messenger13's last long LT ride? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Exclamation messenger13's last long LT ride?

Last Friday (6/9/06), I pulled outta Cleveland on my LT for what just might be the last long ride I take on a K1200LT. A few hours south of my home, I sealed the deal on my new '06 BMW K1200GT. (more on that later)

I rode through some backroads of Ohio that I've never ridden, as well as some riding through the mountains of West Virginia. Finally ended up at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah, North Carolina. I rode the Cherohala Skyway one last time with the LT, then headed back home.

A VERY eventful trip to say the least. (Some threads to follow.) But the LT turned 43K and once again, returned home without a single issue. Just miles of smiles, through sunshine and rain.

A part of me is going to miss the LT with it's gone . . . I'm sure of it. The BMW K1200LT has opened my eyes to LD Touring, and I like it! It has also introduced me to many friends, both online and in person. And for that, I'm grateful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 8:08 pm

Let me be the first to say....Congrats !!!! Maybe now is the time to do that photo journalist thing!!!

Airborne "Never Forget"
Vonore, TN

2003 LT-E "HLZ BNZ"
2004 Rune "PNS EXTN"
1970 ZA-50 "JR"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 8:30 pm

If I had your money I could afford to get a new K1200GT this year and then buy a new LT when they come out, in a couple of years.

Let me think what excuse you will use, hmmm, "My wife thought the new LT was more comfortable".

Better yet, get your butt to my location on the GT and prove to my wife she can stand over it and we will have one.

We have some wine!

post #4 of 11 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 8:48 pm

Joe stopped in Columbus for lunch on his way home today. We had a nice quasi-Chinese lunch at PF Chang's, during which I talked his ear off about HID lights, replacement brake pads, the Chicane tank bag, the Bead Rider seat cover, etc. He was probably thinging "WTH? I meet this guy for lunch and he doesn't shut up for an hour and a half!"

With Joe's new GT purchase he must be flush with cash, as he paid for lunch. Thanks again, Joe. Any time you want to stop by and repeat that feel free. If you decide to bring the GT down for Saturday's Tech Session we'll take some nice photos, trying not to drool on it.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
post #5 of 11 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 9:00 pm

Congrats Joe. Enjoy. Glad to see that more wifes are supportive of our hobbies and addictions.
post #6 of 11 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by airborneod
Let me be the first to say....Congrats !!!! Maybe now is the time to do that photo journalist thing!!!
Thanks David. Yes...a good time indeed. Perhaps a full ride report, 2-up, from both perspectives with pics.
post #7 of 11 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:38 pm Thread Starter

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by TandemCyclist
Better yet, get your butt to my location on the GT and prove to my wife she can stand over it and we will have one.

We have some wine!
Y'all got a spare bedroom in that rolling limo?!
post #8 of 11 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
Joe stopped in Columbus for lunch on his way home today. We had a nice quasi-Chinese lunch at PF Chang's, during which I talked his ear off about HID lights, replacement brake pads, the Chicane tank bag, the Bead Rider seat cover, etc. He was probably thinging "WTH? I meet this guy for lunch and he doesn't shut up for an hour and a half!"
Oh...did you say something?!

With Joe's new GT purchase he must be flush with cash, as he paid for lunch. Thanks again, Joe. Any time you want to stop by and repeat that feel free. If you decide to bring the GT down for Saturday's Tech Session we'll take some nice photos, trying not to drool on it.
Yes...drooling is good. Drooling ON it is bad. Very bad!

post #9 of 11 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 6:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by messenger13
Last Friday (6/9/06), I pulled outta Cleveland on my LT for what just might be the last long ride I take on a K1200LT. A few hours south of my home, I sealed the deal on my new '06 BMW K1200GT. (more on that later)

I rode through some backroads of Ohio that I've never ridden, as well as some riding through the mountains of West Virginia. Finally ended up at the Iron Horse Motorcycle Lodge in Stecoah, North Carolina. I rode the Cherohala Skyway one last time with the LT, then headed back home.

A VERY eventful trip to say the least. (Some threads to follow.) But the LT turned 43K and once again, returned home without a single issue. Just miles of smiles, through sunshine and rain.

A part of me is going to miss the LT with it's gone . . . I'm sure of it. The BMW K1200LT has opened my eyes to LD Touring, and I like it! It has also introduced me to many friends, both online and in person. And for that, I'm grateful.
If you made that the test ride for the GT, the Dealer would have a fit. Then come back and say, "I'll take one, but not this one, has alot of miles on it for a new bike!
Real riders never own the bike it owns them, your not called to the open road, it is your home.
To bad you have to let the LT go to score the GT.
See you this weekend
Rock
post #10 of 11 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 10:59 am

your route ?

I would be very interested in details of your route on this trip.
I am planning on riding from Chicago , thru Ohio and into the West Virginia and Virginia Mtns and then back ( 7 day trip) this summer. Did Deals Gap , Cherlolla and NC part of the Blue Ridge last year and loved it. Looking for a diff route this yr and understand the Pkwy in Va is prettier than NC.

Thanks
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 3rd, 2007, 3:53 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwalk
Looking for a diff route this yr and understand the Pkwy in Va is prettier than NC.
I've ridden both. Can't say one is better than the other, just different.

On His Ride,
Steve
-
KA5MTE
'02 LTE - Red-blooded Dragonfly
'00 Unigo - Dragon's Egg
'01 LTC - Flying Purple People Eater (Ya gotta be old enough to understand)(RIP)
'00 LTC - Canyon Red Rover (RIP)

Have you
bmwlt.com lately????

"To not know me is to lose nothing, to not know Him is to lose everything."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in