my final destination in Maine is close to Montreal.
post #14 of 37 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 11:20 am

Solo is the only way I ride and a "standard jaunt" is usually in excess of 6000 miles about 3 times per year. I find that I have a far better journey because I only have to worry about my-self (no baby-sitting ). If I feel like stopping (or not), driving fast or slow, or taking a detour, I only have my-self to answer to. I also find that a trip is far more enjoyable if you set the pace "as you go". Forcing yourself from one point to the next can create fatique that is potentially fatal------what's the rush-----an extra day hasn't hurt any-one
post #15 of 37 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 1:36 pm

Long trips are easy.

In the words of an LD veteran...

Points at seat: "Sit here."

Points at grip: "Twist that."
post #16 of 37 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 2:29 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro
I find that I have a far better journey because I only have to worry about my-self (no baby-sitting ).
That is EXACTLY why I will choose to do this trip alone! Rode with a friend (he rode a F650GS) to the Dragon's Tail last Sept. The statement above is what went through my head over and over after the first 50 miles. Arg!!!

Thanks for all the supportive words LT friends.
post #17 of 37 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 8:21 pm

Plan the trip conservatively.

In other words give yourself plenty of time. It is better to have plenty of time and do the trip much quicker, than to not give yourself enough time and find yourself fatigued.

One of my first big trips I planned a maximum of 400 mile days. I ended up with a few 800 and 1000+ because I found my fatigue level was beyond what I planned. I was quite comfortable, and in the middle of the trip when I did feel a bit of pressure, I had time to just take a day knock out a couple hundred miles - find a good motel and rest for a fresh start.

Also, if you have not strung long saddle days together before - usually day 3 or 4 gets much more difficult.
post #18 of 37 Old Jun 18th, 2006, 9:16 pm Thread Starter

Phil, good points. I will certainly pull over after my first yawn or wandering brain. Good thing there are decent cheapo hotels much of the way.
post #19 of 37 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 1:52 pm

go thru vermont - July 20 -23

schedule the trip thru Burlington Vermont July 20-23. there should be 4 or 5,000 other beemer riders there for the annual BMWMOA rally. Some of us call riding solo "lone wolfing." It's the best way to go in my opinion...
post #20 of 37 Old Jun 19th, 2006, 11:09 pm Thread Starter

Ahhhh oooooooo!!!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lone Wolf.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	4541  
post #21 of 37 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 8:39 am

Just back from a solo 3000 mile trip from TN through Ohio, Pennsylvania, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine. Mostly on secondary or US highways. Very little Interstates. The LT ran just great. I stopped about every 100 miles or so and stretched and scratched. Learned to alternate fuel stops and eat stops. Tried to find "Mom & Pop" restaurants and motels. Stopped at Lake George for the Americade and Laconia for the annual thing there. I'm 70 years old and don't worry much about traveling alone. Just use some common sense regarding stops and distances travelled and you'll be just fine. Ride safe and enjoy.
post #22 of 37 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 8:56 am

Right on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorawro
Solo is the only way I ride and a "standard jaunt" is usually in excess of 6000 miles about 3 times per year. I find that I have a far better journey because I only have to worry about my-self (no baby-sitting ). If I feel like stopping (or not), driving fast or slow, or taking a detour, I only have my-self to answer to. I also find that a trip is far more enjoyable if you set the pace "as you go". Forcing yourself from one point to the next can create fatique that is potentially fatal------what's the rush-----an extra day hasn't hurt any-one
Couldn't have said it better. My most memorable ride was my first long ride, Denver to Whitehorse, BC, by myself on an '85 FJ1100. What a great ride, did what I wanted when I wanted, "no worries, mate."

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #23 of 37 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:05 am
WAL

Go for it if you feel comfortable going solo. I have gone on long trips both solo and with another bike along and both work for me. Solo is great if you just want to ride at your own pace without having to consider others riding styles and /or agendas or places to stop, eat or lodge at. However it is nice to have someone you know to have a beer with and to talk to at various stops during your trip. Which ever way you decide to go take a cell phone or at least a calling card and enough cash and CC to take care of any unforseen problems that may arise. And it doesn't hurt to call and check in and let people know where you are at the end of the day. Above all just enjoy the ride and enjoy the independance and solitude. Be safe and have a great trip
post #24 of 37 Old Jun 20th, 2006, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

Okay...that's it!! I am outta here after labor day for Maine. I appreciate the supportive comments and suggestions. Should be a blast and a warm up for my eventual trip to Alaska (my dream), in 1-2 years or sooner. Want to do it before the LT gets up in the miles.
post #25 of 37 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:23 am

I've been off-line for about a week now because of moving. After buying a new laptop last night for my road trip, one of the first threads I see is about traveling to Maine.

I will be heading out to Maine from Sacramento next week. I have a family farmhouse in the middle of Maine and plan on hanging my hat there this summer. Luckily, I have family in Colorado and Missouri to break up the trip.
I have been looking at the weather reports for accross the U.S. now for weeks. I think rain gear should be handy. I have sent a box of clothes and extra gear to Maine. But I still have lots of stuff to take on the LT.

