Roethlisberger Hurt in Motorcycle Crash - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 12:43 pm Thread Starter

Roethlisberger Hurt in Motorcycle Crash

By JOE MANDAK
Associated Press Writer

PITTSBURGH

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, who has said he dislikes wearing a motorcycle helmet, was seriously injured in a motorcycle crash and taken to a hospital Monday.

Dr. Larry Jones, chief of trauma at Mercy Hospital, said Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition in an operating room Monday afternoon. He was talking before he went into surgery, Jones said.

A pool of blood was found at the accident site.

"He was alert and conscious," said Ernie Roman, shift commander for the Allegheny County emergency service.

The crash happened at an intersection at the edge of downtown.

A silver Chrysler New Yorker with damage to the front passenger fender was removed and Roethlisberger's bike was loaded onto a flatbed truck. Police were detouring traffic around the crash scene as onlookers and media gathered.

In only his second year in the NFL, Roethlisberger helped guide the Steelers to the Super Bowl championship last season.

Calls to Roethlisberger's agent, Leigh Steinberg, were not immediately returned.

The 24-year-old Roethlisberger has said in the past that he prefers not to wear a helmet when riding his motorcycle. He has pointed out Pennsylvania's 35-year-old state law requiring helmets to be worn was amended to make helmets optional.

In May 2005, Steelers coach Bill Cowher lectured Roethlisberger on the dangers of riding without a helmet.

"He talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker. I'm pretty conservative and laid back, but the big thing is to just be careful," Roethlisberger said at the time. "I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we don't ever ride alone, we always ride in a group of people, and I think it makes it even more safe."

In May 2005, Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. tore knee ligaments in a motorcycle accident and was lost for the season.

Roethlisberger continued to ride after Winslow's accident and that angered Terry Bradshaw, who quarterbacked the Steelers to four Super Bowl victories during the 1970s.

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 1:09 pm

i guess he figured riding on asphalt and concrete without a helmet was much safer than playing football without pads and a helmet.

Maybe he and Gary Busey should form a no-helmet club.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'99K1200LT - "Bertha" - gone, but not forgotten!
'86 Concours - "Horse with no name" (under reconstructive surgery)
'06 K1200GT - "Road Rocket"
Marshall, Tx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 24 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 2:01 pm

Smile

Gary is now a believer and reformed after his accident.

O. K. Upchurch III
Irvine, California

2016 R1200gs
2000 K1200LT (Best Bike #1)
1997 R1100RT (Best Bike #2)
1995 K1100LT
1990 K75RT

post #4 of 24 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 2:03 pm

So, lessee....a pro football player earns obscene $$$ wearing a helmet. Same bozo does NOT wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle....

Idiot.
post #5 of 24 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 4:26 pm
Bouncer

novice rider + Hayabusa + no helmet = idiot with head injury

You would think a guy who makes his living wearing a helmet and getting hit by really big guys would understand this. But, alas, he doesn't even listen to his coach on such subjects.

'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #6 of 24 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 4:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
playing football without pads and a helmet.
In Europe we call it rugby!

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

post #7 of 24 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 5:00 pm

I would imagine there may also be contract implications to this as well.

For now though, I hope he recovers quickly and completely and perhaps will consider wearing a helmet in the fututre...
post #8 of 24 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 8:23 pm

I read an article about this accident in a Pittsburg newspaper. One line disturbed me in the article, it read...2005 Hayabusa 170HP is a popular bike with first time riders...

I wish Ben a speedy recovery, but I definately feel is injuries could have been less severe if he had a full face helmet at least.

We have a problem on a highway here in Birmingham (459) where mainly Hayabusa riders regularly attempt to set land speed records. Some have been clocked at 180+ MPH wearing shorts and a t-shirt. Too many times its during the afternoon rush hour. Helmet laws are mandatory here and MSF courses are offered 10 months of the year at 4 locations in the area. We also have Barber Motorsports Park here where some actually ride. Alabama State Patrol is fighting back with a sport bike equipped with all of the lights and equipment ridden by an ex-superbike racer with 2 decades of experience who is now an officer.

I hate to see anyone hurt, but I can't stand to see a novice rider on a bike like that as their first bike. I don't know how much riding experience he had, but he was given this bike by Suzuki last summer for some promotional work he did for them. Experienced or not, we have all been cut off like that at least once. Some have connected, some have missed.

