Battery Draining after iPhone Charger Installed - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 4th, 2014, 6:23 pm Thread Starter

Battery Draining after iPhone Charger Installed

Here are the details:

2008 K1200 GT purchased from BMW of Ventura in Oct of 2013

Original OEM Battery failed 2 months later, replaced with the Odyssey PC 680 Battery. All good for 14 months.

Then I had the dealer BMW of Ventura install a powerlet iPhone 5 battery harness in March of 2014. This was to deliver power to my iPhone mounted in a ZTechnik holder. All worked perfectly for 2 months.

This weekend I return (begin away from the bike for 4 weeks), I have dead battery? Now, I jump the battery and recharge it. As I am recharging the bike again, I plug in the iPhone and go riding. About an hour into the drive, the iPhone signals that it is low on battery? I've got it plugged in? WTF?

Now the BMW service team told me that with the powerlet battery harness I cannot leave the iPhone plugged into the power while the engine is off because it will run the battery down. OK. I get that. But can the power harness somehow draw down the battery just sitting there with nothing connected?

Any help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 4th, 2014, 7:46 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Re: Battery Draining after iPhone Charger Installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubioRyder View Post
But can the power harness somehow draw down the battery just sitting there with nothing connected?
Yes, it's possible.

What the harness does is convert the bike's normal 12Vdc down to the 5Vdc that the iPhone needs. That internal circuitry can still draw some small amount of power even when the iPhone is not plugged in.

Is this the harness that they installed, with a direct-to-battery hookup?

A power harness like that needs to be installed on a switched circuit that goes completely dead when the key is off. You can use an existing CanBus switched circuit (like the GPS plug or extra power port plug), but sometimes that extra draw tricks the CanBus into keeping that port open longer (like it does for the CanBus battery charger). This can run down your battery, even with the key off.

A second choice is to use a relay that's only switched on when the key is on (and even better, only when the engine is actually running). This is a slightly more complicated (and thus slightly more expensive) install.

The best option is to add a separate fuse block that has relay switched circuits that go completely off when the key is off. This also adds expense, but is the best solution, especially if you want to add additional accessories (GPS, lights, heated gear, etc.).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 5 Old May 5th, 2014, 8:37 am

For what it's worth, not sure why but I've had good luck charging multiple devices over night using the bike battery with no problem. I have a SENA head set, an SR10 two way radio adapter, and a Bluetooth transmitter connected to the rear radio speaker circuit. I use a multi point USB connector plugged into a 12 v outlet connected directly to the battery to charge all three devices over night. Used this set up many times on extended trips and so far have had no battery issues.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

post #4 of 5 Old May 5th, 2014, 9:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Ken is correct. A voltage supply which does not have a switch on it (whether it's a DC rectifier or an AC transformer) will draw power all the time. The amount it draws will vary with the load, but it'll normally kill your battery in a week or less.

Another good way to visualize this is to understand that the LT has a 19 amp hour battery. You get one amp for 19 hours or 19 amps for one hour and it's dead. A tenth of an amp gets you 190 hours. A hundredth of an amp gets you 1900 hours or less than three months before your battery is completely dead. S0... a few hundredths of an amp isn't much, but it'll kill your battery in a week or two when you add it in to what the memory section of the engine controller draws.

Like Lynn I charge things overnight and have had no problems, but the power supply does not remain attached after the I-pod is unplugged.

post #5 of 5 Old May 5th, 2014, 10:36 am Thread Starter

Ken

Yes, this is exactly the assembly they put on the bike. Ok so I need to have a separate fuse block installed. got it. Thank a lot. Really!

Reed

Tags
dead battery-iphone plug?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in