Battery- Odyssey vs Panasonic vs BMW- - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 6:44 am Thread Starter

Battery- Odyssey vs Panasonic vs BMW-

OK, I need a battery.

Seen the post for the Odyssey, the Panasonic LCX1220P, and of course the BMW stock.

The bike is a late 2003 and has the BMW Gel and I use the BMW charger for it when needed.

Question: will they all work?

My understanding is that the BMW one truely likes a lower max charging voltage? So, if a Odyssey likes a higher one, will it charge OK at the lower voltage that the bike apparently puts out?

the Panasonic is about 20 amps instead of the stock 16. This would be nice. Always felt the stock battery needer more power/life.

A friend says he had problems with the Odyssey after just one yr- ABS light kept coming on. Mechanic blamed Odyssey and Odyssey help desk was very rude.

There is a huge price difference-

By the way, Digi-Key shows the Panasonic out of stock till 10/2006!!! Know any other sources?

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 7:04 am

I bought the Odyssey because it sounds like that is the way many on this site have gone. I bought it locally for about half of what the BMW would have cost. The original lasted more than 6 years and I never used a charger.
The Odyssey sounds to be even better.

I have only been using it since about last Christmas but I haven't had any problem with it. I have heard of people having problems with every brand. That is what warranty's are for.
post #3 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 7:13 am

I know I am going to get shelled for this but here goes anyway. I do not like gel batteries. To expensive and usually do not last as long as a sealed lead acid battery. They must be charged at a lower voltage than lead acid or they quickly become expensive paper weights. For the money I like the panasonic, I also have had good luck with the westco battery. Get a good quality SEALED lead acid battery and you'll be okay.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:29 am
Gold Supporter

BMW battery

The Panasonic Battery is available from [url]www.batteryweb.com/bmwclub.cfm
for $70. Panasonic makes the Westco Battery.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT

Last edited by hp1bmw; Jun 5th, 2006 at 10:36 am. Reason: Mistake in web address
post #5 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:43 am

I have the Odissey now for 3 years and I'm very happy with it.
Once I left the bike too long at the garage, with the at that time Ice>Link on, so it drains the battery almost complete (was 3.74V when I find out).
I charged the battery, almost with no hope, but it got carged and has been keeping like always, so seams that the battery sustained no demaged...

--------------------------------
Elton 'StrsOut' Marks '02 Silver-Member #337 (or 287?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 LT - 62,394 miles as of 08/05/2007
2003 GS - 20,960 miles as of 07/11/2008
Loma Linda - CA
IBA#14,458 - AMA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 11:32 am

Try the Panasonic Battery from Digikey it is $47.00 Delivered to your door. I suspect that Panasonic makes the Odyssey Batttery and several others.
I have used these batteries in two LT's and a couple R1150rt's and they work perfect and also do not require a special charger.
The one they have in stock is the 17 ahr for $38.76.
post #7 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 1:50 pm
was

I've been very happy with the Odyssey 680. Bought it over a year ago when the positive post of the Westco battery that was in the bike when I bought it sheared off dead level with the battery top. I won't get Westco again. I have not used a trickle charger, and the Odyssey has started the bike every time, even in winter after being in the parking lot at work for 10+ hours in below freezing temps. The only time I failed it was when I used the kickstand to turn off the bike and did not see that the headlight still was on (for 30+ hours or so). I got tired of waiting to see if it would recharge on a trickle charger and jumped it from a car battery. It's still doing fine after that.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #8 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 2:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny
Try the Panasonic Battery from Digikey it is $47.00 Delivered to your door. I suspect that Panasonic makes the Odyssey Batttery and several others.
I have used these batteries in two LT's and a couple R1150rt's and they work perfect and also do not require a special charger.
The one they have in stock is the 17 ahr for $38.76.
Odyssey makes their own batteries. The parent company used to be Hawker Energy Systems, who was big in military and standby power systems, now the parent company is Enerysys.
http://www.enersys.com/default.asp

The Odyssey, Westco, and Panasonic are all AGM batteries, which I would prefer over GEL, as the BMW is.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 2:51 pm

+1 Odyssey PC680. I'd say, I was swayed by the popular vote !!!

Prakash Krishnamurthy

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

post #10 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 9:08 pm

For what it's worth

For what it's worth:

I know of one BMW dealer that will not sell the Odyssey because they have had too many problems with them. Then, I know of another BMW dealer that don't sell the BMW gel, too many problems, as they will only sell the Odyssey!

Go figure!
post #11 of 13 Old Jun 5th, 2006, 10:01 pm

I popped in the Oddyssey and the troubles began....flashing ABS lights with no error code, then theHID's stopped working...and then the generator shaft broke.

Can't see how the generator shaft breaking could be blamed on the battery...but it happened after changing the battery and not before. Since repairing that and replacing the PC680 with a BMW battery - no problems. except not enough time to ride.
post #12 of 13 Old Jan 2nd, 2010, 10:00 pm

Re: BMW battery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hp1bmw
The Panasonic Battery is available from [url]www.batteryweb.com/bmwclub.cfm
for $70. Panasonic makes the Westco Battery.

The website shown above offers free shipping to BMW club members. I haven't placed an order yet, but plan too in the near future.

Bob Brendel
05 LT, Light Metallic Yellow
99 LT, Totaled 3/09
97 HD Former Work Bike
88 GL1500
84 GL1200
S3 400 Kaw, too long ago to remember the year
175 Yamaha even longer

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night

Only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

George Orwell
post #13 of 13 Old Jan 4th, 2010, 11:49 pm

Re: Battery- Odyssey vs Panasonic vs BMW-

I just did the swap from OEM gel to Odyssey. Purchased the Odyssey from Batteries Plus and would recommend them since they are found everywhere and they'll cover the warranties NQA! Two year warranty, and ~$40 less expensive than the BMW OEM juice box....I'm pleased with it. Spoke with the former WestCo dealer near Houston, Tx and found they began having significant return rates and requests for warranty exchanges.....when WestCo switched its manufacturing to VietNam the quality evidently went downhill. That same dealer now stocks and sells Odyssey....but I went with Batteries Plus for ease of access.
Good luck with the search.

There are two kinds of motorcyclists.....those that ride BMWs....and those that wish they did!

Later,
BlauBeeMr
1999 Basalt Grau K1200LT

2004 Desert Tan M2A3 (Jul 2005 - Apr 2008)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in