Charging Via The Rear Jack? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old May 2nd, 2006, 2:51 pm Thread Starter

Charging Via The Rear Jack?

Sorry if this question has been asked before - I'm new here.

Over the last few years I have routinely plugged my Battery Teder Plus into the rear power accessory jack of my 2002 K1200LT-C using a cable I built with the BMW connector.

This past weekend, my local dealer told me that the rear jack should not be used for this as it does not pass power back to the battery - I'm guessing he's suggesting there's a diode on there somewhere. He said that the charger should only be connected to the front jack.

Using the rear jack has always seemed to work just fine.

He also said that the Battery Tender Plus was not the best choice as the battery on my bike is 13.8V and the BTP is only putting out 12V. Again, I've been using this charger for 3 years and have never had any issues. I'm just curious.

Can anyone confirm or deny this information?

Thanks,
Matt
2002 K1200LT-C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old May 2nd, 2006, 2:58 pm

So if it's been working why give credit to the dealer knowing more than you ?

The rear jack while maybe not a dirrect connect to battery and not able to run high current, will tackle low current trickle charge duty just fine.

IMHO.
Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
T
wisties Required

post #3 of 5 Old May 2nd, 2006, 3:20 pm

I've used mine for two years now through the rear jack. The lights on the charger indicate it is recognizing that a battery is present, hooked up properly and then goes into the appropriate charge cycle, either full charge, 80% trickle or monitoring. I don't think it could do all of this if it was not connected to the battery. Like the others have said, I'd stay with it.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"

post #4 of 5 Old May 2nd, 2006, 5:08 pm

The rear socket is linked through the ignition switch so if you lock the steering you'll isolate the socket. While the switch is in the accessory position it will charge the battery just fine. The front socket seems to be always on so I guess your dealer's about half right.

Keith

UK 2004 K1200LT Lux - Katie

post #5 of 5 Old May 3rd, 2006, 9:47 am

Dave, have you used your solar unit as a trickle charger while the bike is setting still? I seem to remember you using it as a supplemental charger while traveling. Any details?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveDragon
I've charged the LT battery using front & back acc plugs with no issue.
Trust your experience.

Edgar Tanner
2009 Piaggio MP3 500
2003 Titan Silver LTC (Angel-returned to the heavens)
2000 Basalt LTC (Down for the count)
Kansas City, MO 64153

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in