How much can a battery take?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2012, 4:55 pm Thread Starter

How much can a battery take??

I have added a trailer hookup and PIAA lights to the LT. I already had a GPS hooked up. Now I want to add another GPS (the Zumo 665) and the Farkle Bar (which hooks to the battery) to supply power to a cell phone and Itouch.

I know that none of these uses a lot of power individually but should I worry about all of them together?

What if I decide to get Gerbings at a later date?

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2009 K1200LT (traded for GTL)
1984 Kawasaki Spectre: long gone
BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member
Saddle sore 1000 Sept 2011
Bun Burner 1500 Sept 2011

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2012, 5:26 pm

Re: How much can a battery take??

It is not the battery that is the limiter, but the alternator. As long as all the wiring is sized correctly for the circuts, and a proper distrubition setup is used (fuze block) the battery can supply just about anything you can normally use, all at one time. However, if the total load is higher than the alternator rating, you will gradually run the battery down.

The total load applied when the engine is running is basically supplied by the alternator, not the battery. If the load is higher than the alternator output the battery supplies the rest, until the battery runs down. The battery is really there to supply needed current when the alternator is inactive, such as starting, and any devices turned on when the engine is not running.

Once the engine is running, you can take the battery out of the system, and everything will operate as usual.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 6 Old Sep 7th, 2012, 6:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the info.

Sounds like I'll be good to go with adding the 2nd gps.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

post #4 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 10:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthogey
I have added a trailer hookup and PIAA lights to the LT. I already had a GPS hooked up. Now I want to add another GPS (the Zumo 665)
Just a thought but . . . not sure why you need another GPS. If both are running there may be some rf interference between the two units and you may not get accurate info from either.

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #5 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 12:44 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell
Just a thought but . . . not sure why you need another GPS. If both are running there may be some rf interference between the two units and you may not get accurate info from either.
I use two GPS's (a 550 and a 665) for routing and different data points supplied by each. I can route from one while exploring other possibilities with the other. I have XM weather on both but the receivers and data is read differently giving me other useful data while touring across this great land. In other words I like to make sure I know what I'm riding into and how to get around sketchy situations without stopping to re-route and switching back and forth.

I do not get any interference from the two GPS or the V-1 radar detector mounted on the same BMR shelf. I have one GPS wired into the BMW comm system and the other on a separate keyed power source with the audio wired into the AUX port into a device that took the place of the CD player (iPod converter). The power used by the GPS is minimal and have never had a wiring problem or over loaded a circuit.

The power to a heated garment should be wired direct to the battery and retain the fuse block they supply. This will help eliminate a power "voltage drop" from running it through another circuit which is drawing power at the same time. Heated garments need all of the power they can get. So far I have not exceed the power output of my BMW LT however the Suzuki VStrom is another story altogether; the 'Strom is so bad at delivering power when we ride two-up only one of us can use the heated garments at a time. The 'Strom is sold and I will be riding a GSA by next year as a result of my experience with poor charging system outputs.

IHTH

Ernie A
Milwaukie, OR
Member: MOA, AMA, IBA, NRA, MERA
GS911 & GS911 Wifi - Diagnostics Tools Available
2012 K16GTL (3/2018 to present) 67k
2013 R1200GSW
> 28k miles!
2002 K12LT Toscana Green - > 241k miles (Sold)
2006 Suzuki DL1000 V Strom Silver/Blk - >21k (Sold)
SS1K (x4),BB,BtoB(<24),BBG, SS3k

post #6 of 6 Old Sep 8th, 2012, 2:11 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell

That is a fair question, I suppose I could easily get by with 1 gps. I just love electronics and thought it would be neat to experiment with both of them. Maybe have one set on fastest time and the other set on shortest distance. Have one watching the weather and the other on the route. Stuff like that.

David Hogerheide

2015 K1600GTL

BMWMOA# 163123
BMWRA member
AMA member

CCR 2012 Duluth, MN
CCR 2014 Chattanooga, TN

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in