Keep it safe, ATGATT

Dave
post #9 of 24 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 9:14 pm

Showing just how much I follow professional sports, when someone told me about this just an hour ago, my response was "Who?" Honestly have never heard his name before. Anyway... my two cents' worth:

I hope he recovers and goes on to have a long and successful pro athletic career.
I hope he has learned a lesson.
I'm wondering if this violates a term of his contract.
I hope he has invested wisely in case his career is over.
What a waste.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #10 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
novice rider + Hayabusa + no helmet = idiot with head injury

You would think a guy who makes his living wearing a helmet and getting hit by really big guys would understand this. But, alas, he doesn't even listen to his coach on such subjects.
Broken jaw and nose...

Sounds just like the kind of injuries he might have received even if he was wearing a helmet... An open faced one like many on this very list wear...

As I read the articles this morning it seems that the fact he was on a 'Busa had NOTHING to do with the CAUSE of the accident...failure of the cage driver to yield.

I ain't pickin' on you my brother, but it seems our ability to vent our "fury" on another motorcyclist is akin to our eating our own young...

Bottom line, as I read the reports, a car turned in front of Ben, who "happened" to be be on a 'Busa without a helmet. The injuries he sustained "reportedly" a broken jaw and nose "could" have also been sustained had be been wearing a Snell approved open faced or half helmet.

Mebbe we should be more pissed at the CAUSE of the wreck?????
post #11 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:16 am
Bouncer

Let's just say if he were wearing ATGATT, he probably woulda shook this off and it would have been a non-event.

Sure it's the lady's fault for turning into him (which happens much more often than it should), but the simple fact that having the right gear (full face helmet, protective jacket and pants, and boots), this probably would have been nothing but a simple uh-oh instead of a major oops.

"I am hoping for an asteroid impact to put all this climate change nonsense to bed."
-
post #12 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:23 am

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by k12steve
Broken jaw and nose...

Sounds just like the kind of injuries he might have received even if he was wearing a helmet... An open faced one like many on this very list wear...

As I read the articles this morning it seems that the fact he was on a 'Busa had NOTHING to do with the CAUSE of the accident...failure of the cage driver to yield.

I ain't pickin' on you my brother, but it seems our ability to vent our "fury" on another motorcyclist is akin to our eating our own young...

Bottom line, as I read the reports, a car turned in front of Ben, who "happened" to be be on a 'Busa without a helmet. The injuries he sustained "reportedly" a broken jaw and nose "could" have also been sustained had be been wearing a Snell approved open faced or half helmet.

Mebbe we should be more pissed at the CAUSE of the wreck?????

Well, I respectfully disagree on placing all the blame of the cause of the wreck on the lady driver. I tend to subscribe to the David Hough philosophy that ANY wreck is because the rider lost control of the situation.

But that's my opinion about motorcycling being all about control anyways. YMMV,
post #13 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljeffe
Let's just say if he were wearing ATGATT, he probably woulda shook this off and it would have been a non-event.

Sure it's the lady's fault for turning into him (which happens much more often than it should), but the simple fact that having the right gear (full face helmet, protective jacket and pants, and boots), this probably would have been nothing but a simple uh-oh instead of a major oops.
So I take it you'd still be hammerin' him if he'd had on a Snell approved open face helmet???

post #14 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:56 am
Bouncer

I probably would. Because I consider the use of anything other than a full face helmet sorta like unprotected sex. Sure, it's fun when it's great, but when it goes bad, the consequences could be fatal.

-
post #15 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 10:59 am

Coulda/shoulda

True, a broken nose and or jaw coulda happened even with a full face helmet but not nearly as likely. And I think he was extremely lucky to come through without a serious closed-head injury or even death, judging by the damage to the bike and car. I too was slightly incensed by the reference to the Hayabusa, had absolutely nothing to do with the accident. Lack of experience probably contributed to the severity (and I'll bet he never took an MSF course or any other riding lesson) of his injuries.

Jeff, I'm not sure it would have been a "non-event" judging by the damage, but I doubt that he would have been in surgery for 7 hours!!!

ATGATT.......

