Battery tester - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 12:56 am Thread Starter

Battery tester

Recently I've been reading about newer type of batteries vrs AGM.

It seems that for what we need, power to crank our starters the newer LiPoFe type batteries do very well but are not suited for use with a trolling motor.

The amp-hour and CCA, cold cranking amps rating a re more suited to lead-acid and AGM. The newer batteries can heat themselves up prior to being used to start on very cold mornings, colder than I'll be starting my LT to go for a ride.

One company in the USA that builds these batteries has a nifty charger that will balance charge each cell in array of their batteries, and it will also balance discharge each cell and then balance charge them up again.

I assume that the "battery" will last longer, deliever the cranking capacity longer if each cell can be brought to the same voltage since they should have the same internal resistance, and that when their voltage is not the same the lower voltage one(s) are "called upon" to deliever more amperage than higher voltage ones?

Also mentioned is that if a charger, a trickle charger cuts off before 14.6 V, it cannot fully charge the newer batteries.

Today while thumbing through a mag I discovered that a company called "West Mountain Radio" sells a CBA-IV battery analyzer that one can set for amp-hour and discharge rate which is useful to help gauge if its time to replace rechargable batteries, like auto and mc ones.

The author tested NiMH batts vrs Alky and discovered that the new ones come close to their 2.6 Ah ratings of Alks, they have twice the capacity of Alks and a more consistent voltage during discharge time.

The article will be on the ARRL website, www.ARRL.org but I don't know if non-members can read the article.

Best from tucson
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Oct 28th, 2013, 9:38 pm

Re: Battery tester

I used to pay a lot of attention to that stuff when I built custom flashlights (some LED, some silly halogen stuff that you can use to start fires, literally, some with aircraft landing lights, etc).
Now I just put an Odyssey in the thing and ride it. When the makers change starter batts I'll know the next technology is ready for prime time. Don't want to be a beta tester on my wheels and don't need any of the expensive electronic testers coming out to tell if a cranking batt is in good shape or not..

Never hurts to read and learn though.
post #3 of 3 Old Oct 28th, 2013, 10:15 pm Thread Starter

Re: Battery tester

For me the interesting information was the claim that discharging and recharging the battery extended it's life, AND the ability to charge each cell to the same voltage.

Significant? Dunno?
Bob

"He was a foul caricature of himself, a man with no soul, no inner convictions, with the integrity of a hyena, and the style of a poison toad." H. S. Thompson

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in