Changing Battery - What should I know?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Changing Battery - What should I know??

Well,

I just picked up my new Odyssey PC680 and am ready to change over. I did a rather quick search on the forums to find the HOW or other comments w.r.t changing batteries, but did not find anything that deals with this.

Is there anything that I NEED to know and keep in mind before/after I do this? Any specific tips on how to tackle this? Or is it just a walk in the park?

I'd appreciate all thoughts and comments. And yes, if someone can provide a link to a previous write up, I'll appreciate that too!!!

BTW, the bike is a 1999 LT

Prakash Krishnamurthy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 R1150RT Titanium Grey

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 11:45 am

The steps...

Pretty simple really...

#1 - Using tie wraps or tape gather ALL the wires and leads coming into each terminal. Separately of course. This is to prevent one or more from becoming lost.

#2 - Remove the NEGATIVE side first. Then the positive side.

#3 - Remove the battery hold downs and lift out the old battery.

#4 - Lower in the new battery and secure.

#5 - Attach POSITIVE side first. Then the negative side.

NOTE: You will get a bit of a spark jump as the negative side is attached - Be prepared.

#6 - Resent the Throttle sensor. Turn the key to the 'ON' position. NOT the 'Start' position. Open the throttle slowly, all the way, and close it... twice.

#7 - Turn key to 'START' position, hit starter and RIDE!

J. Averill Townsend
Bloomfield Hills, MI

IBA# 24374

2002 K1200LTC - Silver
1978 R100/7 - Very, very Black
2004 Bushtec Quantum - Silver, of course...(SOLD)

post #3 of 5 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 1:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JATownsend
Pretty simple really...

#1 - Using tie wraps or tape gather ALL the wires and leads coming into each terminal. Separately of course. This is to prevent one or more from becoming lost.

#2 - Remove the NEGATIVE side first. Then the positive side.

#3 - Remove the battery hold downs and lift out the old battery.

#4 - Lower in the new battery and secure.

#5 - Attach POSITIVE side first. Then the negative side.

NOTE: You will get a bit of a spark jump as the negative side is attached - Be prepared.

#6 - Resent the Throttle sensor. Turn the key to the 'ON' position. NOT the 'Start' position. Open the throttle slowly, all the way, and close it... twice.

#7 - Turn key to 'START' position, hit starter and RIDE!

Thanks for that step-by-step guide!!! I'd have been lost while taking a "walk in the park" if I had not seen #6

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #4 of 5 Old Mar 27th, 2006, 1:06 pm Thread Starter

BTW, I read somewhere that additional "posts" are required to fit the PC680 on the LT. Is this true? Or can I just swap out the wires and drop the battery in place?

Prakash Krishnamurthy

post #5 of 5 Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:06 am

Battery Adapter

Quote:
Originally Posted by unleashd
BTW, I read somewhere that additional "posts" are required to fit the PC680 on the LT. Is this true? Or can I just swap out the wires and drop the battery in place?
On www.ascycles.com they show an adapter bracket the bracket "makes a better fit for the Odyssey battery on your BMW Motorcycle. You might want to check it out. Their price is $7.95.

Rusty Snyder

02 K-1200LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in