Help please with dead battery/electrical question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 28th, 2006, 12:01 pm Thread Starter

Help please with dead battery/electrical question

The other morning I left the key on. ran the battery down. hooked up a charger and attemted to jump start my K1200LT 1999 model. Everything shut down. It was dark and I didn't have time to mess with it. Yesterday I disconnected all the terminals to the battery and trickle charged it all night. Today, I started to replace all the terminals and with I touched one of the positive wires (with all the negatives connected), my starter began running. It quit when I pulled it off the positive terminal. The bike was in neutral. no key was in the ignition nor was it turned on. I've checked all the fuses and they appear good. but I have not been able to check any relay's yet. Does this sound like I've messed some relays up? I know the bike has an electrical box with the relays, just haven't located it yet. Any information will be helpful. thanks! craig
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 28th, 2006, 12:12 pm

This is kinda besides the point...but WHY are you connecting the positive lead LAST?! ALWAYS connect it first . . . and disconnect it last. Expecially with the frame being so close to the positive terminal.

As for your question, sounds like the starter relay is stuck. I would think if the battery was charged enough, it would fix that. Others will advice from their experience.
post #3 of 9 Old May 28th, 2006, 12:38 pm

Stuck Starter Relay...

Joe' s correct, you have a stuck starter relay. Your '99 probably didn't get the newer style relay installed when the refit program was available.

Here's what you have to do:
1. Disconnect battery leads and fully charge your battery
2. Attach the Positive lead - FIRST
3. Attach the Negative lead
4. When the starter motor STARTS to spin, press and hold in the STARTER BUTTON. That should free up the relay.

You should speak with your dealer about a new relay, but the real problem is allowing the battery voltage to get too low.

There are numerous posts on this in the HOW under Troubleshooting/Electrical

Good luck!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 7:24 am Thread Starter

Thank you~

I appreciate all your information. I'm still working on it. craig
post #5 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 7:28 am

You may want to try jumping your LT with your car. It's totally safe, and your car's charging system may be just what the doctor order for unsticking that relay.
post #6 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 8:57 am Thread Starter

I've recharged the battery...

using a trickle charger the other night. so my battery is back up. i'm just trying to chase down all the problems of starter continuously running. a short inthe head light. etc. and hopefully before the ROT rally this weekend.....
I am not having a good week so far. lol.
but I do appreciate everyone's advice........craig
post #7 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 5:06 pm

Maybe some one with first hand knowledge will chime in here, But I believe Joe is correct. In the earlier models when the battery got low it would "weld" the contacts of the relay together and therefore continous starter ingagement. I suggest hooking up your fully charged battery pos side first. Then you may be able to hold the neg side in place with one hand (an arc will occur) with the other hand try cycling the starter switch on and off a few times in an attempt to free up the starter relay. I hear the relay is a bit pricey. Somewhere here in the past I read about some one finding a cheaper aftermarket relay. Not sure about the details though.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892
post #8 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
Maybe some one with first hand knowledge will chime in here, But I believe Joe is correct. In the earlier models when the battery got low it would "weld" the contacts of the relay together and therefore continous starter ingagement. I suggest hooking up your fully charged battery pos side first. Then you may be able to hold the neg side in place with one hand (an arc will occur) with the other hand try cycling the starter switch on and off a few times in an attempt to free up the starter relay. I hear the relay is a bit pricey. Somewhere here in the past I read about some one finding a cheaper aftermarket relay. Not sure about the details though.
There is a relay kit which adds circuitry to disable the relay if the voltage is too low, preventing welding of the contacts.

Not sure how much it is now, but in '01 I think it was about $130. Kit is a different relay and socket, and wiring harness.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 9:12 pm Thread Starter

it's fixed!

Thank y'all for all your advice. I also called the dealership's shop and they said my starter cylinoid (spelling) was stuck. So I was able to get a tire tool on it through the left side and hit the crap outta it. I also put in the original starter relay and hooked it all back up. The thing is acting normal again. So as of right now, I"m back in service. Will be leaving Thursday for Austin for the ROT rally. Thanks again! craig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in