The only real worries for me is that I can't split traffic(Cal. only), rain and my half worn Metzelers, keeping a good riding/time schedule and eating and drinking properly and getting a good nights sleep every night. If I had to worry about a myriad of potential mechanical problems with the LT, then I would go crazy with worry. I will keep a list of all national BMW dealers wth me. Just being prudent.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #26 of 37 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 5:38 pm Thread Starter

[QUOTE=RMoore007] After buying a new laptop last night for my road trip, one of the first threads I see is about traveling to Maine.
QUOTE]

Yes, a laptop... I am considering that as well. Bring plenty of raingear for Ohio, very damp these days. Good luck and stay safe!!
post #27 of 37 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 6:01 pm

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodoodrum
Okay...that's it!! I am outta here after labor day for Maine. I appreciate the supportive comments and suggestions. Should be a blast and a warm up for my eventual trip to Alaska (my dream), in 1-2 years or sooner. Want to do it before the LT gets up in the miles.

Where in Maine are you going? I live in Lewiston, and work in Portland. (originally from the County)

Mark Conlogue
MCSE, MCT
CEH (Certified Ethical Hacker)
CBCP

I take Life with a grain of salt......and a slice of lime and a shot of Tequila

20 grand & 2K miles don't make you a biker

I COULD TELL THEY WERE BIKERS,
IT SAID "LIVE TO RIDE" ON THEIR TRAILER
post #28 of 37 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 6:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
Where in Maine are you going? I live in Lewiston, and work in Portland. (originally from the County)
I'm going to Dover-Foxcroft. But I have a close friend in the Portland area that I plan on visiting for a few days or week. He's running a car dealership somewhere around Portland or Lewiston. He's from Lisbon Falls and went to High School with Steven King. I definately plan on looking you up Mark. I here you're a good cook and host. And I really like your sense of humor, being I'm also from Maine. I must get it. I was born in Dover but spent many years in Eliot and Kittery, too. My dad then moved us to Hartford where I graduated from High School.

Roger
BMW R1100RT '00
HumpDayDinnerClub

post #29 of 37 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 9:08 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconlogue
My final destination is Greenville on Moosehead Lake. My aunt went from living on the banks of the Suwannee River in N Florida to Greenville. She is now in the process of going south again. I'm sure Moosehead is gorgeous country, but a PITA in winter.
post #30 of 37 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 11:13 pm

Finished a rain free two-week, two nights in New Orleans, three in Albuquerque, cross country trip in May. GF met me in New Orleans we rode two-up to Jackson, MS (Natchez Trace) then to the gulf coast to a little west of Tallahassee I10 to Jacksonville, FL. Solo on return trip 60% of the trip was interstate & I've got the tires to prove it. Mileage varied from a low of 290 to a high of 860 which was interstate from Albuquerque to home, didn't plan that long of a day it just worked out. I never pushed myself I stopped when my neck got sore from cross winds or I got tired because of the heat and humidity. Much easier than riding with a group I like small groups for shorter trips.

Enjoy your trip.
post #31 of 37 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:50 am

Thumbs up Oregon to Maine

This September I'll be riding from Oregon to Maine....
White turkey drive-in in Conneaut, Ohio, Pick karen up at the airport in Erie, PA the off to Maine for a lobster dinner.
I'm leaving August 23 and plan to hit Erie Sept 3 (when her plane lands)
We can hook up if you want to ride together.
Going home the southern route thre New Mexico, Arizona

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #32 of 37 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:56 am

Thumbs up Toronto to Edmonton Solo

I am thinking about going from Toronto to Edmonton solo to have a coffee with my daughter. First stop will be Regina (1609 miles) for my Iron Butt GOLD attempt (1500 miles < 24 hrs). I have no problems with this, just get on and ride!!!

Follow my South America ride at

IBAID 26718
BMWMOA 117552
2011 K1600GTL RECEIVED April 30th, 2011 @ 1:30 pm
2012 RED KLR650

post #33 of 37 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:08 am
kip

lone riding

i think i prefer riding solo especially on longer trips....

no worries about when to stop or who might be tired or who wants to go how fast etc.....

i DO think its somewhat safer as far as other traffic goes when you are in a small group.....just better visibility etc......

id go off to maine or anywhere alone......i live just north of atlanta and im seriously wanting to ride out to visit my sister and back.....she lives in stockton, california.....just need to get enough time off.....

the way i look at it....its about the adventure.....u kno....hope for the best but be prepared for ...something less......and if something happens .....well....just deal with it when it does......

good luck......

Kip
99 LT
97 Shadow 1100
Jefferson, Ga
post #34 of 37 Old Jun 22nd, 2006, 1:52 pm

long way 'round

After viewing Long Way 'round, any trip in North America seems ...well..............
an outing.
It is about the adventure. That's why we ride motorcycles.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #35 of 37 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 9:22 am Thread Starter

I do believe they had a chase team which changes the equasion (sp) somewhat!
post #36 of 37 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 10:16 am

Have a lobster for me!
post #37 of 37 Old Jun 24th, 2006, 11:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spenceer
Have a lobster for me!
I am hoping to get my dinner plate filled a few times with fresh lobster. Taking extra cash for the occasion. Yum!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in