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas
post #16 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 11:13 am

Last night in the gym, ESPN was reporting this story and everybody and their brother had something to say. I had to hear about how their brother/sister/cousin/uncle got hurt on a motorcycle and how dangerous they are. I told everyone about the SUV that had flipped and ejected 5 passengers. Three of them were already covered with sheets when I drove by. Those SUVs/skateboards/sports cars/city buses are dangerous.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #17 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
True, a broken nose and or jaw coulda happened even with a full face helmet but not nearly as likely. And I think he was extremely lucky to come through without a serious closed-head injury or even death, judging by the damage to the bike and car. I too was slightly incensed by the reference to the Hayabusa, had absolutely nothing to do with the accident. Lack of experience probably contributed to the severity (and I'll bet he never took an MSF course or any other riding lesson) of his injuries.

Jeff, I'm not sure it would have been a "non-event" judging by the damage, but I doubt that he would have been in surgery for 7 hours!!!

ATGATT.......
For those who aren't following the other thread on this topic, I'll re-post here: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/gallery/2006/nfl-roethlisberger-wreck/flash.htm

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #18 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 3:29 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by McRuss
True, a broken nose and or jaw coulda happened even with a full face helmet but not nearly as likely.
ATGATT.......
Sorry Russ, but those are EXACTLY the types of injuries you get from a face plant (horizontal or vertical) with an open face helmet..

ATGATT...absoLUTELY!!!! But lets do without the government mandate...
post #19 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 8:36 pm

Helmet

Steve, sorry, I missread your post, thought you were refering to those injuries with any helmet (something our friends in ABATE would say.) I've crashed far too many times, always with full face helmet, have tossed away three that were ground down in the chinbar area as well as having impact damage. And a full face helmet has saved my jaw in a number of dirt crashes as well. BUT a friend did break his jaw and ocipital (??) bones in a horrendous dirt crash even with a full face helmet. Would have possibly been fatal in an open face.

And I dont like helmet laws either.....

Just old, clutchless and clueless
Russ Locke
Lakehills, Texas

Last edited by McRuss; Jun 13th, 2006 at 8:44 pm. Reason: Oops
post #20 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 9:10 pm

He wasn't licensed!

It was on tonights news that Roethlisberger had said in an interview that it was not a law to wear a helmet, and that if it was he would wear one. Well, it IS law in Pennsylvania to have a motorcycle license, which he did not have.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #21 of 24 Old Jun 13th, 2006, 9:21 pm

Well, looks like he probably WAS REQUIRED to have a helmet on!

From another web group:

From the PA helmet rules:
Riders NOT required to wear a helmet:

(2) A person 21 years of age or older who has been licensed to operate a motorcycle for not less than two full calendar years.
(3) A person 21 years of age or older who has completed a motorcycle rider safety course approved by the department or the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #22 of 24 Old Jun 14th, 2006, 7:16 am

Normally two idiots are involved in every accident!
post #23 of 24 Old Jun 21st, 2006, 9:42 pm

My two cents.. helmet and experience.... yes maybe more her fault but that's why you protect yourself b/c it happens... as for law.. I took the motorcycle rider safety course in PA (which is free, pass your permit test pay $10 and sign up FREE).. when I took it I had been riding for years more experience dirt bike, but I figured for my sake and I took my little brother.. best course, learning, experience I had ever had.. they teach you so much and they supply the motorcycle for which you to learn on... I think that everyone should have to take this before recieving a license.. you can't get a license to drive a car without riding around with a State Cop... so why a motorcycle... like I said, my opinion
post #24 of 24 Old Oct 9th, 2006, 4:25 pm

OLD thread, but current topic of discussion. Announcers last night were crediting the motorcycle accident to his current lack of successful performance on the football field...Dang sure couldn't have helped. He may be going through all kinds of sensations attributable to the wreck that he wouldn't dare admit to, or perhaps be benched and lose a few million bucks. And he could be suffering without knowing what its doing to him, or...Pitt may just be a lousy team this year!

Whatever, the Hurt report did a study of head injuries which is in Mr. Hough's book, 'the proficient motorcyclist'. It shows that about 46% of all of the injuries studied were in the facial area that is not covered by a...you guessed it, a half or open faced helmet. What the heck do you expect?

I'm currently wearing two helmets with bad scrapes along the chin guard, both were less than 10 mph lay downs. Helmets look like crap, but my face is still beautiful!

Pete Jessen
CCR 02, 03, 04, 08, 10

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in