Bmw Battery Charger - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old May 26th, 2006, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

Bmw Battery Charger

Just out of curiosity, I hooked up the new BMW charger to the bike after a 20 mile drive to work with a short stop at Safeways. It took almost 7.5 HOURS for the light to go green!! Did that every day for a week.....and it never took less time.........no matter how far the drive to or from work. The battery would always show 12.9 volts prior to hook-up. Upon disconnecting from the charger it would be at 13.9 or 14.0V. What gives? Any ideas?

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 26th, 2006, 3:01 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

You have:

A) parasitic drain

B) bad battery

C) forgetting to lock the handlebar

It's most probably (B).

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 9 Old May 26th, 2006, 3:41 pm Thread Starter

I do need to perform a simple test one of these days...... when the battery is sitting at 13.9V, (fully charged) I'm supposed to hit the starter and fire it up for a second.....shut it off, and then check the charge again to see what it says. The tech at the dealership asked me to do this, and record what the numbers are....and let him know. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

I never lock the forks unless I'm "out and about".......why would that make a difference? Are there things that have juice to them, when not locked, and no juice when locked? Interesting........

Patterson/USAF1....'05 LT
and the little guy behind me is the world famous "Marty Hill"
Never look into a lazer with the remaining eye
363K on BMW's

post #4 of 9 Old May 26th, 2006, 4:20 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Locking the handlebar kills power to almost all items on the bike. There are a few things that still get power when the ignition is off and the handlebar is not locked.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #5 of 9 Old May 27th, 2006, 7:39 am

I have been wondering the same thing Patterson. After my 35 mile ride home from work I put ole "Beemer" in the garage and hook the Battery Tender for Gel Batteries up to her and the light blinks for, not sure how many hours. In the morning it is solid green (fully charged). I would think it would be fully charged when I got home.

And Raffy, I gotta know, what things remain powered on the bike when the key is in the off position and not in the fully locked position?

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #6 of 9 Old May 27th, 2006, 8:55 am

I only use my charger if I won't be riding the bike for a week or more. I think using it when you are riding every day or at least a couple days a week may be covering up another problem. If the battery is dead in a couple of days it is going bad & needs to be replaced or you have something else wrong draining it. On the other hand in cold weather, which we don't have much of, I would plug it in.

Big-E

1996 Kawasaki Vulcan 800
2001 Yamaha Venture- most comfortable bike on the road- Gone
2004 Honda Goldwing- Didn't like it- Gone
2005 BMW K1200LT- Great bike!- Lives on with another member
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14- Loving it for now
1998 Suzuki Bandit S-1200- Fun, just got it.
post #7 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 11:11 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dochatley
And Raffy, I gotta know, what things remain powered on the bike when the key is in the off position and not in the fully locked position?
The radio and alarm have power even with the key off. There are other things, but I can't remember and don't have my schematic handy.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 1:43 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
The radio and alarm have power even with the key off. There are other things, but I can't remember and don't have my schematic handy.
DUH....., I listen to my radio while I fuel up and key is off. Never thought about it being powered. WHERE IS MY BRAIN

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #9 of 9 Old May 30th, 2006, 10:05 pm

Do you know that you can just turn the key about 30 deg CCW from the off pos (as far as it will go with the bars centered) and the power is cut to the radio and CD player!! Try it with the radio playing and you will see what I mean. I do that when I share the charger with another toy for a few days.
Also as has been noted, an old tired battery will take longer to obtain the required voltage then a new healthy battery. That is why I bought a new battery after 5 years and instead of taking over night to go green, it only took a few hours or less with the same type of riding pattern. Barnett

"The idea is to die young as late as possible"

Barney Rubble (rider); Wilma Flintstone (pillion).
2000LTC CHAMPAGNE, Most prominent color at early CCR's
BMWMOA 89402

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in