Riding in the Rain Question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 6:57 am Thread Starter

Question Riding in the Rain Question

I'm curious .... After riding unexpectedly in the rain for a few hours yesterday afternoon and trying to see better, wanted to ask in general, what do you do to see better when it is raining? I normally wear sunglasses or clear lenses at night and have only the windshield blocking the wind and rain. I wear a 3/4 helmet.

If you ride with a full helmet, do you lower the windshield so that there is only one layer to get wet and see through? After struggling with sunglasses that got wet and the wet windshield, I'm thinking it's now time for a full size helmet? Wet season is upon us in Florida.

By the way, I normally try to stay out of and avoid the rain.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 7:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
I'm curious .... After riding unexpectedly in the rain for a few hours yesterday afternoon and trying to see better, wanted to ask in general, what do you do to see better when it is raining?

If you ride with a full helmet, do you lower the windshield so that there is only one layer to get wet and see through? After struggling with sunglasses that got wet and the wet windshield, I'm thinking it's now time for a full size helmet? Wet season is upon us in Florida.

By the way, I normally try to stay out of and avoid the rain.
When I was wearing a 3/4 helmet I would put the windshield all the way up and look through it. That was less than satisfactory, especially if the rain was mixing with bugs on the windshield.

I've been wearing a full helmet the past few months. When it rains I look over the windshield, but just barely. Having an adjustable windshield is a godsend. In the rain I don't care to look through both the visor (which is going to have rain on it anyway) and the windshield (rain on it, too, of course).

At STC II we had rain for most of that event and I guess I got over my reluctance to ride in the rain. While I will always prefer a sunny day to a rainy day to ride in, I don't mind the rain so much. With the appropriate gear and adjustment of your riding style and speed it's not bad; and, the funny looks from people in cars makes it worth it. I feel like a little kid dressed in a rain slicker looking for a big puddle to jump into. I find myself saying "Bring it!" to the rain clouds.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[/URL]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 7:33 am
Cat Herder

When it's raining there are three things I'm doing

a) putting on raingear (helps tremedously)
b) Put the windshield all the way DOWN aand try to keep the speed up above 30mph
c) in preparation of the rain I use a product caled Rain-Kote which is similar to Rain-X just specially for plastic Visors

The most important here is to put the windshoield DOWN. The windblast gets the raindrops off the visor.

post #4 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 7:54 am Thread Starter

thanks all

Thanks Andy. That sort of what I thought. Guess I'm off to the toy store for a new 1/1 helmet.

Yes it was fun in a weird way watching the reactions of those surrounded by glass and metal and it wasn't too bad in the rain. Just takes a while to get used to it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 8:23 am

I wear a 3/4 helmet with a shield. The shield stays up except for rain, then the windshield & helmet shield goes down.
post #6 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 11:29 am

I agree with every one. I wear a "flip helmet" by HJC, theres others out there. HJC has a 3/4 that has a shield that flips up and down and is lighter then the full/flip.I wear prescription glasses and know that I can wipe rain off the shield but not easy to clean the glasses on the "fly". Hope this helps.
post #7 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
What Rain?
If you need some, we up here in New England will be glad to send you our surplus!
post #8 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 1:18 pm

OK, send it !!

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #9 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 4:25 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
What Rain?

Rain from Naples to Tampa yesterday............. Ain't complaining though. We really needed it.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #10 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 4:50 pm

What Rain??

I got pounded yesterday riding from West Palm Home to Daytona on I-95. Off and on hard driving rain with occasional 20-30 mph cross winds that kept me on my toes and finger tips. I keep my HJC flip visor just cracked open to help prevent fogging and my Cee Bailey -5 all the way down. Then follow the fastest moving sane cager I can find to keep from getting run over. -Chuck-
post #11 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 5:48 pm

I ride with a flip up, usually shield open, windshield up about an inch. When in rain I drop the windshield to bottom close the helmet shield or to the first click, and when I need spots cleaned off, I just close it and stand up. I sit up straighter in the rain so I can see over the windshield (5'9)
Works for me!
post #12 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 6:10 pm
Rider Journeyman

Rain technique..

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
.... After riding unexpectedly in the rain for a few hours yesterday afternoon and trying to see better, wanted to ask in general, what do you do to see better when it is raining? ...
...By the way, I normally try to stay out of and avoid the rain.
Howdy Dan,
-Windshield all the way down.
-Anti-fog (Cat Crap) on the inside of the shield and have closed.
-BMW gloves that have a rain squeegee on the left index finger.
-Keep the speed up if possible to blow the rain off the shield.
-At lower speeds use the index finger squeegee.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #13 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 6:54 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Howdy Dan,
-Windshield all the way down.
-Anti-fog (Cat Crap) on the inside of the shield and have closed.
-BMW gloves that have a rain squeegee on the left index finger.
-Keep the speed up if possible to blow the rain off the shield.
-At lower speeds use the index finger squeegee.
...and one gear lower than usual when you want to "bite", grip the road better...

Yarko
'05 Dark Gray LT

post #14 of 14 Old Jun 12th, 2006, 7:14 pm

First = full face SHOI helmet. Depends on the traffic; around town/city driving - windshield down; face shield down looking over the top of windshield.

Highway @ 65+MPH; windshield up (rain diverts over the top) and truck spray has less impact; face shield down (sometime open 1/4 inch) depending on the temperature. Coldwater sailing gloves & First Gear Kilamanjaro rain suit.

Last Sat return from CT tech session in the rain. Americade this past week was very wet. Lots of cold rain experience here.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in