New England - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jun 16th, 2014, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

New England

This years LONG trips are out, so decided after looking at my states ridden in map to hit New England States in a 4 day loop. Going to leave PA and head for Conn., Mass. RI, Maine, VT & NH. So far it looks as though I'll stick close to hwy 1 and the water most of the ride, shoot back hwy 2 so I can ride up Mt. Washington.
Anyone have any "must see" places that I should likely meander to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Re: New England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teach View Post
This years LONG trips are out, so decided after looking at my states ridden in map to hit New England States in a 4 day loop. Going to leave PA and head for Conn., Mass. RI, Maine, VT & NH. So far it looks as though I'll stick close to hwy 1 and the water most of the ride, shoot back hwy 2 so I can ride up Mt. Washington.
Holy Crap, Batman! Rte 1 in Maine during summer? Yikes! +1

Okay, scenic. But... traffic?

It sorta depends on whatcha wanna do, "motorcycle" or "tourist"....
Just my personal preference, I look for motorcycle roads. The coastal route in nice off-season, but can be stop 'n go during the summer.

The ride up Mt. Washington can be memorable if you luck out and hit the good weather.
Come to think of it, it is more memorable if you don't hit the good weather.

Must-see? What do you like? Cultural, history, geologic? The Owlshead Transportation museum is really neat. Check out the "auto-car".

http://owlshead.org/

My preferences would have me heading for ME, NH, and VT to the exclusion of MA,CT, and RI. But that's just me. Maybe there's some neat stuff you want to see down there. But I'd go there in an RV. For motorcycling, I'd head for the hills.....
HTH
post #3 of 9 Old Jun 17th, 2014, 10:22 pm

Look up the New England Riders on Google. They have a website, Delphi forum, and Facebook presence. On their website, they have documented the Best Of New England (BONE) roads and restaurants. The roads are separated by state, so you could browse around and piece together a series of roads that would provide a great riding experience anywhere in New England. For example, if you want to ride up Mt. Washington, you're not that far from the Kancamangus Highway (one of the top roads in the lower 48).

post #4 of 9 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 7:16 am

Definitely love Rt. 100 in VT (any part of it). Also, Rt. 17 (Appalachian Gap) in Waitsfield, VT, is a don't miss. Enjoy.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #5 of 9 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 7:28 am

Quote:
Tim, I mapped out this yet to be ridden route. If you hit any of these spots let me know if they live up to the hype. I'm hoping to make this trip next year, early spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Airwolf - 2018 K1600GTL (planned acquisition!)
2005 Charcoal LT - 48K
2003 Antracite LT - 76K
2001 R1200C 24K
1999 Honda Magna - 5K (RIP)
post #6 of 9 Old Jun 18th, 2014, 9:44 am

Garage

Quote:
Did a similar loop only recently
Did it clockwise though. Route 6 in your state, 220 up to 17 thru Albany 7 to 9 in lower Vermont. Jump up to 2 all the way over to Bangor. Stopped off in the White Mountain Forest NH and if weather in your favor don't miss Mt. Washington like I did. Rode 1 and 3 to Acadia in ME. Then did the coast thing route 1 for most of the ride before hitting NY. Ride to top of Cadillac Mt. ME and their loop. Heck the whole island is even a bigger loop. That should fill up your 4 days just bank on fine weather.
ride safe
post #7 of 9 Old Jun 24th, 2014, 8:23 pm Thread Starter

I did 6 across PA since I have never reached the end of PA on 6. I backtracked after dropping into NJ just to tick it off the list. Headed back 6 to 652/52 to see Ft. Delaware. I stayed on 52 for a ways before picking up 44 over the mountain into Poughkeepsie. Took 44 out of Poughkeepsie and picked up 7 thru CT up through the Berkshires and VT. Stayed at St. Johnsbury and took a few different roads getting to Mt. Washington. Unfortunately they wouldn't allow bikes up due to 80mph winds gusting to 90. Continued on 2 over to Bangor & down 3(?) to Acadia NP. I back tracked from there, over I believe 216(?), a scenic road thru the White Mountains over to Lincoln. Caught parts of 89 & 91 heading back but was directed off on VT 131(?) and VT100 before being returned to 7/9 into Troy. I missed my turn off in Troy and went thru Schenectady where I picked up 88 down to 86 and back home.
So it appears I still have RI to knock off the list before I can lock the entire northeast. That's alright because this was more of a fact finding trip for a future ride with the Mrs to Acadia NP. Had a great time even if the last 3 hours was in the dark thru deer country.
post #8 of 9 Old Jun 26th, 2014, 10:47 am

The end of next week I'll be doing the east coast of Canada and heading down Hyw 1 to Boston the next weekend for a vintage scooter (Lambretta) rally. So keep the idea's and sources coming.

Cheers,
Tross

2002 K1200lt
2010 Piaggio MP3 500
1982 Lambretta GP225

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 Old Jun 27th, 2014, 7:16 am

If you come down RT 1 from the North stops in Bar Harbor (Acadia NP area) and Boothbay Harbor, a little further south, are nice places. I've been to Boothbay more often, restaurants, shops, boats to go whale watching, etc. Another place is Rockland depending on the time of your trip. They have an annual Lobster Festival and it runs from 30 July to 3 August. (They have a site on line.) It can be a bit commercial but still not a bad time to visit. Just below Rockland is the Owls Head Transportation Museum that is also a nice place you might like, with all forms or transportation to view. Enjoy and feel free to spend your $$$, the state needs the tourist dollars!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in