Routine battery replacement? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:14 am Thread Starter

Question Routine battery replacement?

My 2002 LT is 3.5 years old with the original battery. It has never been low, as I keep a battery tender on it all the time when not riding. It starts briskly and there is no indication of any problem. I check the fluid regularly.

When should one replace a battery just because? I've notice in my cars, they just die without warning. I'm leaving on a 6,000 mile trip, May 31st, to northern AZ, southern UT and southwestern CO. I don't like to waste money, but on the other hand, I don't like to be stranded.

What would you do?

Dick Wood
2014 R1200RTW Quartz Blue Metallic
Previous2008 Aventurin Silver Metallic K1200GT
Previous 2002 Toscana Green LTE
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:19 am

Cool

Hmmmmm....
mine is two years old and got me to thinkin that a replacement might be very prudent. The cost of the new battery is probably less than a tow if away from home...sooooooo, guess I will ante up myself!

Seems prudent if yer going on an extended trip, too.

JMTCW...
post #3 of 11 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:32 am

[QUOTE=.

When should one replace a battery just because? I've notice in my cars, they just die without warning. I'm leaving on a 6,000 mile trip, May 31st, to northern AZ, southern UT and southwestern CO. I don't like to waste money, but on the other hand, I don't like to be stranded.

What would you do?[/QUOTE]

I suspect that you will get opinions ranging from "I'm on my 8th year on the same battery" to "That worthless battery lasted less than a year". The bottom line is that there is no reliable method to determine down-the-road longevity. Knowing a battery's history and the reputation of it's manufacturer can give you an educated guess, but in the final analysis, it boils down to what "peace of mind" is worth to you.

Get an Odyssey or Westco and fuggediboudit, enjoy the trip!

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA

post #4 of 11 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 10:41 am

Just an opinion, but I would just get an Odyssey and replace it, go for another 3-4 years easily, probably longer. The Odyssey will outlast the original wet lead/acid type, with no watching of water level.

I actually replaced a 3 year old Odyssey with a new one before a long trip. That old one is still starting my lawn tractor 2 years later, and it sits for weeks with no charger, starts the tractor easily.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 11 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:31 pm Thread Starter

Interesting

I was just talking with WestCo battery about a replacement for my LT. He said that the WestCo battery is not a Gel battery and that I can continue to use the Battery Tender JR that I have without any problems.

He also said that if the battery I currently have is working fine and I've been maintaining it, he would not replace it until I notice it was doing something funny.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #6 of 11 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:46 pm Thread Starter

Interesting, again

I just got off the phone with BMW of Atlanta. They have the Odyssey 680 for $113.00 and the adaptor bracket for $3.00. They also told me that the battery I have should be good for at least 4 years, if I've been maintaining it properly.

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #7 of 11 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 12:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWDOC
I was just talking with WestCo battery about a replacement for my LT. He said that the WestCo battery is not a Gel battery and that I can continue to use the Battery Tender JR that I have without any problems.

He also said that if the battery I currently have is working fine and I've been maintaining it, he would not replace it until I notice it was doing something funny.
The Westco battery is an AGM type, same as the Odyssey. Neither requires a special charger as the Gel types do.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 11 Old Apr 21st, 2006, 1:01 pm

Sounds like good advice. The Westco is an AGM (absorbed glass mat) battery, not a gel.
At 3 1/2 years, yours probably is OK, as long as you're prepared to replace it on the road if it decides to die a sudden death. Personally, I'd go with it for anything other than a big timed ride or a rally.

-tom

Tom and Rosie Sperry
IBA 303, 304
Hanford, CA
post #9 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 9:39 pm Thread Starter

Well, I'm gonna get a new battery.

Today, I put a 3 year old battery back in my jet ski, after taking it out last fall. I always charge it every month while it's out of the ski. I charged it last night, green light was on this am, so I put it in the jet ski. Spun the starter like a jet turbine. When I got fuel to the carb she fired right off and ran great. I took a ride around the lake and stopped a few times. Each time it fire off like a brand new battery. However, the last time I stopped, damn thing went deader than a doornail. Must of shorted a cell. I had to get someone to take me to a local bait shop and call my wife to come pick me up. Then, take the boat and haul it back to the boat house.

Now this is not something I do not want happening, in southern Utah, out in the middle on nowhere. I ordered a WestCo battery tonight for the ole LT. Now, I only have to worry about the final drive!

Dick Wood
Previous 1995 HD FXDL
IBA #7393

post #10 of 11 Old Apr 23rd, 2006, 9:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The Westco battery is an AGM type, same as the Odyssey. Neither requires a special charger as the Gel types do.
David, can you use the Battery Tender made for BMW Gel Batteries on an Odyssey battery?

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #11 of 11 Old Feb 14th, 2007, 8:40 am

LT Battery crap shoot !

Gentlemen:

I just purchased my 2001 BMW K1200LT "Grace" in January.
After riding around the first week by Friday the battery was dead.
I knew the seller had kept his on the tender always if not riding.

Similar to everyone else if not left on the tender it does not start.
Reading here from the infinite wisdom I found there are parasitic drains, etc on the battery even when off. Although some can go forever off with no battery tender and no problem, Hummmm......

I am taking out the less than 1 year old BMW gel that came with the bike.
I also was given the BMW battery charger.

After reading and getting much the same input here.
I have purchased the Odyssey PC-680 with brass L connectors and from Portable Power Systems online for $76.
I also found the new EnerSys Ultimizer 6 amp battery charger that is made specifically for the Odyssey batteries.

Today I will give my sweet heart a gift and following the instructions I found here online, using the 9v battery trick, install the new battery.

I shall report back over the next month if in fact the change has proven to be the end all be all, giving me peace of mind, endless power, and ready to ride to the moon and back!

To Be Continued:

Johnny B. Surfing
Fort Myers Beach Florida.
2001 BMW K1200LT "Grace"

"Life is a journey, not a destination!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in